Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Undercover in the 80's

Site Supporter
    I feel privileged that I get to read @blues stories. My favorite cop book was written by a Customs guy from the same era. Truly good stuff.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Over the years after my primary UC for 9 months, we had other stuff like baseball caps with transmitters, envelope transmitters, (that I once had a perp throw off the balcony of an Embassy Suites in Miami down into the Lobby / Atrium below...which taught us never to have a room that high up when we had to fight, since it was close to someone dropping quite a few floors), clock radio installations, pinhole lenses in walls and the best was our undercover warehouse which was setup for audio / video and had a separate monitoring room and a staging area for the bust team.

Nothing compared to today's technology.

I don't even know what those things are that BBI posted above.
    Cell phones?
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

In this movie I saw…. There may or may not be an entire large shopping center parking lot wired up with about 20 cameras on the parking lot. And in said movie, the cops may have always wanted to do their crook meets in that specific parking lot since they already had it hard wired for video and possibly audio, from 20 different angles, and night vision and thermal. Possibly. But it’s only a movie. It never happens in real life. Nope…. Never. Only in the movies.

And of course these days you can pack a transmitter in just about anything.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Cell phones?
    Like, you mean... one of these?!? <raises eyebrow skeptically>

Name:  hqdefault.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  15.7 KB
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    In this movie I saw…. There may or may not be an entire large shopping center parking lot wired up with about 20 cameras on the parking lot. And in said movie, the cops may have always wanted to do their crook meets in that specific parking lot since they already had it hard wired for video and possibly audio, from 20 different angles, and night vision and thermal. Possibly. But it’smon only a movie. It never happens in real life. Nope…. Never. Only in the movies.

And of course these days you can pack a transmitter in just about anything.
    The sheriffs dept. had an unmarked pickup with a solid canopy on it. I was told it was chock full of electronic surveillance gear. Not sure how that was used but I'm guessing some type of cell signal intercept or maybe wifi monitoring equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Page 2 and no Uzi pics yet? I watched Miami Vice and I know you are holding out
    I thought it was MAC 10's or 11's. Rivi loved his MAC11.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    Like, you mean... one of these?!? <raises eyebrow skeptically>

Name:  hqdefault.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  15.7 KB
    I think he said he worked with Crockett and Tubbs down there in Miami. But I wouldn't swear to it in court.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    I feel privileged that I get to read @blues stories. My favorite cop book was written by a Customs guy from the same era. Truly good stuff.

Thank you!
    Thanks, Newb. It's fun to share them with you.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    My favorite cop book was written by a Customs guy from the same era. Truly good stuff.

Thank you!
    Which book, if I may ask?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Which book, if I may ask?

Sixty Miles of Border.

https://www.amazon.com/Sixty-Miles-B...7532031&sr=8-3

The worst thing about it is that it makes me jealous of things I never got to do in a time that was probably pretty awesome to work in.

The good is it’s interesting and actually pretty funny.

User Tag List