Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Bakersfield PD qual

Shot this today, twice, with my buddy. He outshot me 93/86 when I ran my SRO equipped S2 (STILL not finding that dot under stress), but when I switched to my Staccato C with irons, I beat him 93/80-something. Great test. First engagement is no BS, neither of us got both shots off under time. It's funny when you find shooting 20 yards is the EASY part of the test...

Site Supporter
    Got to shoot this for the first time today. Very happy with 92 cold!

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    Got to shoot this for the first time today. Very happy with 92 cold!
    We’ll, your taste in pistols is impeccable.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Nerd View Post
    We’ll, your taste in pistols is impeccable.

Heavily influenced by Pistol Forum! I tried just about everything. Carried 320 til the 2017 debacle, then Glock, then M&P before I really knew anything. Then a Beretta 92, loved DA/SA, but too big and heavy after a few years. Then Glock for a year with an SCD. Happy with with safety and loved the weight and trim profile, got tired of the grip angle and the inconsistency in trigger from gun to gun. M&P to get a neutral grip angle and better trigger, but thumb safety didn't work for me and wasn't happy with the safety of a single action striker with no SCD or safety, personally.

But the PX4 is Glock weight and slim controls, with neutral grip angle and a silky Beretta 92 trigger. Super happy with them.

A little remedial work indicated...

Recording a run that I did a little differently:
    Cold from concealment with a GEN5 19 with iron Heinie sights-gold bead front. Scored 86, which would have qualified back in Bakersfield, but I'm slightly disappointed. I like to shoot for 90%+, and I'll put some work in.
    The dot is an advantage for me at 60 feet, but I was hammering the trigger a bit and perhaps could tighten up grip.

@jlw shot the Bakersfield on the original target from legit, closed front, strong side hip carry. He ended up with a 95 and I had a 94. Those times are spicy from concealment. I lost one point on every stage except the last one. I was way too fast and threw one into the 6 ring with over 0.60 to spare.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    @jlw shot the Bakersfield on the original target from legit, closed front, strong side hip carry. He ended up with a 95 and I had a 94. Those times are spicy from concealment. I lost one point on every stage except the last one. I was way too fast and threw one into the 6 ring with over 0.60 to spare.
    I think it was 94 and 93.

My target was clean.

After having done so much the last few years with a PMO and duty/carry sized pistol, I shot it today with an iron sighted G48 cold and scored a 91 with two dropped target points. I was way over on the reload stage. I shot it a second time and beat the par on that stage by 1.42 seconds, but cold performance is what counts.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    I will bet $20 PF that if you do the SWYNTS drill for a few weeks you’ll make time on all stages and shoot closer to 100.

The drill is literally designed to build the index and recoil skills you’ll need to make time confidently.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....o-see-training

If it ain’t one thing, it’s another…

So, another cold run for me at the end of a day that was busy. I wanted to compare an optic run with the irons from yesterday. Gen519MOS, ACRO P-2 and TLR8G out of a JMCK IWB, under an open front shirt. Ammo was 147 gr.fmj training ammo.
    Result: 94 points, no overtime. The points were lost at 3 yards(!) where in my haste I just hammered the trigger and damn near threw one off target. The next 8 were centered.
    I like @jlw comment on cold performances being definitive. Might just make that a tag line: “Only cold counts.”
    I’d like to get up one morning and shoot a “hunnert”; guess that means some dry practice evening before and a good focus in the AM.
    I do think many LE today would be startled by the alacrity necessary, not to mention the precision required.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    I like @jlw comment on cold performances being definitive. Might just make that a tag line: “Only cold counts.”
    While this is true, you don’t want to be able to just Hundo once.
    You want to be able to Hundo every… single… time.

So the expansion of that is:

If you can’t do it dry, you can’t do it live.
    If you can’t do it open holster in < 1 second, you can’t do it concealed in 1.2 seconds.

Aaaaand we’re back to the ABILITY to do a reproducible close target sub-second draw that you can modify based off vision (SWYNTS) at farther distances for better hits that take more time.

But 10 feet? If you’re not able to sub second open draw, you have virtually no chance of making this string without hosing and hoping. That’s not the goal or the point.

Do the work, gain the skill and you’ll pass the test. Cold.

But if you can’t do it dry….

Last edited by JCN; 05-10-2023 at 08:41 PM.

User Tag List