Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: California's drought and water theft

California's drought and water theft

So I've seen more articles lately about serious water theft by the illegal marijuana farmers like this one: https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-american-west
    They are stealing from fire hydrants to the point that the fire hydrants are removed all together in many areas.
    They are stealing from farmers, sometimes by force or coercion.
    They are stealing our water from the aqueducts, rivers, lakes, private wells, homes etc...
    In some areas they are leaving very little left for the fish and wildlife.
    Let's not even get into the violence surrounding these illegal grows, Netflix has a documentary Murder Mountain https://www.netflix.com/title/80217475

What about the amount or pollution and degradation to the environment afterwards, why do the environmentalist give this industry a pass?

Living in California where it has been legal recreationally for awhile and even when it was not there are generations of people I know that are moderate to heavy users and treat it more as a lifestyle, I can say that I'm not a fan of it personally. I don't care if others use it in moderation as long as myself or my family do not have exposure to it, unfortunately even my neighborhood or even my son's school smells like a damn grateful dead concert at 7:45 am sometimes The amount of people smoking and driving is out of control. I have no solution, I just don't like the direction that this is all heading...

/old man rant
    Last edited by Savage Hands; 07-24-2021 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Hands View Post
    So I've seen more articles lately about serious water theft by the illegal marijuana farmers like this one: https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-american-west
    They are stealing from fire hydrants to the point that the fire hydrants are removed all together in many areas.
    They are stealing from farmers, sometimes by force or coercion.
    They are stealing our water from the aqueducts, rivers, lakes, private wells, homes etc...
    In some areas they are leaving very little left for the fish and wildlife.
    Let's not even get into the violence surrounding these illegal grows, Netflix has a documentary Murder Mountain https://www.netflix.com/title/80217475

What about the amount or pollution and degradation to the environment afterwards, why does the environmentalist give this industry a pass?

Living in California where it has been legal recreationally for awhile and even when it was not there are generations of people I know that are moderate to heavy users and treat it more as a lifestyle, I can say that I'm not a fan of it personally. I don't care if others use it in moderation as long as myself or my family do not have exposure to it, unfortunately even my neighborhood or even my son's school smells like a damn grateful dead concert at 7:45 am sometimes The amount of people smoking and driving is out of control. I have no solution, I just don't like the direction that this is all heading...

/old man rant
    I hear you. It was pretty bad up the coast around Santa Cruz by the time we moved east in 2014. I'm not a fan, either. There was serious criminal activity and repercussions well up Highway 9.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

To me, Cali is a different world. We have family out there, and I have a good friend who is a LEO for LBPD We took a family vacation out there many years ago, during some sort of water emergency. They only allowed so much water per day, "washed" dishes in filthy water, limited bathing, etc. I explained to them that where we're from in Ohio, we get our water from the ground, courtesy of a deep well pump, it is then returned to the earth through our leach bed. It is then reabsorbed by the earth, and the process is repeated. They were also shocked to learn that we have 2 creeks, a swamp, and several artesian wells on the property. I was floored when they asked how much that all cost.....

In defense of sane Californians, they are total liberal whack jobs. And before anyone goes and gets all butthurt over the use of that term, relax, I don't care.
    Participation does not equal Proficiency
    - Mike Pannone

California's been stealing water from surrounding states for decades. Karma's a bitch.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    California's been stealing water from surrounding states for decades. Karma's a bitch.
    That's above my pay grade...

Here's a good breakdown on California's water problem.

https://calmatters.org/environment/2...ater-shortage/

Bottom line. No matter how much water the pot growers steal, you're screwed.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Reminds an old science fictioneer like me of 'Farmer In The Sky.'
    Emigrate to Ganymede to escape a California with multiple nukes serving desalination plants. In the meanwhile, don't forget to add up your ration points after every meal.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post

Yes.

My understanding is that if the aqueducts fail not enough water can be shipped in to prevent mass death.

CA dumped how many millions of acre-feet of fresh water ( 1 foot deep over an acre = 43,560 cubic feet of water = 325,828.8 gallons) into the ocean ?

A crisis or multiple crisis give politicians more power.....

Besides so what if you don't have water in California at least you have lots of cool hemp products..... I remember it wasn't that long ago that was the reason for legalizing marijuana.

The stupid f****** governor of the great state of Washington would blame it all on global warming or climate change or whatever is convenient this week.

Their rapid transit system and those millions of acres of solar panels will save them.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List