Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Thread: Tiny guns

How very boomer of you.

Cat
    (also a boomer, takes one to know one)

This is one of those things that's always an interesting discussion.

I get strongly that for a lot of people the choice is a tiny gun or no gun. So tiny gun makes the most sense. I have steered a good few people into G42's based on either them working in a legal or cultural NPE or the fact that realistically that was as much gun as they were ever going to carry.

I've on the other hand found myself viewing my G48 is barely adequate after the events here of July 2021. When your day job goes from being another day in the office to being in a no go zone while you're there it changes perspective a little But i also understand I am not going to get fired for carrying a gun to work and my dress code is pretty relaxed which helps concealment. I have also been guilty like many others of forgetting why we actually carry guns. Which leads me every so often to look at smaller and smaller blasters, then when I look at the performance they give me i start looking at bigger guns again. I genuinely don't know if I would've done particularity well during the times I needed a gun had I have been armed with a j frame. In fact the first one I would've been lucky more than skillful.

I do get the need to carry something tiny in many work places, I too have worked in places where getting made would've had me fired, so I took a chance and appreciated the consequences of counter policy carry. I think things like the Enigma make bigger guns more viable in that role for a lot of people as they can offer amazing concealment and access with bigger more capable guns. I struggle more with the taking a J frame to get bread and milk at night argument. Because I am probably more likely to actually have to need to thing then than the majority of other places I find myself in on the reg. Here I am also very likely to be dealing with multiple bad guys, and I don't want a one bad guy gun for that. They also don't make massive sense to be in the house. Concealment isn't an issue there but Home Invasion is a real and serious concern. Once again multiple bad guys who by the very nature of hitting an occupied house are particularly aggressive.

This is likely a long way of saying I get why you may want or need to carry a smaller gun, but i think its unwise to pretend its the same level of protection, nor is it wise to do so because you couldn't be arsed to carry a bit more as opposed to being stuck with something far less capable.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    This is one of those things that's always an interesting discussion.

I get strongly that for a lot of people the choice is a tiny gun or no gun. So tiny gun makes the most sense. I have steered a good few people into G42's based on either them working in a legal or cultural NPE or the fact that realistically that was as much gun as they were ever going to carry.

I've on the other hand found myself viewing my G48 is barely adequate after the events here of July 2021. When your day job goes from being another day in the office to being in a no go zone while you're there it changes perspective a little But i also understand I am not going to get fired for carrying a gun to work and my dress code is pretty relaxed which helps concealment. I have also been guilty like many others of forgetting why we actually carry guns. Which leads me every so often to look at smaller and smaller blasters, then when I look at the performance they give me i start looking at bigger guns again. I genuinely don't know if I would've done particularity well during the times I needed a gun had I have been armed with a j frame. In fact the first one I would've been lucky more than skillful.

I do get the need to carry something tiny in many work places, I too have worked in places where getting made would've had me fired, so I took a chance and appreciated the consequences of counter policy carry. I think things like the Enigma make bigger guns more viable in that role for a lot of people as they can offer amazing concealment and access with bigger more capable guns. I struggle more with the taking a J frame to get bread and milk at night argument. Because I am probably more likely to actually have to need to thing then than the majority of other places I find myself in on the reg. Here I am also very likely to be dealing with multiple bad guys, and I don't want a one bad guy gun for that. They also don't make massive sense to be in the house. Concealment isn't an issue there but Home Invasion is a real and serious concern. Once again multiple bad guys who by the very nature of hitting an occupied house are particularly aggressive.

This is likely a long way of saying I get why you may want or need to carry a smaller gun, but i think its unwise to pretend its the same level of protection, nor is it wise to do so because you couldn't be arsed to carry a bit more as opposed to being stuck with something far less capable.
    I think most people here when mentioning a "quick run to the store" mean a daytime trip to a safe location vs a nighttime run to a Stop-n-Rob.
    The 3 S Rule seems to be fairly well understood around here.

Site Supporter
    I have the same set up on doing yard work, sitting watching the news
    or anything else at home, that I put on with my pants in the morning,
    unless it was a very rare day that a tiny gun was necessary but, if that's
    the case I put on a JM with something antiquate when I get in the car.
    I live in quite a rural area, work in a low, growing to medium threat area,
    but like consistency.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    It's a funny thing about tiny guns. We have had quite a few pop up over the last 3 yrs or so. Different ideas on mags now allow more rounds in a given size. Getting 10, 11, or 12 rnds in about the same space as we used to only fit 8-9 sure helps. What's funny about this? Seems like within 1-2 yrs all the tiny guns come out w/ a large version. I guess people find out that the tiny guns are great to carry but not so great to shoot.
    HK P2000sk 40 S&W. Totlly reliable and accurate💰

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Latka Gravas View Post
    I learned real quick to carry two Bainchi speed strips in my shirt pocket-for the exact reason you stated. During my first "drama", it was over to fast that there was no time (or need) for topping off the gun.
    During my revolver days as a district court baliff, I carried a speed strip in each shirt pocket along with the two reloads on the duty belt. I could use the strips to feed either the M64 or the Bodyguard Airweight which came along for high risk trials.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    I think most people here when mentioning a "quick run to the store" mean a daytime trip to a safe location vs a nighttime run to a Stop-n-Rob.
    Name:  2021recommendations.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  74.6 KB

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by D-der View Post
    I live in quite a rural area, work in a low, growing to medium threat area,
    but like consistency.
    My situation is such that the threat probability has gone up both where I live and where I work, but that is pretty normal as the non-urban parts of the USA also begin to go Mad Max/Camp of the Saints. I still depend on the small snub/subcompact semiauto, but brothers and sisters, I do so from normalcy bias and residual Fuddness as much as I do "pocketability." The first two are head-in-the-sand stupidity, the latter a legitimate consideration.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Because I don't trust many others than my immediate family members, I carry this Keltec PF9 in 9mm from the time I roll out of bed until I get ready for bed. It is my BUG for all my full sized guns I carry.
    Name:  PF9.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  67.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post

I would be very surprised if none of them meant a stop and rob at night at least occasionally.

Lots of places can get bad during the day, even if they're not ordinarily stupid places.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

User Tag List