Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Tiny guns

Today’s kayak carry. G26 in a Raven Vanguard. Perfect fit in a NRS Ninja.

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Basically told me that I installed it wrong and refused to look at it. The company I bought the parts from were skeptical and didn't feel the same way as corporate. It put in a situation where I would have to rely on someone like Bruce Gray to look at it or just accept that mine worked that way.
    Dang, that's pretty bad customer service.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

One of the reasons I went from a J frame as a pocket gun to a Shield 1.0 as a pocket gun:
    -More ammo on tap before I need to reload
    -More effective ammo is readily available
    -Easier to shoot accurately
    -Better sights
    -Faster reloads if needed
    -Easier to carry the reloads
    -Able to mount a light & laser combo

For the most part, I still prefer a full size service pistol- I tended towards a Hipower, but was comfortable enough with the Shield in most circumstances.

The plan for next year is to move to a Shield Plus with an optic, and probably a 4" version IWB.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    ..... women who are 5’ or less and petite. Relative to their body size, a “compact” pistol like a G19 is huge. Concealing something like that is much harder for them than it is for an average-to-large male.

It’s good to have tiny options even if they aren’t the “best” choice for the “average” person.
    As a 44 year old male who is 5'0, 125lbs, the smallest gun I will carry is a P2000sk. At home, I may occasionally stuff a J frame in my draw string shorts, but if I have a belt on, I'm carrying the SK.

Oddly, at home, I'm more concearned about targeted violence than random home invasion.

Another concern is coyotes going after my dog. Can't imagine tagging a running coyote with a J. So far, my hit rate on small running critters is exceptional with HKs.
    Taking a break from social media.

Horses for courses. Tiny guns have their place and can't be beaten when used appropriately. NPE situations, running, quick trip to the store, swimming, the scenarios KevH posted. As second gun or small statured people tiny guns are great. It is better to have "a" gun that not have one if the need arises. Tiny guns are not always the answer but they are an answer for some people and some situations so I am glad they are available. Now with micro compact guns being more popular and available in 9mm and the 380 LCP Max it is great to have so many choices.

I love my S&W P340 in scandium and my 442 but I doubt I will carry either again unless something very rare comes up or the environment changes significantly. The lack of capacity, slower/more difficult reload that is bulkier to carry, thickness, weight and how much better 380 ammo has gotten it just doesn't make sense.

When a handgun gets past the point of diminishing returns, in compactness, I tend to not want to carry it, even if it means not carrying a firearm. On the revolver side, a J-Frame is just past that point, unless it has oversized grips, and, those oversized grips make a J-Frame about as large as an SP101 or K-Frame, so, it makes sense to tote the SP101 and/or K-Snubs. I can barely recall the last time I toted a J-Snub, as the only firearm, and it was memorable because it was an anomaly.

Notably, a K-Frame, or larger revolver, has noticeably MUCH more working room, for reloading, than a J-Frame or SP101.

On the auto-pistol side of things, I am a mess, and have things to sort out, before I declare a “new” minimal-comfortable carry gun. I no longer fully trust my ungracefully-aging right hand to provide a stable platform for all autos to reliably function, with special concern for compact weapons. I am left-handed, but right-armed, and chose to carry primary on the right side, in 1983. So, shooting lefty is not a problem. Becoming comfortable with left-side-primary carry may, or may not, become a reality.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    My LCP is reliable, and sometimes I carry it. Doc-GR, our ammo guru, has a sticky that discusses handgun calibers and self defense. He has little good to say about the 380 ACP regardless of ammo choices. Though I like my small 380, I don't rank it highly as a self defense pistol. I carry it when I get lazy. My J frame for me makes more sense. My Shield makes even more sense.

On the doctor visit where one must disrobe, my trick is to bring my wife who carries a purse large enough to hide a brace of Colt Walker pistols and a few bottles of bourbon. That way I can carry my usual chopped (to take G26 magazines) G17.3 to the doctor's office, wait for the nurse to leave, undo the VM-2 with the magnetic closures from my belt, and hand it to my wife. When the doctor is done and it is time to get dressed, she hands it back to me. If I have to go it alone, I end up locking the pistol in the vehicle. So I try not to go alone.

For NPE, I have learned to use the G26.3 in a Sparks Nexus with the tuckable clips at about 1:30. The belt covers the clips, and the pistol is under the tucked dress shirt. Not fast, but I have a small analog of my usual carry pistol with the exact grip, trigger, and magazine capacity. It is a compromise I am willing to make to have a real pistol.

I also carry a talisman, a Seeccamp LWS32. I figure a small backup is better than no backup.

I’ve mentioned this on the P-F before, but my family practitioner and everyone who works in his office carry. My father was his associate, and he carried. The senior partner had pistols staged throughout the office! 👍😁

I personally don’t get small guns and why people are interested in all these new little guns that keep coming out. Small guns have there place and I am all for more men and women being able to carry something to arm themselves.

I think it is personal and so person specific that it really does depend on the individual on what they can conceal carry. The only way I cannot carry a full-size pistol is if it is a true NPE were I choose not to carry. I guess you just do it long enough and have figured out what works for you.

If I have to get some physical therapy/mobility work rehabbing an injury, I just bring my backpack with my own stuff. They appreciate that I have my own stuff and have came prepared. It is also not alarming to anyone that I have my bag with me.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    I’ve mentioned this on the P-F before, but my family practitioner and everyone who works in his office carry. My father was his associate, and he carried. The senior partner had pistols staged throughout the office! 👍😁
    I wish I had a doctor like yours!
    Last edited by EVP; 07-28-2021 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Spelling

User Tag List