Thread: Walther PDP BUIS + Glocks

Walther PDP BUIS + Glocks

I recently saw Walther's release of a set of RDS iron sights for the PDP. Because I'm a weirdo and constantly entertaining myself with thinking of out of the ordinary projects, I thought I'd try these sights on a G34 ACRO setup I've been putting together. Yes, Walther sights on a Glock. LOL

The gun in question is a gen3 G34, RTF2 frame, and a Brownells ACRO cut slide.

Name:  IMG_1317_tn.jpg
Views: 2210
Size:  49.2 KB Name:  IMG_1315_tn.jpg
Views: 2331
Size:  21.2 KB

Basic Specs:
    • Serrated front and rear
    • .150" rear notch, .125" width front
    • Stainless set screw rear, stainless screw front
    • Square notch rear

Sight Dimensions

Dimension Measurement (inches)
    Front Blade Width .125
    Front Blade Height .248
    Front Screw Length .224
    Overall Front Height .295
    Rear Notch Width .150
    Rear Notch Depth .114
    Rear Blade Height .270
    Overall Rear Height .352
    Overall Rear Width .731

Name:  rear-sight-dimensions.jpg
Views: 2029
Size:  26.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1298_tn.jpg
Views: 1974
Size:  30.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1302_tn.jpg
Views: 1965
Size:  23.7 KB

I have yet to test this combo, but a few things stand out. The rear blade height is similar to the factory Glock G20/21 height of .272. Also, in comparison with Warren Sevigny's for a G34, typically you have a .250" rear blade height and a .245" front. I suspect these are going to shoot high and I'll probably have to swap out the front for something between a typical .215" and .245". What's nice is, with this particular Brownells ACRO slide, the sights only appear to stick into the RDS window maybe 2-3mm I'd guess. It seems far less intrusive than a typical set of Ameriglo GL-429's.

Sight Fitment
    Aesthetically-speaking, I am quite liking these sights! The edges are nicely dehorned. Not to a perfect degree, but the facets are such that there are no substantially sharp edges like there were with the original Trijicon HD's. Additionally, there is something subtle about these sights many might miss, but it's a nice touch and not one I've seen on many Glock irons before. The dovetail tenon has angled facets cut on all 4 corners. This makes insertion in the dovetail a breeze!

As far as the front sight, the screw is quite long. You get a significant degree of thread engagement with these. Fitment of the tenon in the slide cutout felt similar to most other sights I've used from Ameriglo, Trijicon, Warren, etc. Slight lateral play, but nothing major.

Name:  IMG_1295_tn.jpg
Views: 1970
Size:  49.2 KB

In the case of these sights on this particular slide, the rear sight fit into the dovetail by hand a little over 1/3. In my experience, often if they fit somewhere between 1/3 to 1/2, you can sometimes get away with a press fit without any filing. In this case, I was able to press the sight in with an MGW tool (MGW 309S for straight side Glock sights) without abnormal resistance, and with zero filing. YMMV The other nice thing is the cylindrical cuts present on both sides so you can easily use a round brass or aluminum punch to install, if you prefer, and without worrying about the punch slipping.

The fitment of the rear sight is good and does not have significant gaps anywhere. If viewing in front of a light source, you can see ever so slightly that the lower portion of the dovetail tenon is not exactly the same angle as the slide dovetail (at least with this slide). So you'll see a small amount of light shine through, but nothing significant. The level of resistance when pressing this sight in felt good, and between that fitment and the set screw + loctite 248, I highly doubt I'll see movement.

Name:  IMG_1304_tn.jpg
Views: 1962
Size:  23.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1306_tn.jpg
Views: 1987
Size:  24.5 KB

Range results to come...
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

That cavity in the rear sight, specifically for a punch, is a pretty neat idea- one wonders why that’s not more common.

Too late to edit- I would add that it seems these are being made by Trijicon, for Walther.

You’re gonna need about a .265” tall front to get those to print like a .250/.245 set.

Cool

Nothing wrong with improvising

Who's slide release are you running with?

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Who's slide release are you running with?

Best, Jon
    Kagwerks. At first, those might look weird or like a gimmick to people. They are legit and work very well with eliminating issues of an aggressive and high grip that causes failure to lock on the last round or premature lock back. Main issue is potentially holster fitment. For kydex, at least a heatgun can make quick work of that, or worst case a dremel and cutting some of the sweat guard.

Of course, leather can be reformed as well, but not sure if weirdo PF'ers with $200 leather holsters are down with modifying their handcrafted masterpieces. #ShotsFired jk

On a Safariland 6378, for example, I had to remove the ALS mechanism and file down a couple surfaces just a little bit. Not a big deal at all, and that was just to add maybe millimeter or so of clearance. Without that, the slide release would sometimes hang on the inside surface of the ALS lever and lock the gun in the holster. Also, attempting to holster at slide lock would trip the slide release lever.

Other than that, you will likely start seeing 1 or a couple of wear lines on your slide from the release lever. I'd guess something like a Cerakote finished slide would have that finish worn through pretty well in short order. That's why I prefer everything be nitrided and have a more robust top-layer finish (whatever Glock uses/used, DLC, etc). You can bend them ever so slightly to improve this (like a fraction of a millimeter). However, I would guess they're probably like factory slide release levers in that if you do that much, they'll just snap in half.

Name:  20210828_114546_tn.jpg
Views: 1793
Size:  33.4 KB
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

Sig,

How are the sights working out?

Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Steve m View Post
    Sig,

How are the sights working out?
    The sights are nice and the rear is great in terms of fit and functionality. Still working on the ideal front sight height, but I shoot this gun infrequently and it hasn't been a priority lately. Dawson is your friend when it comes to front sight height options. It shoots high in my particular configuration, which was to be expected. I apologize I don't remember specifics, but IIRC I think it was ~2" high at ~20yds. I wish they'd sell the rear separately, as it's quite nice. They now have 4 different height versions available:

• DPP (tallest)
    • 509T (2nd tallest)
    • RMR
    • ACRO (shortest)

(NOT my picture)
    Name:  BUIS_Comp_Chart-copy-2.jpg
Views: 1344
Size:  37.5 KB
    Courtesy Walther

The one I have is the RMR version. I considered getting the ACRO version to see if it just barely reaches past the bottom of the window. Kind of hard to justify continuing to waste $90 a pop though for just a rear sight in my case.

I am a bit miffed that, for the 3 others except the RMR, they show the same EXACT 3 pictures, and no precise measurements of height differences. It's not clear to me whether both front and rear heights are different between them, or if it's the same front and merely different rears. Also there's no appreciable difference in the descriptions. Granted, they're intended for their guns in specific configurations. Still, how hard is it to publish a few simple numbers?

User Tag List