Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog time! My new Caucasian Ovcharka puppy!

Very interesting. I know of a few Kangal and Turkish Boz breeders in the US. All own large farms and wont sell to non farmers. There was some debate in the Caucasian Ovcharka community about the breeds modern origins. The consensus seems to be that while they are heavily derived from the Caucasian Livestock Gaurdian Breeds they themselves are a separate selectively bred dog. The Soviets used them for police and prison work as well as guarding the Berlin Wall.

However I struggle to see how. They seem extremely headstrong and independent like other livestock guardian breeds. I researched the breed for years prior to getting one and nearly went with a Dogo or Central Asian. I think I made the right choice and didnt have expectations of IPO type certs like with my GSD.

Fun fact apparently the Soviets bred Caucasians to Newfoundlands in the hopes of making a tougher water rescue dog. They called it the "Moscow Diver". They ended up scrapping the program because allegedly the dogs were more likely to swim out to those in need of rescue and savage them rather than save them! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    Same thing outside with fertilizers and pesticides. A friend had his Corgi get really sick IIRC from something his landscaping guy used.
    Fortunately we have moved away from that. We have very nice neighbors who own an organic farm and politely requested we obstain from spraying. We honor this. They have excellent produce.

Edit: Just purchased $80 worth of "tactical" styled dog gear from Chewy. All in Ranger Green. Yes I am that lame.
    Last edited by Mercworx; 08-03-2021 at 10:09 PM.
    “Archer not arrow. No such thing as a perfect pistol. Until you commit to being a better archer, you’ll keep hunting for a better arrow.”

-JCN

Quote Originally Posted by Mercworx View Post

Edit: Just purchased $80 worth of "tactical" styled dog gear from Chewy. All in Ranger Green. Yes I am that lame.
    I've made my fair share of purchases from Chewy.

These places also:
    https://www.rayallen.com/
    https://leerburg.com/ <-- Their Amish leather leashes are outstanding.
    https://store.sportdog.com/locator-beacon <-- Night Ops: AKA walks and activities after dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Aren't Ovcharkas what Scott Horvath's agency hacker has for guard dogs?
    This was the only place I had heard of them too. The book describes them as very trainable, loyal, and huge.

Unfortunately, it is 2021, so I find the name racist and I am offended...
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Quote Originally Posted by DC_P View Post
    This was the only place I had heard of them too. The book describes them as very trainable, loyal, and huge.

Unfortunately, it is 2021, so I find the name racist and I am offended...
    Makes me want to revisit the books actually. Also maybe its just in my head but when we would take her out to socialize her I felt an intial weird stare when stating her breed. Id quickly give the geography lesson and people seem to understand. Ive taken to calling her by one of their informal titles (Russian Mountain Dog) and it raises no eyebrows.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    I've made my fair share of purchases from Chewy.

These places also:
    https://www.rayallen.com/
    https://leerburg.com/ <-- Their Amish leather leashes are outstanding.
    https://store.sportdog.com/locator-beacon <-- Night Ops: AKA walks and activities after dark.
    I will check them out! I would like a nicer leash and collar for her. Thank you.

I will drop in a few more pics today.
    “Archer not arrow. No such thing as a perfect pistol. Until you commit to being a better archer, you’ll keep hunting for a better arrow.”

-JCN

A few additional pics. Having to resize some of them so hopefully there is no issue.

I purhcased the Durvet Chlorhexidine Solution recommended to me by JohnO as well as an Amish Leather Padded Collar for her. Looks very sharp.

Last edited by Mercworx; 08-04-2021 at 02:58 PM.

-JCN

Wow, thank you for taking the time to share these resources with me! I will be ordering the anti bacterial agent today along with a spray bottle. Never thought about what we use on our floors either. Good info.

I'm really enjoying having her with us. So far a wonderful dog.

Thank you!

Thats really cool, thank you for sharing. Kangals look like fantastic dogs as well but I heard they are true livestock guardians and dislike much else.

