Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thread locker?

Site Supporter
    I attached my SRO and CHWPS plate yesterday. Here’s an instructional video put out by CHWPS that I think is pretty good.

https://youtu.be/5WYLywG3qaA

I used Loctite 242 after watching this video. I almost went with E6000 per the feedback here. Decided not to at the last second. We’ll see the amount of corrosion and rust I saw under the plate, in the screws, under the rear sight from EDC’ing the Glock 34 AIWB made me leery of introducing anything and leaving it untouched for years that I don’t have direct experience with.

YMMV. I figured attach this clip. I replaced the sights as well - the Loctite on the front sight of my G34 seemed to have disappeared. The sight was still attached. I wonder if it burnt off or was older. I bought a new tube of 242 Loc-Tite and I’ll buy a new tube of 271 when I’m at Lowe’s again. I am going to try putting a thin coat on Loctite 271 on the bottom of the front sight post.

I think Les’ and CHWPS advice are both relevant. Sight prep and slide prep is huge. I think heat build up in slides is also a factor.

I remember some guys here used to advocate the green Loctite for the front sight.

ETA: The other conclusion I come to is I’ve used open and previously used Loctite. I think I need to keep an eye on the expiration date or buy new Loc-Tite.
    Last edited by BWT; 08-06-2021 at 09:14 AM.
    God Bless,

Brandon

^^^ Some of the Green loctites are seriously permanent shit... As in you may have to break/drill out a sight if you want to remove it depending on which green one you use.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    ^^^ Some of the Green loctites are seriously permanent shit... As in you may have to break/drill out a sight if you want to remove it depending on which green one you use.
    Oh I never had the guts to do it. But I believe a former moderator JV did it. I only worked up to 271 after wondering why my shooting was so weird on a Glock one day and brushed the front sight and it wiggled.

I use 242 and 271 for a specific application - ETA: specifically the front sight screw of a Glock. I replaced my 34 sights yesterday and because of this thread I was curious would it break free without heat and it did. It seems my concerns were well founded.

How I plan on addressing that is only applying 271 recently acquired. I had a mostly full tube, but I figure it’s been in a cabinet for a few years. Time to buy new, shake up, and label them with dates.
    God Bless,

Brandon

I need to re-stick my Dawson sight on G17.

Anecdote Alert.
    Some years ago, FLG was assembling compensators for USPSA shooters and having trouble getting them to stay put. He rang the changes on Loctites and ended up with green. Not 290 "medium-high strength thread locker", but 620 sleeve retainer. That stuck them, by gum.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Some years ago, Greg "Sully" Sullivan advocated for clear nail polish as a thread locker during armorer courses that I attended for both shotguns and AR-15.
    I've been using it, blue or red Loctite, and a little VC3 alternately. I haven't had any notable failures, but I would not consider myself "high-volume" by any stretch.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    I need to re-stick my Dawson sight on G17.

Anecdote Alert.
    Some years ago, FLG was assembling compensators for USPSA shooters and having trouble getting them to stay put. He rang the changes on Loctites and ended up with green. Not 290 "medium-high strength thread locker", but 620 sleeve retainer. That stuck them, by gum.
    Let me know if you’re fearless enough.

You know if I had a drill press. I rarely ever change sights. Semi-permanently attaching a sight sounds more and more reasonable at a certain point than this discovery effort. You know?
    God Bless,

Brandon

I use Loctite 243.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

After a lot of experimentation and beautiful failures I've settled on 243 (or chapstick version of the same) for pistol red dot mounting/Glock front sights and Vibratite for holster hardware.

I tried some green wicking loctite on a finicky front sight for a LTT 92 and it worked well for about 2k rounds before the sight worked loose again. Switched to Rocksett per LTT and no issues so far. Also Rocksett for gas block set screws.

E6000 must be the WD-40 of adhesives. I have used it to reattach shoe soles and patch holes in rubber boots. Never thought of it having an application to firearms, but, why not?
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Site Supporter
    You know I was in Lowe’s I walked past the adhesive section.

I saw E6000 clear - double checked this thread. I bought it, removed my SRO and plate. I put E6000 in there. I’ll let you guys know how it goes and 242 on the screws.

My pistol rest arrives tomorrow. I figured I haven’t zero’d it yet - do it now. The only tricky part on G34 MOS is there is a pocket milled out where the plate mates. I’m wondering if it’ll impact things.

I’ll keep track of round count and let you guys know.
    God Bless,

Brandon

User Tag List