Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thread locker?

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Some people swear by Vibratite and some people swear at it. I use it for light applications like scope rings on a .223, or weapon lights. Things that needs to stay put, but still not be a bear to remove.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    Some people swear by Vibratite and some people swear at it. I use it for light applications like scope rings on a .223, or weapon lights. Things that needs to stay put, but still not be a bear to remove.
    Currently using Vibra-tite for optics. No complaints so far. Prep is important. Degrease screws and female threads with alcohol or acetone. I don't trust pre-applied blue (242). I remove it if possible. Sometimes I scuff it off with a wire brush, degrease and reapply. It doesn't take much to be effective. Though I don't trust blue on pistol MRDS'. I also always use a torque wrench. Just like building engines. I pre-torque bolts, screws about 1/2-2/3 before finishing to final torque spec.

Most issues I've seen are screws under or over torqued on pistol optics. Loose or overtighted they fail at the screwhead. Also poor prep or loaded with loctite.

Good results with this Wera torque wrench.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003KN3GAK...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Student
    Here's a fairly recent thread from last year where people talked about Vibra-Tite when it came to red dot sights.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....048-Vibra-Tite

Site Supporter
    Loctite 248 "chapstick" is very easy to use! Thanks to @SoCalDep for showing me the true way!
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    @Les Pepperoni maybe can give follow up feedback on how it’s working for his plate.
    I had some issue with the LTT plate and optic mount...

Initially, I think they used some VibraTite and it just backed out after a few thousand rounds.

I tried the JCN method, but, there are bit that need to move on the Beretta top-end under the plate (springs, FP block, etc). That failed, I think because I used old Loctite.

I stripped the plate, cleaned the pockets and screws with acetone and isopropyl. Let it dry really well, then used fresh Loctite blue #242 (shake it well and apply without spilling the shit everywhere).

So far, it has held (~1500 rounds so far).

I think the trick is really in the surface prep details.

While the RDO is clearly the future, the prep work, checking, etc is something you need to be consistent with.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Loctite 242 or 243 are your typical purpose threadlocker for this purpose (243 having more oil resistance and thus considered the "upgraded" version); 248 would be the stick version. Just being pedantic here, but "Blue" Loctite in it of itself is a whole line of products by Henkel, so while 242 and 243 are the most common of them, it's better (IMO) to actually reference the number, too.
    243 for me.

And because this is PF, here's a chart:

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 11.42.14 AM.jpg
Views: 2458
Size:  67.9 KB

Okie John
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Following the thread with interest. I can only add anecdotally that so far Blue/Medium threadlocker has worked (no screws backing out per witness marks) on three Holosun installs so far for me. Holosun in particular mentions "blue/medium" thread locker in their user manual.

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 914
Size:  25.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    243 for me.

And because this is PF, here's a chart:

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 11.42.14 AM.jpg
Views: 2458
Size:  67.9 KB

Okie John
    I did have a follow up on Okie's post.

I saw that chart, and based on that, and screw size, it would seem you would end up using Purple. I was intrigued enough to email Henkel and ask, specifically, for mounting mini red dot sights, with the screw sizes I gleaned off the manufacturers plate/optic web sites (which are well under 1/4" obviously), would they then recommend purple for that application. I did this twice, using direct email, as as well their "contact" page (IIRC) but never did receive a reply back from the company, so I just kept using Blue/medium.

When talking about optics and people say _____ has worked great for me so far it would helpful if we put it in context of round count.

Thanks for the heads up.

I use E6000 (available at Walmart or Amazon) for $7 or so.

I use a small dollop between slide and plate and squeeze to press fit so the screws don’t have to take the shear load.

It’s nice because it stays a little rubbery. It’s also easy to rub off later without residue like rubber cement.

Never had an issue since through tens of thousands of rounds.

I like it for plates because you can’t tell if they’re loose under an optic and I wanted a reversible option.

These days I use a very small amount for sealed bottom optics (SRO, Holosun 507) too.
    Sample size of 1 but after JCN posted this awhile back and his round counts across multiple guns I did this. my SRO screws came loose using Loctite only and after switching to this method I’m about 1,800 rounds in and the screws have not moved. It’s not a big round count by any means but better than the few hundred I got from Loctite only.

Site Supporter
    (Confirmed) I use the “industrial.”

Attachment 75171

Even though it uses buzzwords like “industrial” and “permanent” it’s really not when it comes to metal. It’s easily removable.
    Thanks for this... I happen to have some of this stuff at home and I'm in the process of mounting a RDS... will give it a try...
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    When talking about optics and people say _____ has worked great for me so far it would helpful if we put it in context of round count.
    Most recently, LocTite 243 has worked great for me on all fasteners for two Nightforce SHV 3-10, one in SWFA rings and one in Leupold PRW rings. Warne bases for both. The 308 is a 700, the 30-06 is a Model 70. Each weighs ~8 pounds, so no flyweights. Round count is about 1,500 rounds of full-power ammo split about evenly between the two rifles.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List