Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T-Series L3D not designed right ?!?!?

T-Series L3D not designed right ?!?!?

I just bought a Blackhawk T-Series L3D for my Sig P320 which has the TLR-1. While familiarizing myself with the holster I quickly realized that my gun and light have a lot of forward and backward motion due to my gun not having the TLR-2.

Has anyone else noticed or had this problem and if so what or how do I correct the issue?

I know on the Omnivore holster there is any insert that can be used for to the TLR-1 but this new holster doesn’t seem to have one and when I tighten the retention screw it seems to make the weapon hard to draw but does nothing for the main issue of this post.

Thanks for the responses

I have not used the Sig version, but with my Glocks I have not experienced that with a wide variety of Glock models and TLR-1 and TLR-2 lights. I would contact Blackhawk and see what they say.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    I have not used the Sig version, but with my Glocks I have not experienced that with a wide variety of Glock models and TLR-1 and TLR-2 lights. I would contact Blackhawk and see what they say.
    How do you like the new Blackhawk holster? Compared to Safariland.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    How do you like the new Blackhawk holster? Compared to Safariland.
    Well... given my experience and holding judgement from this thread (based on Sig P320s), I like them better than Safariland.

The active retention and single thumb actuation to release is intuitive and I like it. I've used a Blackhawk L3D a lot over the past year, and if it were available to more platforms I'd probably be all over it, but right now it is for Glock (and the 34 sticks out enough for me not to want to make it a regular thing, and certianly not a duty thing) and the Sig (and I don't use the Sig) so its applicability is limited. Further, it retains off the light rather than the gun, so you have to use a specific light and it better be mounted correctly.

Because fits are limited for the Blackhawk I've been using US Duty Gear (basically the SLS rotating hood only) more and more. If Blackhawk had more options it might be different.

Safariland has done a lot, so I don't want to ignore what they've accomplished, and their red dot holsters are a big part in how red dots for law enforcement have been able to gain traction. That said, they are - in my opinion - a victim of their success and they aren't listening or responding like they should right now.

Safariland availability and quality control seems to suck lately. Combine that with some arguments at SHOT over the past couple of years with their people where I now feel like they are more concerned with making money (market driven) and trying to make me believe what they preach rather than making the best they can, and I have an admitted bias. The SLS/ALS is a great retention design, but I've seens holsters and purchased one where the ALS is - in my opinion - so difficult to disengage that I consider it unsafe.

I'm not married to anyone in the holster industry and I understand that different options have different advantages and disadvantages. the Blackhawk is a great design. US Duty Gear is super responsive and to me that's a big deal.

To summarize... The Blackhawk is a great option, as is US Duty Gear, and Safariland might be great depending on your needs. They all have different features.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    Well... given my experience and holding judgement from this thread (based on Sig P320s), I like them better than Safariland.

The active retention and single thumb actuation to release is intuitive and I like it. I've used a Blackhawk L3D a lot over the past year, and if it were available to more platforms I'd probably be all over it, but right now it is for Glock (and the 34 sticks out enough for me not to want to make it a regular thing, and certianly not a duty thing) and the Sig (and I don't use the Sig) so its applicability is limited. Further, it retains off the light rather than the gun, so you have to use a specific light and it better be mounted correctly.

Because fits are limited for the Blackhawk I've been using US Duty Gear (basically the SLS rotating hood only) more and more. If Blackhawk had more options it might be different.

Safariland has done a lot, so I don't want to ignore what they've accomplished, and their red dot holsters are a big part in how red dots for law enforcement have been able to gain traction. That said, they are - in my opinion - a victim of their success and they aren't listening or responding like they should right now.

Safariland availability and quality control seems to suck lately. Combine that with some arguments at SHOT over the past couple of years with their people where I now feel like they are more concerned with making money (market driven) and trying to make me believe what they preach rather than making the best they can, and I have an admitted bias. The SLS/ALS is a great retention design, but I've seens holsters and purchased one where the ALS is - in my opinion - so difficult to disengage that I consider it unsafe.

I'm not married to anyone in the holster industry and I understand that different options have different advantages and disadvantages. the Blackhawk is a great design. US Duty Gear is super responsive and to me that's a big deal.

To summarize... The Blackhawk is a great option, as is US Duty Gear, and Safariland might be great depending on your needs. They all have different features.
    Don't quote or kill the messenger.

Supposedly, Glock compatible X300 T series holsters are coming soon, ie within the next few months.

Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    Don't quote or kill the messenger.

Supposedly, Glock compatible X300 T series holsters are coming soon, ie within the next few months.
    It has been a few months off for the last six months.

I learned during dry fire, that the TLR holster for the Glock doesn’t work with the X300, as sometimes the pistol becomes stuck in the holster.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    It has been a few months off for the last six months.
    So true...

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdawg84 View Post
    I just bought a Blackhawk T-Series L3D for my Sig P320 which has the TLR-1. While familiarizing myself with the holster I quickly realized that my gun and light have a lot of forward and backward motion due to my gun not having the TLR-2.

Has anyone else noticed or had this problem and if so what or how do I correct the issue?

I know on the Omnivore holster there is any insert that can be used for to the TLR-1 but this new holster doesn’t seem to have one and when I tighten the retention screw it seems to make the weapon hard to draw but does nothing for the main issue of this post.

Thanks for the responses
    I have some back and forth movement in my Glock in L3D with TLR-1 attached. Rocking down I can get the rear sight about halfway below flush with the retention hood. Rocking up the movement is much less. Definitely more downward play.

I imagine some slop is just the nature of the beast given that the actual retention is down on the light instead of higher up off the ejection port etc.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I have some back and forth movement in my Glock in L3D with TLR-1 attached. Rocking down I can get the rear sight about halfway below flush with the retention hood. Rocking up the movement is much less. Definitely more downward play.

I imagine some slop is just the nature of the beast given that the actual retention is down on the light instead of higher up off the ejection port etc.

Where is the retention on non light holsters?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Where is the retention on non light holsters?
    Off the front of the trigger guard.

User Tag List