Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The most 70s thing you'll see today

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/...357901458.html for those of you who can't wait to take this bad boy home for $3k. Aviator shades not included.
    For this listing, it's entirely fitting that the Craigslist icon is the peace sign.

"Owner had invested $12000. in restoration, but passed away 3 years ago." I think that this description will fit a lot of stuff that bobs to the surface in the next 15-20 years.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

By the way, I don't want to let facts get in the way of a good narrative...but it's clear the Camaro owner doesn't understand his automotive history when he says, "Ford's wrong answer to the El Camino."

Because, in fact, the Ranchero came first in 1957 and the El Camino came second in 1959.

Therefore it has to be the other way around; the El Camino was the wrong answer to the Ranchero. Heck, Chevy even gave it a Spanish name just to take a shot at the Ranchero.

Signed,

Your Local Ford guy; with a dog named Edsel Ford

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Not sure I wanna hang out with the person that thought that restoration project was a productive use of their time...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    In 1995 the University assigned me a roommate from West Virginia. He and his father had spent the previous 5 years fully restoring a 1978 Monte Carlo. It was Tennessee Orange with a white vinyl top and white interior. It wasn't built into a drag car or anything, it was pretty much back to show room condition including all the wonderful emission equipment. He had a multiple volume picture book documenting the process. It wasn't a family car or any sort of sentimental history it was what he picked out. Keep in mind at this time you could still pick up late 60's muscle cars for reasonable money but he picked a 1978 Monte Carlo. No doubt, it was a great father/son project but............it was Tennessee Orange with a white vinyl top and white interior.

He was not fun to hang out with.

And if you have Amazon Prime check out the newest Grand Tour which features some classic 70's coupes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Ah, breaker one-nine, this here's the Rubber Duck
    You gotta copy on me, Pig Pen, c'mon?

I can just hear it playing on the Kenwood speakers!
    I remember sometime in the late 60's my brother had a CB in his bedroom hooked to a big ass out side antenna. He would get on that thing and talk to people thousands of miles away late in the evening when atmospheric conditions were kind to radio frequencies.

Then one day the black unmarked FCC vehicle showed up in front of the house. Shortly thereafter he went mobile.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    Maybe because I was a pre-teen when this came out but I think it is awesome! Of course I don't want to drive it.

I do have to admit that I have 1971 Baja Bug now that I bought because I really wanted one in high school in the 1980s.
    Holy Crap!

I HAD a 1973 (if I recall the year right) Baja Bug in the 80s in high School! It was an off road, mountain climbing, machine! I used to run it across sections of river too. Ends up VWs will float for short periods of time!

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    By the way, I don't want to let facts get in the way of a good narrative...but it's clear the Camaro owner doesn't understand his automotive history when he says, "Ford's wrong answer to the El Camino."

Because, in fact, the Ranchero came first in 1957 and the El Camino came second in 1959.

Therefore it has to be the other way around; the El Camino was the wrong answer to the Ranchero. Heck, Chevy even gave it a Spanish name just to take a shot at the Ranchero.

Signed,

Your Local Ford guy; with a dog named Edsel Ford
    Nope, you win there. I didn't realize the pre-Falcon platform version existed. It would appear to be the best looking version of the abomination, and they decline as the years go on.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

The tough part is that it's a '79.

The 6th Generation cars ('72-'76) were far more attractive than the 7th Generation ('77-'79), whose looks and larger size I frankly despise.

I have buddy who has offered me a free 460 if I ever wanted it, and there's a non-zero possibility that instead of yet another project gun, I'll want to get a 6th Gen project car to turn into some sort of "Apocalypse Car" along the lines of a Road Warrior Interceptor.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Site Supporter
    I’m just a few minutes with a trimmer away from having the mustache to go with that car. Thankfully I don’t feel like driving up to Indianapolis this weekend, and my attention-whoring days are mostly over. Get thee behind me BBI’s.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Nope, you win there. I didn't realize the pre-Falcon platform version existed. It would appear to be the best looking version of the abomination, and they decline as the years go on.
    Fighting Words.

I honestly think the '59 El Camino is the best looking of the Chevy bunch, but I think the '67/68/69 Rancheros (based on the Fairline in '67 and Torino in '68/'69) are the best looking of the Rancheros. The late '60s El Caminos look too much like a Chevelle with the ass end cut off. Not that I'd turn down a free one, mind you.

That said the Falcon-ero is my bread and butter. I've had three different Falcon-based FoMoCos over the years and that's a platform I know extremely well inside and out. A Falcon-ero is definitely on the short list if I find a nice one at a good price.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Screw both of you for making me go refresh on Australian Falcon knowledge. Falcon utes come with fuel injection and maybe even turbos down there.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List