We have pulled back on letting strangers pet her now.
    They are killing machines from good working lines .. I also had an Anatolian Shepperd which some say are the same dogs.
    My Anatolian was a very tall dog and was the alpha over my Bandogs ,.. he killed a few Coyotes like they where toys.

Name:  PICT0373 (2).jpg
Views: 411
Size:  40.9 KB

I now have Perro de Presa Canario dogs ..my youngest one just turned a year old .. he is 150 pounds and 29" at the withers.
    They are also Farm dogs that will do very well at protection work. They are not a good choice for first time dog owners JMO.
    Name:  20210802_114448 (3).jpg
Views: 407
Size:  60.1 KB

I am getting a Pup from a freaky breeding ..this is the Male that will be the Sire ..he is 171 pounds of freak.
    Name:  156034545_2001972049942596_6014985711210855172_n (2).jpg
Views: 404
Size:  30.0 KB

A few additional pics. Having to resize some of them so hopefully there is no issue.

I purhcased the Durvet Chlorhexidine Solution recommended to me by JohnO as well as an Amish Leather Padded Collar for her. Looks very sharp.

You are going to be very happy !!! they are awesome dogs !!!

Thank you!

Thats really cool, thank you for sharing. Kangals look like fantastic dogs as well but I heard they are true livestock guardians and dislike much else.

We have pulled back on letting strangers pet her now.[/QUOTE]

Smart move ..you never know when some A hole is going to rough house or do some thing stupid.
    Kids have a bad habit of pulling ears or poking eyes ..
    Other dogs is also a no no in my book ..if your pup gets bite by another dog they might wind up being aggressive towards dogs.
    If you trust the other dog than play time can be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Aren't Ovcharkas what Scott Horvath's agency hacker has for guard dogs?
    The "Troll" Nicholas gave him a puppy Caucasian Ovcharka, after Scott saved one of his, after it got shot. Scott named his Bullet, after a friend who got killed in the NYC attack.

Nicholas is no a good guy and "the old man" even allowed at work with him. Arcos and Dracos are the dogs names, if my memory serves......

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mitchum View Post
    They are killing machines from good working lines .. I also had an Anatolian Shepperd which some say are the same dogs.
    My Anatolian was a very tall dog and was the alpha over my Bandogs ,.. he killed a few Coyotes like they where toys.

Name:  PICT0373 (2).jpg
Views: 411
Size:  40.9 KB

I now have Perro de Presa Canario dogs ..my youngest one just turned a year old .. he is 150 pounds and 29" at the withers.
    They are also Farm dogs that will do very well at protection work. They are not a good choice for first time dog owners JMO.
    Name:  20210802_114448 (3).jpg
Views: 407
Size:  60.1 KB

I am getting a Pup from a freaky breeding ..this is the Male that will be the Sire ..he is 171 pounds of freak.
    Name:  156034545_2001972049942596_6014985711210855172_n (2).jpg
Views: 404
Size:  30.0 KB
    Thank you for sharing those pictures. Your Presa looks great. I looked at them briefly (owned Game Bred American Pitbulls Terriers in the past). I felt the Presas drive and power wasn't the best fit for me at this time. Same reason I ended up steering away from the Dogo Argentino (despite it being my first choice). Caucasians are known to be relatively lower energy in most situations which I think was better for my family.

I also owned a Rottie (non working lines) and a West German GSD. Almost got a working line GSD this time around from Coldwater Kennels in NC but again the hyper drive turned me away. Just thought it be too much with a young child as well. I find myself drawn to the Jadgterrier for my next dog but have heard if you dont hunt to not even bother. I know some people successfully keep Patterdales as strictly pets but work/excerise them daily.

Not sure what the next addition will be.

I had heard that about Anatolians and Kangals. Apparently the AKC now recognizes them as the same breed. My understanding is in Turkey they are very dependent upon which region they arrive from. Seems to me the Turkish Boz is no different than a Sivas Kangal save for appearing larger

That final picture is incredible. Is that also a Presa? Or is it a XL Bully?

-JCN

User Tag List