Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Aftermarket G19 Frame?

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I just bought a Lone Wolf frame. I'll report back on how I like it.
    So...about that.

I received my LW Timberwolf frame. I got the completely built one because Glock parts are in relatively short supply still.

I mated it to the top end of my Gen3 G17 with an LVU serial prefix.

I did this with no ammo because I wanted to ensure the combo was safe. Good thing I did, as it was horrific. That frame as built from LWD when combined with my slide/barrel assembly would have produced a runaway gun the first time a loaded magazine was put into it. On the occasions where I could actually get the trigger bar to catch the striker, the trigger would actually pull itself if ANY pressure was applied to the trigger. As in you touch it, you remove your finger, and then you watch the trigger go to the rear and the thing fires.

I took the frame apart and replaced the disconnector, trigger bar, and trigger return spring with the same from my Gen3 pistol and that improved things significantly. (I had to tweak the factory disconnector) It was no longer horrifically unsafe...but it wasn't perfect either. While it's better, if you cycle the slide while holding pressure on the trigger just right it will cause the gun to fail to reset. Thankfully it doesn't drop the striker, it just fails to reset the trigger.

The LW frame seems to sit the slide a bit higher on the gun than the factory frame rails which likely produces this sort of result.

I took it to the range and shot about 150 rounds through it. I didn't experience any function issues in live fire, including the aforementioned failure to reset. I've only been able to produce that in dryfire. I have no idea how that record will hold in the long run, but I plan to do more shooting with the gun in the near future to evaluate it.

It is not a configuration I would trust for carry right now.

As best I can tell, this combination of the LW frame and my slide assembly are not compatible with one another...which isn't a shock. Injection molding in mass volume requires significant technical proficiency and requires deep knowledge of how the molds being used perform over time. Every time they are used, the molds wear. Eventually they have to be replaced. Even tiny variations in the recipe of the polymer being used have significant impacts on the end product.

When you swirl all that together with a number of other QC related issues regarding dimensions and mass production, you get a shitload of variables that must be accounted for to result in a functional product. Glock knows what those variables are and how they change. Nobody else making various Glock bits does.

And that's how you get the problem I'm dealing with. The grip on the frame itself is fantastic. It vastly reduces the tendency of the gun to cut the shit out of me with the slide. It's really, really nice.

Unfortunately it is, like so many other aftermarket Glock products, reverse engineered from some subset of Glock pistols without knowledge of the dimensions on the literally tens of millions of Gen3 pistols Glock has manufactured over almost a quarter century. Which means it's always going to be iffy with a large number of pistols. LW's own parts in the frame are terrible with my gun and it flat doesn't work with other popular aftermarket fire control bits like the stuff from Apex. (Which is the only manufacturer I trust on striker guns)

I imagine this gun will become a range-only gun that I leave iron sighted for those occasions when I need to teach with an irons gun.
    3/15/2016

I did some math and I’m pretty sure I could buy a new Gen 4 19 and a Shadow systems frame for less money than buying the frame and components separately. As far as that goes I could almost buy a complete MR920 for the same money. I guess it makes sense if someone is already sitting on a Gen 4 19 but not to build one from scratch.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

So...about that.

I received my LW Timberwolf frame. I got the completely built one because Glock parts are in relatively short supply still.

I mated it to the top end of my Gen3 G17 with an LVU serial prefix.

I did this with no ammo because I wanted to ensure the combo was safe. Good thing I did, as it was horrific. ....
    I'm an anecdotal N of 1, but I can confirm a bad experience with one of those as well. In my case, the result was a Glock 93R. No amount of parts swapping fixed it, so the frame was disposed of. In fairness to the company, I didn't bother contacting them as I wasn't interested in a replacement and just wanted to be done with the thing. I really try not to focus negatively on companies, but every LWD part I've ever had (barrels, 1 frame, connectors, trigger housings, maybe a few other parts) has had one problem or another. I would stay well away from those Timberwolf frames.

Regardless of what frame anyone goes with, at minimum, buy one of those orange slide inspection plates and check your striker engagement religiously.
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    I imagine this gun will become a range-only gun that I leave iron sighted for those occasions when I need to teach with an irons gun.
    TC, any reason you're leaving it be rather than trying to get a replacement from LW? I'd be worried after discovering that many issues that there could be something I've yet to discover.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    TC, any reason you're leaving it be rather than trying to get a replacement from LW? I'd be worried after discovering that many issues that there could be something I've yet to discover.
    I don't expect to get much of an answer, really.

But I'll contact them eventually. At the moment I'm just busy.
    3/15/2016

Site Supporter
    If I had a dissatisfied customer, I would certainly want to know what was going wrong and why, so that the problem could be fixed with that customer and prevented with future ones. Having never dealt with Lone Wolf, I would start with the assumption that they are the same way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    I don't expect to get much of an answer, really.

But I'll contact them eventually. At the moment I'm just busy.
    Gotcha, understood.

Thanks for posting up your experiences with it.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

User Tag List