Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W Model 439 Question

S&W Model 439 Question

I’m looking at picking up a single stack Smith pistol, either a 439/639 or 3906.

I read an article that made an oblique reference to the fact that the second gen Smith & Wesson pistols decocked to the half-cock position. This means that the double action pull was more refined than the Gen 3 pistols, which fully decocked. Is this true?

I’m specifically asking about the 439 or 639, but I think this applies to all the gen 2 pistols.

Is this a reason to get a 439 instead of a 3906?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve handled a few of the second Gen Smiths and don’t remember anything different about the decocking. What I do remember, vividly, is that I’ve never seen a second Gen Smith with a DA pull as nice as a third Gen.

I personally have a soft spot for the third Gen S&W autos, but the only way I’d plunk down money for a Gen 2 is if it was something very rare or very cool. Get, say, a 459 and a 5903 side by side and it’s pretty obvious to me why the changes were made.

Unfortunately, I believe you will have a much more difficult time finding a 3906 than a 439. I’ve personally laid eyes and hands on a bunch of 39s, probably 5 of the 439/539 era guns, and exactly 0 of the 3906 guns. The 909 is a value series version of the third Gen model 39 btw, in case you come across one of those. By the time the third Gen smiths were out there, a full size single stack 9 was just not a hot commodity at all.

Yeah, the 3906 appears to only have been made for 2 years, so they’re not too common. I have a line on one, but was wondering if the 439 was better.

I absolutely hate the hooked trigger guard on the early 3rd gen Smiths. All of the 3906s have them, to my knowledge.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    Yeah, the 3906 appears to only have been made for 2 years, so they’re not too common. I have a line on one, but was wondering if the 439 was better.

I absolutely hate the hooked trigger guard on the early 3rd gen Smiths. All of the 3906s have them, to my knowledge.

I have had 3 single stack 9mm 3rd gens. All were compacts, though: 3913LS, 3913, and a DAO 39xx (I can’t remember off the top of my head the exact #). All were good. I’ve handled one or two 3906s, but they didn’t grab my attention. I divested myself of most of my 3rd gens, but kept the 3913 as it has the best trigger, and my daughter who rarely shoots has claimed it as her favorite centerfire. The only other one still here is the 4516-1 because it’s an Officer-size .45ACP that actually works without any fuss. When I want to pack a .45, that’s the gun I grab.

If I come across a nice condition 4506, that will probably be an expensive day.

I would like to go hands on with a 3906. The problem with the 3904/6 is that, as you mentioned they were made for 2 years, thus there are far fewer magazines than 3913/3953s. They are pricey, and now approaching the $60 mark, whereas 3913 mags are about half that.

S&W Model 439 Question

Quote Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
    I would like to go hands on with a 3906. The problem with the 3904/6 is that, as you mentioned they were made for 2 years, thus there are far fewer magazines than 3913/3953s. They are pricey, and now approaching the $60 mark, whereas 3913 mags are about half that.
    One of the things prompting this is that I inherited a bunch of mags for the 3906, but no pistol. I’m in a ban state, so it makes sense from a p-f point of view. [emoji3]

One of the things prompting this is that I inherited a bunch of mags for the 3906, but no pistol. I’m in a ban state, so it makes sense from a p-f point of view. [emoji3]
    In that case, I'd go with the 3906. There is still quite a bit of parts available for many 3rd gens, one just need to look outside of the normal channels. 3904/6 share the majority of parts commonality with the 3913 and 6906. Those that dont share commonality with the 5906/3.

If you hate the hooked trigger guard, I am not a fan either, it shouldnt be a huge chore for a good gunsmith to round it off. Heck if you do that, have the 'smith dehorn the whole gun. Novak actually does some real nice work on S&W 3rd gens.

I am tempted to ask if you wanna go gun-for-gun and mag-for-mag with me for either my 3953 or 3913. If not, buy my 3904/6 mags!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
    In that case, I'd go with the 3906. There is still quite a bit of parts available for many 3rd gens, one just need to look outside of the normal channels. 3904/6 share the majority of parts commonality with the 3913 and 6906. Those that dont share commonality with the 5906/3.

If you hate the hooked trigger guard, I am not a fan either, it shouldnt be a huge chore for a good gunsmith to round it off. Heck if you do that, have the 'smith dehorn the whole gun. Novak actually does some real nice work on S&W 3rd gens.

I am tempted to ask if you wanna go gun-for-gun and mag-for-mag with me for either my 3953 or 3913. If not, buy my 3904/6 mags!
    There’s a 3904 on gunbroker right now hovering at $360. That’s a great price. If you end up with one, hit me up. I have a lot of 3906 magazines, I think police trade-in from past decades. I’ll cut you a serious deal.

Site Supporter
    I have a 645--which is officially a second gen.

It does have a half-cock notch. But the lever fully decocks the gun, just like any 3rd gen, or a Beretta 92, etc. It's definitely not like a CZ, where the hammer ends up half cocked when you trip the lever. Not really sure why the half cock notch is there, on the earlier Smiths. And, I guess, neither did they... because they took that feature out of the 3rd gens.

Agree on the DA trigger on 2nd vs. 3rd gens. My 3rd gen Smiths, in my opinion, have the best DA trigger pulls of all the DA/SA autos I've used. Not necessarily the lightest, but zero stacking, hitching or catching. Seems like there's very little overtravel, too--because the sights never bounce when the hammer falls.

My 645's (2nd) trigger isn't terrible, but there is a bit of a hitch/stacking in the travel. Definitely prefer the 3rd gens.

My buddy has a 3906. Feels more more or less like a slender 5906 (as you'd expect). But the grip is a little too thin for me. Same with a 3913. 6906/04 shoots better for me... but of course YMMV.

Having had first, second, and third gen S&W guns, the 3rd gen are the best triggers. Thinking about this makes me nostalgic about my first decade plus in LE.

If S&W still made 3rd gen guns, especially if cut for optics, I'd be all over them. Sadly.. they don't, and mine have gone away.

If you're looking for traditional iron sights and double action then any of the S&W semi autos would be a good choice, and the third gen would be the best of the bunch.

My intro to S&W autos was a 6906 as an off-duty gun. Shortly after that I got a 3913TSW and around that time I was running a 4506 on duty and a 4566 off duty when not carrying the 6906 or 3913. I'd wanted a CS9 for a while and ended up with a CS45, which I carried as a backup gun on duty for a couple years.

Later I finally scored a CS9 and a couple years later I got a 3914. I also traded into a 915 which was customized by the Dept armorer (he's a lot more than an armorer). In addition, I got a 4513TSW that was an off duty gun for a while. I had the opportunity to pick up a 2nd gen 645 which was a nice gun but not totally reliable.

My Department has a couple 2nds gen 9mm S&W guns, and I'm not such a fan, but I managed to pick up a first gen S&W 39 from a buddy years ago. This was probably 2013 or so. I had it for a couple years, but he wanted it back and I let him have it. I really liked it and it rivaled my love for the 3rd gen guns.

User Tag List