Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: US Duty Gear?

To an extent, I agree the 6 series seem more substantial that the 7. The early 7 series, particularly with light, had issues breaking due to the way they were folded. They reversed the direction of the fold (seam over light instead of sights) and the newer ones feel less likely to compress/collapse. In favor of the 7 series, they tend to fit tighter around the trigger guard, lessening the likelihood of foreign objects intruding on a fully holstered trigger.

While the US Holster product might be better made than the Safariland, I find the ALS system to be my favorite active retention system. While I use SLS on top of ALS, I would not choose SLS only. To the extent I’ve turned in a 6280 in favor of a 070. I’ve had too many occasions where the SLS hood is accidentally disabled and the sentry device makes the draw really miserable.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    To an extent, I agree the 6 series seem more substantial that the 7. The early 7 series, particularly with light, had issues breaking due to the way they were folded. They reversed the direction of the fold (seam over light instead of sights) and the newer ones feel less likely to compress/collapse. In favor of the 7 series, they tend to fit tighter around the trigger guard, lessening the likelihood of foreign objects intruding on a fully holstered trigger.

While the US Holster product might be better made than the Safariland, I find the ALS system to be my favorite active retention system. While I use SLS on top of ALS, I would not choose SLS only. To the extent I’ve turned in a 6280 in favor of a 070. I’ve had too many occasions where the SLS hood is accidentally disabled and the sentry device makes the draw really miserable.
    US Duty Gear is releasing an SLS/ALS type holster "within a month" per their rep this past week.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

I can't argue with the idea that SLS/ALS is better retention compared to SLS only. I think there's a balance, and when it comes to Safariland, recent SLS/ALS holsters have left me feeling they suck. It was so stupid hard to release the ALS on several recent holsters I've tried from several agencies that I consider it an officer safety issue. I dremelled out a $140 holster knowing I'd only be able to use it for range work but didn't mind because I'd never use it for duty. I'd warranty it but I've seen so many other holsters made that way I just don't expect they'd care and even if they fixed mine there are too many others out there to feel ok recommending them.

Let's add to that the Safariland cant sucks and they don't accept WML pressure switches for the most part... And they'll argue with you about them at the SHOT show so there's that. (Yes... I'm bitter...)

Enter US Duty Gear...

There's not much special to say, which is in my opinion a good thing. They are basically "6280-ish" holsters. There's good and bad to that, but the company is making a good holster for a lot for platforms and is much more responsive than "other" companies. They make a holster that accepts various pistols, weapon-lights, and pressure switches.

Their holsters do work with Safariland attachments such as the QLS and UBLs, but while that's ok for range stuff, I'd only recommend using thier own attachments for duty. They say the same. Don't set yourself up for a lawsuit.

From what I've seen so far US Duty Gear is responsive and should be coming out with additional accessories, attachments, and potentially retention levels soon. We'll see and I hope this competition pushes better products for all of us.

I emailed US Duty gear over a week ago. No response to numerous questions posed within my email. Kinda bummed about that one.

We are transitioning to RDS pistols next year and will be issued 7TS holsters with a G17 and an X300. The UBL absolutely destroys my hip and I cannot wear it. I had questions about their "UBL" and whether or not it was actually a Safariland product or their own design. To this day, I cannot figure out why the UBL is designed to dig into the officers hip the way that it does. I know that i'm not alone in this.

For what its worth, I have a singular 7TS RDS holster that I find to be an absolute chore to work out of. Reholstering is difficult. Drawing the pistol is less smooth than other competing products and it's loud as can be both in and out of the holster. It sounds like an 18 wheeler filled with snare drums is crashing when I use the thing. The last complaint is somewhat stupid but my Blackhawk T series holsters are absolutely silent on the draw and reholster so I know it can be done.

"Drawproof holsters" were designed in response to the statistics for officers being killed with their own firearms, but what that statistic doesn't address is whether the firearm was taken out of the officer's holster by the perp or out of the officer's hands after it has been drawn. No amount of retention on the holster is going to cure the latter.

That being said, the ALS system does at least allow for the pistol to be locked into place just by holstering, and that has some advantages.

Our personnel attend a regional police academy that requires at least a level-II holster. We've been buying the 7360 for all personnel, but some switch to straight up ALS.

Safariland needs competition. I'm really hoping these guys, or somebody, gives it to them.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Got a US-80 ordered for a Staccato with light and optic attached.

Carlos in sales says it should be built and shipped by the end of the week.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I just got a response. He now says that the level-3 won't be available until 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    I just got a response. He now says that the level-3 won't be available until 2022.
    Carlos told me L3 Glock should be available next month L3 FN 509, M&P and Walther probably in October. And the 320 probably early 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Carlos told me L3 Glock should be available next month L3 FN 509, M&P and Walther probably in October. And the 320 probably early 2022.

I misread the email. When I originally contacted him, I asked about a holster for a CZ. When I sent the follow up, I simply asked about the level-3. His response was that the level-3 for a CZ wouldn't be available until 2022. That's different than the level-3 altogether.

Site Supporter
    Is the current holster pretty much the same as a Safariland SLS 6280?

Wonder how the level 3 will work.

User Tag List