Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tiny guns

Tiny guns

It's a funny thing about tiny guns. We have had quite a few pop up over the last 3 yrs or so. Different ideas on mags now allow more rounds in a given size. Getting 10, 11, or 12 rnds in about the same space as we used to only fit 8-9 sure helps. What's funny about this? Seems like within 1-2 yrs all the tiny guns come out w/ a large version. I guess people find out that the tiny guns are great to carry but not so great to shoot.

When the subject comes up and it does semi-frequently when people start talking about carry guns/handguns, I ask them the following;

What is the smallest gun that you would be willing to get into a fight and bet your life, the lives of your family members on, if you found yourself in a fight against one or possibly two attackers, who themselves are armed?

Is that an LCP, G19/G43, a J Frame, a 1911?

The topic of carrying a talisman is then discussed. People like to carry what is essentially a pocket talisman. Something they can pull out and wave at the evil that has presented itself in hopes it will slink off. They hope they don't actually have to fire the talisman, as it quite often isn't super reliable and/or usually is of very limited capacity, and in a very minor caliber. Things like a NAA single action mini revolver come to mind.

They are relying on "Hope" as a strategy..

Whatever you decide is the minimum you would feel comfortable getting into a gunfight with against at least two adversaries, carry that, and leave your talisman at home.

Tiny guns are fun for snakes and such, but for defense against people who wish to do me harm, I will take a different approach if given the opportunity.

Every time my state threatens a magazine ban, I get asked what gun I'll carry instead of a P-07. My answer: a P-07 with a 10 round mag, and an extra reload. 15+1 is nice, but not the main reason I choose a carry gun. Reliability and being able to shoot it nearly as well as a Shadow2 are at the top of the list. When I carried a G19 and competed with a G34, the answers were the same.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Def food for thought. I love the convenience of small guns. Like goofing with them , at the range. Have owned many little .25s, settled on Beretta pre safety holds 9 rounds, and a little seecamp in .25. The 365 has raised the bar. Actually, I wish the manufacturers would just meet me half way. Give me something in between a micro 365 and 320. Needs enough for grip, narrow enough short enough, safe enogh for IWB comfort.

There was mention of a “slimmer” omega CZ supposedly in works, but I have not heard anything in that regard for some time.

Dave

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I know this is in "semi-auto" but when I need a "tiny gun" it's always a revolver. An LCR is the smallest thing I own, and I'm fine with that for random violence in the contexts I tend to carry it. Yes, it wouldn't be my first choice storming into an active shooter situation, but I'm pretty unlikely to run into one of those while jogging, and the rifle gets some looks...

I shot the tiny Glocks and it felt like I was holding them with chopsticks. The Shield was the smallest semi-auto I could ever shoot what I would consider reasonably well. The 43X is now my go-to for smaller gun carry, and I don't think it's the level of smallness under discussion.

As to why they then introduce various sizes, flippin' market share man! The bones are the same, just make some changes and you have a new model and people like to buy new models. Note that they introduce them one at a time? Ruger didn't release the LCR, LCR(x), and 3" versions on the same day. No, that'd be stupid. Let people buy the 2" until it's not the hot newness any longer, then introduce a 3". Magazines and websites write about it, gun stores have something new to talk about, and guys who would have skipped the 2" if the 3" was available *then* already bought the 2" so now they buy both...
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

A 642 is currently my "tiny" gun but I'm looking hard at the new LCP Max... Tiny guns may suck but they still fill a niche role.

Little gun experience

Over the decades I too have been looking at tiny guns. In no particular order: A North American Arms .32acp.....looks a lot like a Seecamp .32. Functioned fine. Never carried it. Ruger LCP original in .380acp. Functioned fine. Never carried it. Sig P245 in .45acp. Functioned fine. Never carried it. Beretta .25acp with the pop-up barrel. Functioned fine. Never carried it. Don't know about you all, but I think I see a pattern here.

I bought these pistols because I thought they would carry well. While they could be carried ok, I found access to the firearm the issue. The grip area gave little to grab onto. Not to mention the questionable caliber choice for self-defense. But quick access with a secure grip in a stressful situation turned me away from them.

I carry a S&W 340PD revolver wise. Pistol wise it's a HK P2000.

I have no grievance with tiny guns, or key fob guns as I call them. I wish they worked for me as they fill certain niches very well, but they don't. I have several old school tinies: Beretta 70, Walther PP, Browning BDA..... I have them because they're sexy, but none of them get it done for me as a primary. Even the Kahr K9 I carried for twenty five years as a BUG now does desk drawer duty. I'm currently issued a G23 at work, which I hate with a passion. It always feels like it's going to pop out of my hands and if I don't get my thumb placement just right the slide stop engages prematurely on a too frequent basis. Every morning when I get to work, it's with sadness that I leave my 4506 in the lock box and put on that stubby little thing. First world problems. I could be in Haiti with an M14 without a front sight.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

In defense of tiny guns, there’s proportionality. I’m friends with a couple of women who are 5’ or less and petite. Relative to their body size, a “compact” pistol like a G19 is huge. Concealing something like that is much harder for them than it is for an average-to-large male.

It’s good to have tiny options even if they aren’t the “best” choice for the “average” person.

I tend to prefer smaller pistols. I carried a J for enough years that I’m personally comfortable with the capacity of a 43 most of the time. I’m also low speed / high drag.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List