Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Bakersfield PD qual

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    So distances in meters should be 3, 6, 9 and 18 meters. (Not converting these to the last decimal place since measurements at the range tend to not be accurate to the centimeter anyway, rough conversions that ought to be "good enough".)

Great! This helps a lot - B-8's are a US thing but IDPA targets can be found in lots of places.

With my slow ass draw this is going to be a challenge. But since it isn't a hard pass/fail I'm willing to give it a go. Might be a while before I can find the range time though, the local range is damn busy these days.
    The IDPA dimensions are more generous, but it is a readily available target.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    IDPA
    -0= 10
    -1= 8
    -3= 6
    So distances in meters should be 3, 6, 9 and 18 meters. (Not converting these to the last decimal place since measurements at the range tend to not be accurate to the centimeter anyway, rough conversions that ought to be "good enough".)

Great! This helps a lot - B-8's are a US thing but IDPA targets can be found in lots of places.

With my slow ass draw this is going to be a challenge. But since it isn't a hard pass/fail I'm willing to give it a go. Might be a while before I can find the range time though, the local range is damn busy these days.
    IDPA sizes are significantly larger than the stated scoring zones.

Name:  83CAF247-0496-4C77-981B-CA8E7EDD31CE.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  31.9 KB

It’s not hard to take a sheet of legal paper and cut it down.
    Same thing with drawing a 7” circle with a string, tape and pen.

But if you’re going to use the IDPA scoring for targets, you should probably move the target farther away to scale it.

I wouldn’t want to run and score it without the described scoring zones, but that’s just me.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    IDPA sizes are significantly larger than the stated scoring zones.

Name:  83CAF247-0496-4C77-981B-CA8E7EDD31CE.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  31.9 KB

But if you’re going to use the IDPA scoring for targets, you should probably move the target farther away to scale it.

I wouldn’t want to run and score it without the described scoring zones, but that’s just me.
    Yes, which is why I stated 8-points for -1 zone instead of 9.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Yes, which is why I stated 8-points for -1 zone instead of 9.
    Yes, but now you’re just making a completely different test.

There’s a difference between a close miss making 9 points and a close miss making 8 points.

10 points for an 8” circle is different than 7” too.

Move the target back or cut a sheet of paper.

Or call it something different.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Well actually, since "legal paper" is a US paper size, it would be kind of hard...

I suppose I could mess about with some appropriate size printer paper, a ruler, scissors, etc. but in my experience that becomes significantly more bothersome than just grabbing a standard size target that is easily available and just getting on with shooting the bloody drill.

Maybe it's because I'm such a lazy bastard but while I used to shoot a bunch of P-F drills that used different kinds of paper targets I've pretty much stopped with those. I don't even own a printer so mucking about with printing targets at work after clocking out, dealing with scaling errors since all the targets were meant to be printed on US paper sizes, ensuring I pack the correct paper targets to go with the planned drills, last minute changes with training plans due to range availability and conditions, trying to score targets on printer paper, trying to protect the papers from rain long enough for them to be useful, and so on and so on. It just gets annoying. Much easier to just grab some IDPA targets from the pile and off to the range we go.

YMMV, obviously.
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Well actually, since "legal paper" is a US paper size, it would be kind of hard...

I suppose I could mess about with some appropriate size printer paper, a ruler, scissors, etc. but in my experience that becomes significantly more bothersome than just grabbing a standard size target that is easily available and just getting on with shooting the bloody drill.

Maybe it's because I'm such a lazy bastard but while I used to shoot a bunch of P-F drills that used different kinds of paper targets I've pretty much stopped with those. I don't even own a printer so mucking about with printing targets at work after clocking out, dealing with scaling errors since all the targets were meant to be printed on US paper sizes, ensuring I pack the correct paper targets to go with the planned drills, last minute changes with training plans due to range availability and conditions, trying to score targets on printer paper, trying to protect the papers from rain long enough for them to be useful, and so on and so on. It just gets annoying. Much easier to just grab some IDPA targets from the pile and off to the range we go.

YMMV, obviously.
    Well, IMO. Lazy people who love excuses and “the easy way” generally don’t get very good at things like shooting so do what you like.

Or move the target back by 10-15% of the distance.

For cripes sake

If you own IDPA targets, a ruler and a marker you can draw the 9x13 box ON the cardboard target within 20 seconds and then if any hits are within 1” of the border of the -0 you can manually score and call if out of 7”.

Being sloppy with the scoring for a defined test is like being sloppy with the timing.

Would you have a friend time you with a stop watch and say “hey that’s good enough.”

If you want a different test make a different test.
    Last edited by JCN; 08-01-2021 at 10:22 AM.

Pass with a 380 snub

Made all time parameters including the reload string in 5.55 seconds.

Two shots in the -1 and three shots in the -4.

Name:  08349A2D-3A02-4682-A980-4638E3A9E481.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  62.9 KB

Start position was pocket draw with hand in pocket on gun like I would normally have it in a sketchy situation.

Ammo was this zinc stuff with apparently primers made out of granite….

He wants that rig more than I do.
    Reduced from $850 - he wants it more than anyone does.

Note that it's a 30" belt. Talk about slight demand.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Nerd View Post
    Reduced from $850 - he wants it more than anyone does.

Note that it's a 30" belt. Talk about slight demand.
    It must have been an explorer's belt.

User Tag List