Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The new crop of portable power banks that can be recharged with solar

The new crop of portable power banks that can be recharged with solar

It seems like COVID19 has spurred a lot of interest and development in this area. I was eyeing this one, has anyone here purchased something like this? I was impressed when I read one review that mentioned it ran a microwave.

Name:  81ZhQHPns7S._AC_SX679_.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  42.4 KB
    #RESIST

In for information. Looks like that’s only $30 more than just the solar panel set without a power bank I’ve been looking at.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I hear a LOT about goal zero from the various woodworking/maker youtubes I watch. Pretty sure that's because most of them are sponsored.

Ignoring the bias for that particular brand, it's certainly something I'm very interested in as well based on what I see them doing and talking about.

I will say that based on our campervan experience with solar, that aspect isn't all it's cracked up to be just yet.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Interested in this

I have two older Goal Zero units that use regular acid batteries (heavy) and the large storage unit does a good job holding a charge but the small one seems to dissipate on its own every few months. The large unit came as a package with a set of folding solar panels but it's easier and faster to just plug it into the ac charger.
    If they weren't so expensive, the "solar blankets" seem like a good choice for portable set ups.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    I have two older Goal Zero units that use regular acid batteries (heavy) and the large storage unit does a good job holding a charge but the small one seems to dissipate on its own every few months. The large unit came as a package with a set of folding solar panels but it's easier and faster to just plug it into the ac charger.
    If they weren't so expensive, the "solar blankets" seem like a good choice for portable set ups.
    I believe that Goal Zero is now doing something where they have a "charger" (Power Stations?) with the smaller/lighter/newer battery tech but then have "storage tanks" (Expansion Kits?) that are meant to remain stationary that use the older/heavier/cheaper lead acid. Kind of a neat solution IMO.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Tagging in for info….

Just bought a Honda EU2200i for hurricanes and such, and found it won’t run my portable AC. So may be looking for something a little bigger. BUT, I am curious about this solar battery set up, even though I know it is not AC rated.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I believe that Goal Zero is now doing something where they have a "charger" (Power Stations?) with the smaller/lighter/newer battery tech but then have "storage tanks" (Expansion Kits?) that are meant to remain stationary that use the older/heavier/cheaper lead acid. Kind of a neat solution IMO.
    I saw something where people are repurposing used or refurbished Electric Vehicle batteries to make their own powerwalls. Also saw were there have been catastrophic failures.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    Tagging in for info….

Just bought a Honda EU2200i for hurricanes and such, and found it won’t run my portable AC.
    Depends on the size of your AC, but some people get by with two small generators and a parallel kit. Another option is one of those AC conversions (soft start? hard start capacitor? something like that) that they use in RVs to deal with the initial power demand.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

There is a guy I work with that has a power bank on order. He geeks out out this stuff and I'll ask him if it does what he needs.

I met a guy last week that had a small AC unit on his trailer and was running it off a power pack. I think it was a Goal Zero, or at least the solar panel he had was.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List