Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Undercover in the 80's

Undercover in the 80's

What it looked like for the most part...though I also had a Nagra taped in place to get a good recording if the Kel transmitter failed. (Something to play at my funeral, I guess.)

What it felt like going to the meet:

Those were the days...

Be interested in seeing some of the new devices that can be shown in public without jeopardizing anyone in the field. If not possible, let's let it lie.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

That got a laugh out of me. I started out using Kels...and the old transmitters that looked like pagers were still around, but we didn't use them.

We've come a very long way. I may have used a Kel-type wire once in the last 3 years. The technology is very different now. We used to run a covert camera to get video that was a separate device from the wire, and we'd watch the video back at the office after the op. Now the audio/video is generally combined, and we watch the video live. That's probably as a specific as I can get on an open forum.

I thought that was Bob Odenkirk.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Be interested in seeing some of the new devices that can be shown in public without jeopardizing anyone in the field.

Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

All the “bugs” we had were notorious for not working. The best one was a fake tape measure for ease of carrying it. The fake pager was good too but it was pretty outdated. We used our brick phones. Call your partner and put the phone in your back pocket. We used them for cover/safety than evidence gathering.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

#RESIST

Over the years after my primary UC for 9 months, we had other stuff like baseball caps with transmitters, envelope transmitters, (that I once had a perp throw off the balcony of an Embassy Suites in Miami down into the Lobby / Atrium below...which taught us never to have a room that high up when we had to fight, since it was close to someone dropping quite a few floors), clock radio installations, pinhole lenses in walls and the best was our undercover warehouse which was setup for audio / video and had a separate monitoring room and a staging area for the bust team.

Nothing compared to today's technology.

I don't even know what those things are that BBI posted above.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Over the years after my primary UC for 9 months, we had other stuff like baseball caps with transmitters, envelope transmitters, (that I once had a perp throw off the balcony of an Embassy Suites in Miami down into the Lobby / Atrium below...which taught us never to have a room that high up when we had to fight, since it was close to someone dropping quite a few floors), clock radio installations, pinhole lenses in walls and the best was our undercover warehouse which was setup for audio / video and had a separate monitoring room and a staging area for the bust team.

Nothing compared to today's technology.

I don't even know what those things are that BBI posted above.
    I know some North Miami guys that had a few warehouse setups over the years, and they had a lot of success with reverses. They smoked several guys in the warehouses, as well.

You are writing a book right? Please?

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    I know some North Miami guys that had a few warehouse setups over the years, and they had a lot of success with reverses. They smoked several guys in the warehouses, as well.
    One of my North Miami Beach guys got arrested. It really sucked because I did a handful of fun ops with him and even had him to my home. Fucker was getting paid off for info by some bad guys unrelated to our matters, as far as I know.

Still hurts.

Our warehouse was dope...literally. We had a guy from the late Bush 1 administration or early Clinton years come down to Miami so I could give him a dog and pony show at the site.

He eventually became the head of Interpol.

User Tag List