Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Dog time! My new Caucasian Ovcharka puppy!

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Boxers keel over randomly a lot. They often die right there. It’s a thing, a forum member had this happen.
    I have a friend and neighbor who's GSD keeled over and died right in front of their eyes. They were playing with the dog in the house and he went down. The dogs tongue went white and he was gone.

He was a outstanding example of a Germen Shepherd Dog. Approximately 2 years old, an import from the Czech Republic acquired through a highly respected breeder.

Here one minute gone the next! The family was devastated. His name was Radar.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    I have a friend and neighbor who's GSD keeled over and died right in front of their eyes. They were playing with the dog in the house and he went down. The dogs tongue went white and he was gone.

He was a outstanding example of a Germen Shepherd Dog. Approximately 2 years old, an import from the Czech Republic acquired through a highly respected breeder.

Here one minute gone the next! The family was devastated. His name was Radar.

I would be devastated. Did they ever determine the cause?

Sounds like a stellar dog. The working GSD lines out of the Czech Republic are superb.

Can find some working Rottie lines from there as well.

Some recent pictures (please pardon the yard and fence line. I am in the process of cleaning off the fence and installing a new one. Also laying cedar shavings on some of the mud patches, I apologize).

Last edited by Mercworx; 04-09-2022 at 09:52 AM.
    “Archer not arrow. No such thing as a perfect pistol. Until you commit to being a better archer, you’ll keep hunting for a better arrow.”

-JCN

Quote Originally Posted by Hemiram View Post
    I have a friend who used to have a Rott/Doberman mix, about 100 pounds and he was just obsessed with the "job" of watchdog. He was as bad patroling the house at all hours, as my late dog King was about hunting mice, but not as violent and deadly as King was to the mice. He lived to almost 12, and I guess he was happy at his job, but he wasn't exactly pleasant to be around. They lived in an older house back then and it creaked and groaned a lot, and just about everything set him into patrol mode. If you tried to get him to just sit and relax, it wasn't going to happen, and the night patrols tended to wake up my friend's daughter, whose bedroom was at the top of the stairs. I was over there one night and fell asleep in a recliner watching a movie. "Max" was getting up there and he apparently forgot I was there. He had known me since the day they got him at 9 weeks. I woke up, and my friend and his wife had both fallen asleep too, and I had to hit the bathroom, bad, and I got up quickly and went around the corner and almost ran into Max, who had heard us/me get up, and he was ready for action. He sounded "Red Alert" and I said, "It's me, you idiot!", he growled at me and came towards me with his head down and I could see the hair was up on his back. Luckily, he smelled me or it kicked in who I was, and his little stubby tail went into high gear. He did insist on taking me into the bathroom as usual. Not long after that, he was diagnosed with kidney failure and about 6 months later, he got put down. The Doberman who replaced him, "Jack" has a much more laid back work ethic, one patrol at bedtime, and only certain noises set him off, like people talking outside where he can hear them but not see them. When I go over there, he sits on my feet and leans against my legs, and then the ball comes out and he's relentless with it, along with the chin rubs that Doberman and Dobe mixes, like King and Molly, really like. Jack also is totally unafraid of all the noises that frighten most dogs, like fireworks, thunder, etc. That was the thing about King and Molly that made them so easy to live with, the lack of fear during the mid May to mid July fireworks season. Yes, that's how long it lasts here, most years, two months of bangs, pops, and screaming rockets. King and Molly actually would go outside and watch the neighbors shoot them off, until they got tired of the noise. They were the quietest dogs I've ever been around. When I took King to work, he barked 10X as much as he did at home, and the other employees would remark how quiet he was. I would cringe at first when he barked, but after a while, I realized all the other dogs barked way more then he did, so I relaxed. He got tossed out of work when some visitor came in with his cell phone in his hand and King thought it was food and grabbed at it as he walked past him. He really missed coming to work with me..
    Both sound like solid dogs. Funny that a good mutt can do that job just as well as anything else. Euro Dobermans are fantastic but so hard to find and expensive. Also I was hoping my next dog could at least hang for some time outside in the snow with our CO. We don’t leave our dogs outside all day anyways but she loves the snow and id like for her companion to be able to join her for extended time outside during those conditions.

Thank you for sharing it reminded me of a couple things.

Our girl never comes off duty and she has certainly woken the babies more than a few times (wife was NOT happy). She definitely needs to patrol/work. Having her inside too long is not good for her though she seems happy with a 60-40 split, but she definitely needs that sense of work. We make sure to praise the behavior when appropriate and correct but not punish when inappropriate. The issue is she will raise hell at something that at least from my perspective is clearly not a threat. A man walking his dog on the other side of the street heading away from the house gets a response. I’m sure things like this may mature out of her with age and wisdom. On the other hand she’s been asleep inside twice now when we were solicited for services (fine people but still). Not a huge deal but made me go “come on now girl…at least get up for these”

We have some critters around but none that concern me. I purchased this breed solely because it is human suspicious/aggressive. Her job is to dissuade people from approaching the home and she’s “sort” of good at this I guess? Lol we are all learning. Me more than anyone. When she is aware someone strange is at the house she has absolutely held her ground ferociously (Amazon delivery man etc) even still I think peering over the fence or peaking in my window and seeing a GSD would accomplish the same deterrence as my CO.

Not sure I shared this but I went up on the hill to clean up the fence (remove overgrowth) I was behind the tree line and our girl was inside. She was raising some hell so I texted the wife she could be let out. Holy cow did she come HAULING ass up this hill to confront “me”. I mean she’s my dog and she scared me, took her longer than I would of liked for her to recognize me but it renewed my respect for the breed. She showed NO fear when charging me.
    “Archer not arrow. No such thing as a perfect pistol. Until you commit to being a better archer, you’ll keep hunting for a better arrow.”

-JCN

User Tag List