Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Visiting Austin TX

Site Supporter

Visiting Austin TX

I have an acquaintance of mine visiting Austin TX sometime next year. They are planning their trip so I tought I would ask for recommendations of what to do. Her and her husband are specifically looking for BBQ. And A rodeo.
    They are from England. So. It’s totally new to them.

Site Supporter
    This place has excellent brisket. It was recommended by a native of Austin when I moved to TX, and it delivered.

https://www.labarbecue.com/

San Antonio isn’t far, and the riverwalk there is very pleasant. As for rodeos, I only went to a small one in far West Texas (and ran into people vacationing from France!) so no help there.

What month? I’m grilling my Austin contact.

Salt Lick in Driftwood (older pit at this location is mo betta), Valentina’s in South Austin, Franklin’s in Central Austin, Stiles Switch in North Central Austin, anything in Lockhart for BBQ.

Rodeos are seasonal.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    What month? I’m grilling my Austin contact.

Salt Lick in Driftwood (older pit at this location is mo betta), Valentina’s in South Austin, Franklin’s in Central Austin, Stiles Switch in North Central Austin, anything in Lockhart for BBQ.

Rodeos are seasonal.
    Yea I knew rodeos are seasonal. I’ll find out. But I think it was March-April

My friend who lives in Austin says Franklin's BBQ is legit good, but not worth spending an entire day waiting outside especially if you are only in town for a limited amount of time. FWIW, I went with him to Terry Black's BBQ which was great. Salt Lick is decent and famous on TV, but is far away. See if your friend's are comfortable driving that far, especially with the driving on the other side of the road deal.

Valentina's BBQ is some awesome TexMex/BBQ fusion. Taco More is a dive with great Mexican food. The mexican/TexMex food in general was off the hook.

Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    Yea I knew rodeos are seasonal. I’ll find out. But I think it was March-April
    Austin Rodeo is around spring break time in March.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Austin Rodeo is around spring break time in March.
    Thanks

Site Supporter
    Austin Rodeo is March 12th-26th next year https://rodeoaustin.com/

Franklin's was good but not worth a long wait to me.
    Terry Blacks was good, so is style switch.
    Heard good things about la barbeque but haven't been myself. The family loves it when I make brisket using John Lewis's recipe.
    The Salt Lick in driftwood has been hit or miss for us before.
    Lockhart might be worth the trip for bbq.

Not bbq but Chuy' s and Kerby Lane Cafe are Austin institutions, but not necessarily great food.
    Torchy's makes damn good tacos.

There's plenty in central Texas besides bbq and rodeos...
    Maybe the Capital or the Bullock state history museum https://www.thestoryoftexas.com would be of interest.

The Bats under the Congress street bridge probably won't be back from Mexico in the spring.
    The wildflowers will most likely be. They could try the Ladybird Johnson wildflower center, take a ride through the hill country, or even just up 360.
    They can go to the range at Austin and rent a machine gun.
    Last edited by JclInAtx; 07-29-2021 at 08:42 PM.

Site Supporter
    They can go to the range at Austin and rent a machine gun.[/QUOTE]

Ohhh. They would like that I think.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    This place has excellent brisket. It was recommended by a native of Austin when I moved to TX, and it delivered.

https://www.labarbecue.com/

San Antonio isn’t far, and the riverwalk there is very pleasant. As for rodeos, I only went to a small one in far West Texas (and ran into people vacationing from France!) so no help there.
    labarbecue is owned by a member of the Mueller family so I'm not surprised it's good.

If the OP's people are willing to make the trip to Taylor TX (NE of Austin) the original Louie Mueller is as good as it gets.

https://www.louiemuellerbarbecue.com/

User Tag List