Thread: LifeVac

LifeVac

I feel like there are some smart medical people here so figured I’d ask. LifeVac was recently brought to my wife’s attention and piqued her interest as we have a toddler. Any thoughts?

I did a quick Google and found what seemed to be a legit scientific paper about how it performed against Dechoker in dummies which was positive, though not much real-world data. There was another post on LinkedIn by a supposed doctor that seemed too emotional, but he brought up some potentially logical statements, though not supported and I don’t know that any of them seemed like they would entirely dispel the product.

Anyways, anyone that knows anything about this stuff have an opinion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I'm not sure that this would be anymore effective than the current research based CPR/BLS practices that are the current standard. This device's operation seems to be rely on the creation of a negative pressure between the obstruction and the outside world. This will depend on getting a good mask seal on the vic's face. Good mask seal is one of the areas in which even trained BLS providers have a significant level of difficulty. A lay person with little to no practice time would likely have greater difficulty. If the mask isn't sealed, this thing wont work. Add facial har to the vic and things get even more difficult. I

At to their claims of saves. Most of the calls for "choking" are not complete airway obstructions or are cleared PTA. I wonder if those are included in their n.

t's a cool idea but I think real training in the proven methods are still the best choice.
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

User Tag List