Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: The most 70s thing you'll see today

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    That depends more on the girl than the music, IIRC.
    Who the hell ever needed the music? Mostly it was just do you believe in free love?

The answer to that was pretty easy. I had that one popped on me a few times in the early 70's.
    Last edited by Borderland; 07-31-2021 at 09:33 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

My grandfather had a '79 Ranchero. Ordered it new, with a 2-tone metallic maroon/bronze over tan paint scheme. First vehicle I got to drive in on private property. Understand that in and around this time frame, pickups were staight work/utility vehicles. A nice, top-of-the-line model might have an A/C unit. This thing was like driving a Caddy with a bed on it.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

My first car was a '74 Ranchero. That thing hauled ass and plywood. The 77-79's were just ugly though.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

I had a chance to purchase a 1972 El Camino SS with a 454 when I was in my youth.
    Turned it down in lieu of a'69 mach 1 with the 428 super cobra jet.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    My son has his learner's permit now, so I'm looking for something for him. I've been perusing Craigslist with the only parameter being under a certain price and "by owner" and that beauty popped up.
    Very exciting time! Let me be an advocate for your son and say please no Ranchero for the first car if there any other choices at all. The jokes and ribbing he would take about driving a mobile bed like that would be endless.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    I had a chance to purchase a 1972 El Camino SS with a 454 when I was in my youth.
    Turned it down in lieu of a'69 mach 1 with the 428 super cobra jet.
    You did the right thing!

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I recall that at the time he was President, Bill Clinton had owned just two cars in his life. One was a light blue '65-ish Mustang convertible. The other was an El Camino with Astroturf in the back.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    Very exciting time! Let me be an advocate for your son and say please no Ranchero for the first car if there any other choices at all. The jokes and ribbing he would take about driving a mobile bed like that would be endless.
    After a very short stint with a '79 Plymouth Arrow that was T-boned, my second car was a '72 El Camino as I have mentioned here recently. I'm loathe to put pictures of it here in this Ugly Ranchero thread though.

And I LOVED that car. My girlfriend's brother had a '70-something Dart and we were the only ones at my school with class.

I’ve always loved Rancheros and El Caminos. My first car bought with my own money was a clapped out ‘69 or ‘70 with hidden headlights.

There was a guy near my first house that had a last body style El Camino that he converted to 4WD. It was very tastefully done, and I wanted it with a visceral passion.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Right before I was born, my father owned a 1976 Ranchero while he was in the USMC. He was an MP, I [i]think[/] at Camp Pendleton but I don't really know. Important thing was he was an MP in the Marine Corps and owned a Ranchero. He had lent the Ranchero to a buddy and while he was on duty he got called to a car accident on base. Well you know where this is going. While my dad's buddy was stopped at a red light a drunk driver rear-ended the Ranchero. He showed up at the scene, realized it was his car that had been hit and yelled "THAT'S MY CAR!!!". And that's when the DD realized how badly he'd fucked up.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

User Tag List