Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Visiting Austin TX

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Will 3rd or 4th Terry Black's. It's not cheap, though. I think they raised their prices during covid. FWIW if it's a weekday and you swing by between 4pm and 4:15pm it's pretty dead recently and there's no line (with actual parking spaces available). I'll occasionally hit it after work and it's nice to get something that good without standing around forever.

2nd or 3rd The Range as well. If they're from England then it does touristy gun stuff pretty well. It's a boutique kinda joint as opposed to the dive bar feel a lot of indoor ranges have. They will probably find it more "accessible" if they're not gun people.

Phoebe's on 1st and Oltof does the traditional American bacon-and-eggs thing well. It's like 5oz of slab bacon. Kinda seems like they might want to try that if they're from England. Plus it circumvents the breakfast taco fight that's inevitable since there's so many people from San Antonio posting here.
    Name:  53064ED0-EC31-4905-812D-5F8F10C75555.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  42.4 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    My favorite BBQ in Austin is Iron Works.

Not BBQ strictly speaking but I also enjoyed Banger's Sausage House & Beer Garden.

My other favorite place in Austin was Easy Tiger, but they moved so can't vouch for that new location (link is to new location).

Wife and I did a wine tour that left from City Hall and then out into the country and we really enjoyed that.

Also, tour the capital. it's neat.
    IronWorks is good. As is Stubbs BBQ.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. Sorry for the hit and run.

My favorite BBQ in Austin is Lockhart, TX. 😁 After all, it is the BBQ Capital of Texas. It’s a short ride from down town Austin, and they’ll get out to see real Texans, in actual Texas, and taste historic, genuine Texas BBQ. Black’s, Kreuz, or Smitty’s. For great Tex Mex in Austin, my recommend is El Mercado, smoked carnitas, off of S. 1st St. For “gun tourism” I’d recommend they check out The Range at Austin. Excellent variety of rental firearms, plenty of good staff, pretty new facility that was built from the ground up to be an indoor range.
    Last edited by medmo; 07-31-2021 at 06:29 PM.

Agreed, Black's, Smitty's, and Kreuz are some of the better BBQ candidates in the area. Black's and Smitty's are kind of small, hole-in-the-wall places. Kreuz is larger and more of an experience. Another +1 for Stubb's in Austin. Franklin's is okay but, IMO far too hyped, nothing amazing, and not at all worth the trouble involved.

San Antonio has a far larger selection of good BBQ places IMO. The names escape me at the moment, but there are at least a few between Austin and San Antonio that are the outdoor massive pit BBQ style places. A proper experience. In SA, I think Alamo BBQ might be one. I think also Two Bros and Smoke BBQ+Skybar.

For Mexican food, some of the better places in the area are in San Antonio, though names are escaping me at the moment. In Austin, Texican is good. Also, Matt's El Rancho, Fonda San Miguel, Z'Tejas, Pappasito's Cantina. Of the bunch, I'd say Matt's El Rancho and Fonda San Miguel provide a much better and more authentic experience.

Chuy's and Torchys are local favorites, mostly by people from out of state, and IMO highly overrated enough that I'd recommend against them. I felt the need to mention them because they frequently pop-up if looking for local Mexican food options.

The Range at Austin is probably the nicest range in central Texas. By far the nicest in Austin. Shady Oaks in Cedar Park is nice, but smaller, fewer rentals, and not nearly on the same level as The Range. I'd recommend avoiding Red's (indoor) and Eagle Peak (outdoor). Red's is archaic, and the south location is oppressively loud. Eagle Peak is unreasonable and highly unprofessional enough that I refuse to ever go there again.

There's this weird phenomenon in Austin, seemingly from out of state transplants best I can tell. You'll frequently see people talk about how "amazing" various restaurants, food trucks, etc. are. I've found fairly often that a lot of those places end up being highly overrated. A lot of those people end up being the types that rarely venture outside of Austin as well (beyond typical tourist spots). Hell, some of them I've talked to sound downright terrified to venture too far outside of Austin for fear of this vision of rural Texas they've concocted in their minds. A lot of Austin lifestyle is unfortunately pathological.
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

Kreutz, I believe, had a downtown location when I was there. Did the whole metal tray, point at what you want, buy by weight, etc.

Our wine tour took us to a winery right across the street from OG location for one of the Salt Lick. You couldn’t get me in there for a million dollars. Massive parking lot, crowds, tents…. Nope.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    If you go to a Mexican restaurant, please go beyond the enchilada, beans and rice plate, special. My favorites were a poblano pepper stuffed with cheese and seafood, a good mole, street tacos, chile rellenos, lengua, some cabrito, a good quesadilla etc. See how they like the local and Mexican beers. Always a Shiner and Modelo fan.

Dang, can’t believe I forgot about Güero’s Taco Bar on Congress in Austin. Excellent place to sit outside under a canopy of old oaks, enjoy some live music, beverages and tacos.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    If you go to a Mexican restaurant, please go beyond the enchilada, beans and rice plate, special. My favorites were a poblano pepper stuffed with cheese and seafood, a good mole, street tacos, chile rellenos, lengua, some cabrito, a good quesadilla etc. See how they like the local and Mexican beers. Always a Shiner and Modelo fan.
    I looked casually for lengua, but didn’t find any. I think I need to go to a very different part of town.

And the fact that nobody has horchata is a crime.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    The supermarkets in San Antonio, carried it. Can't say that I've seen it here. LOL. One thing, I found in SA was that the Middle Eastern restaurants used to serve a mint, yogurt drink that wasn't sweet. The brand is here but the mint version not in the stores, so far.

User Tag List