Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Bakersfield PD qual

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Do you qualify with semi auto standard or revolver standards? I’m assuming semiauto standards from what you suggested before.

Do the official qualification documentation materials say that about gear? Asking because I don’t know.

Would love to hear the actual wording and would love your opinion on how much gaming goes on for quals versus what people actually wear plainclothes and concealed.
    Until 1/1/21, the GA qual was revolver neutral. The course that went into effect on 1/1/21 has "Semi Auto" in the title. It's not revolver neutral, but it can be shot with a revolver provided the shooter is smart enough to count. The old course can be shot as an alternate.

As the "as you go on duty" is the accepted standard, I don't see much gaming as far as gear is concerned.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

GA POST

Name:  03A36B22-135A-476C-9F3B-973406D58E94.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  21.1 KB

Here’s part of the course description.

“Range attire and police duty gear.”

I’m assuming that police duty gear means either Level 3 holster or concealed if plainclothes?

Time wise either adds about 0.2 so it’s a wash.

But the time standards are DOUBLE of the Bakersfield.
    Draw and 2 rounds in 3 seconds as opposed to 1.5 seconds.

Name:  03A36B22-135A-476C-9F3B-973406D58E94.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  21.1 KB

Here’s part of the course description.
    I'm well aware of the course. I've run it numerous times prepping jail staff for the academy. I was also previously on the board of directors for the statewide firearms instructor association.

The course and its predecessor are a woefully lacking. You can miss the target completely six times and still "qualify".

The state academy mandates at least a level-II for cadets. After that, the standard practice is to qualify as you go on duty.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Until 1/1/21, the GA qual was revolver neutral. The course that went into effect on 1/1/21 has "Semi Auto" in the title. It's not revolver neutral, but it can be shot with a revolver provided the shooter is smart enough to count. The old course can be shot as an alternate.

As the "as you go on duty" is the accepted standard, I don't see much gaming as far as gear is concerned.
    I appreciate your even temperament and the education.

For the Bakersfield course of fire it should be shot with the target sizes and points scoring as described and shot from 1980s duty gear with iron sight 1911s for it to be accurate.

For people not on Bakersfield PD, it should be shot as you see fit.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    I'm well aware of the course. I've run it numerous times prepping jail staff for the academy. I was also previously on the board of directors for the statewide firearms instructor association.

The standard practice is that you qualify as you would go on duty.
    Thanks! I replied before I saw your reply.

I appreciate your even temperament and the education.

For the Bakersfield course of fire it should be shot with the target sizes and points scoring as described and shot from 1980s duty gear with iron sight 1911s for it to be accurate.

Thanks! I replied before I saw your reply.
    You replied as I was editing my post. I'll elaborate a little.

The state run academies mandate at least level-2 duty gear. Each agency determines it's own gear, and some leave it up to individual personnel; others require everyone to use the same thing.

My initial agency required everyone to use a Safariland 070, but they have since replaced that with with an SLS/ALS. My current agency purchases SLS/ALS holsters, but personnel can choose something else at their own cost and with approval.

Reading the article closely, you should also be able to shoot it with a first generation Smith auto, probably with an out-of-the-box trigger and plain black sights - which makes it an even more impressive standard. All of you shooting with red nail polish on your sights are cheating.

On the other hand, it was likely timed with a stopwatch, which introduces a whole different slop factor.

Reading the article closely, you should also be able to shoot it with a first generation Smith auto, probably with an out-of-the-box trigger and plain black sights - which makes it an even more impressive standard. All of you shooting with red nail polish on your sights are cheating.

On the other hand, it was likely timed with a stopwatch, which introduces a whole different slop factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Nerd View Post

“Pretty quickly the switch was made to 9mm Smith and Wesson Model 59 autopistols, and later, in the 1980s, to the 1911A1 Colt 45’s that Mike initially recommended (in Milt Sparks leather no less). Then, approximately ten years after that, the department switched again, to Glocks, first in .40 S&W, now 9mm. But the hardware is not generally the most important factor in a gunfight. It’s usually “the nut behind the bolt,” and that is where Mike made his bones.”

It sounded like when Mike established the COF they switched to 1911s in leather holsters?

I don’t own any duty holsters for 1911s but I do have some for 40 cal Glocks….

Can anyone tell me what retention systems were used for 1911s in the 80s and Glocks in the early 90s before SLS?
    Last edited by JCN; 08-03-2021 at 05:16 AM.

User Tag List