Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LAPD SIS, SWAT, 1911s, Gunsite, Point Shooting, Scott Reitz, John Helms

LAPD SIS, SWAT, 1911s, Gunsite, Point Shooting, Scott Reitz, John Helms

Uncle Scotty's latest podcast has retired Detective John Helms as a guest. They talk about the early days of LAPD SWAT, SIS, the transition to 1911's ("grab a couple pistols out of a box of mismatched, seized guns"), the introduction of the Modern Technique into the department, and lots of other stuff. Well worth a listen.

ITTS Podcast: With Deadly Force (internationaltactical.com)

Nuggets, golden nuggets.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Listened a few nights ago and am looking forward to Part 2.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Uncle Scotty's latest podcast has retired Detective John Helms as a guest. They talk about the early days of LAPD SWAT, SIS, the transition to 1911's ("grab a couple pistols out of a box of mismatched, seized guns"), the introduction of the Modern Technique into the department, and lots of other stuff. Well worth a listen.

ITTS Podcast: With Deadly Force (internationaltactical.com)
    I am glad he has new episodes. These are great.

I listened to it once last week and enjoyed it so much I’m listening to the episode again.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

For anyone remotely interested in the modern history of gunfighting, this was fascinating. Can't wait to hear more (what he can get away with telling) about the SIS.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    I am glad he has new episodes. These are great.
    Agree, great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    For anyone remotely interested in the modern history of gunfighting, this was fascinating. Can't wait to hear more (what he can get away with telling) about the SIS.
    Totally agree. This episode (and hopefully the next) seem tailormade for the P-F crowd. I enjoyed the whole thing, but especially liked the story about the "jungle trail" course of fire, and John being the only SWAT cop who hit the target at 50 feet with a M16, and that was because he was "cheating" and using his sights.

Their comments about the early days of SWAT are very familiar to me. We were in the same boat when my old agency stood up our tactical unit. There were many in the upper chain of command who were far from sold on the concept, so funds were extremely limited. Nearly all of our gear was cast off army surplus. The very first piece of equipment I was ever issued was a bayonet, of all things. I asked, " What kind of unit is this exactly?"
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I "think" (assume) he was talking about Wayne and DB when he mentioned being invited to instruct at a seminar, and listening to them separately on podcasts, and thinking he had nothing to add. If so, an awfully nice compliment.

Also, Helms posted a bit on the Smith and Wesson forum about SIS using the 4506, 4566, and 4516. A google search will pop it up for you if interested.

User Tag List