Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Tiny guns

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    When the subject comes up and it does semi-frequently when people start talking about carry guns/handguns, I ask them the following;

What is the smallest gun that you would be willing to get into a fight and bet your life, the lives of your family members on, if you found yourself in a fight against one or possibly two attackers, who themselves are armed?

Is that an LCP, G19/G43, a J Frame, a 1911?
    I would prefer my P250c, 1911(s), or P35, but my answer for this would be my Kahr K9/CW9. And I'd want both of them.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    What is the smallest gun that you would be willing to get into a fight and bet your life, the lives of your family members on, if you found yourself in a fight against one or possibly two attackers, who themselves are armed?
    For me, it's worked out to be a 3" K frame or a P99C. Of those two, the P99C is objectively the better choice, but I just like K frames and shoot them well. Now that I have a Kramer belt scabbard for the P99C, the choice becomes harder for this traditionalist.

When the subject comes up and it does semi-frequently when people start talking about carry guns/handguns, I ask them the following;

Is that an LCP, G19/G43, a J Frame, a 1911?
    This describes the, “reality check” I periodically have with myself whenever I am tempted to rethink my off-duty carry gun. As retirement is quickly approaching, I revisited this concept, only to decide nothing’s really changed. For me, a Glock 19 works most of the time. The challenge is for those few times that the Glock 19 is just too big.

Over the years, I’ve spent a lot of time and money chasing the perfect little gun only to find that there comes a point of diminishing returns when trying to effectively combine hand size with gun size. I have big hands with long fingers. I can shoot tiny guns like a Glock 42/43 or a Sig P365 well enough when it's a static environment. But if I pick up the pace by adding movement and speed, I see the wheels fall off of my tiny gun's wagon fast. I recently found something that has become my little gun for when the Glock 19 is too big. It's the Shield Plus.
    Last edited by Beat Trash; 08-01-2021 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    This describes the, “reality check” I periodically have with myself whenever I am tempted to rethink my off-duty carry gun. As retirement is quickly approaching, I revisited this concept, only to decide nothing’s really changed. For me, a Glock 19 works most of the time. The challenge is for those few times that the Glock 19 is just too big.

Over the years, I’ve spent a lot of time and money chasing the perfect little gun only to find that there comes a point of diminishing returns when trying to effectively combine hand size with gun size. I have big hands with long fingers. I can shoot tiny guns like a Glock 42/43 or a Sig P365 well enough when it's a static environment. But if I pick up the pace by adding movement and speed, I see the wheels fall off of my tiny gun's wagon fast. I recently found something that has become my little gun for when the Glock 19 is too big. It's the Shield Plus.
    My P365 effectively deadlined my G43. I shoot the P365 very well and shoot the P365XL as well as I shoot the G19 sized guns. I also have the Hellcat because it is just that little bit bigger (I too have large hands). Then the Shield Plus came along.

I picked one up last Tuesday and only have 100 rounds through it (recent back surgery became necessary after wearing the duty belt for just over a quarter of a century.....sigh....). Since the initial outing, I've been dry firing the crap out of it and am really starting to like it......

What is the smallest gun that you would be willing to get into a fight and bet your life, the lives of your family members on, if you found yourself in a fight...
    Simple response without the non-permissive environment or social circles arguments: 2" round butt model 10 (hanging in my waistband right now) or GLOCK 27.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonder9 View Post
    Name:  thefutureisnowoldman.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  32.7 KB
    That image is deceptive when it comes to pocket carry... One of those slips out of the pocket like it's on rails while the other one actively fights to stay in there.

Site Supporter
    I pocket carry a P365 (original version) at least 5 days/week for at least half of every year. With carefully selected pants as well as a carefully selected pocket holster, drawing from a pocket is easy.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    That image is deceptive when it comes to pocket carry... One of those slips out of the pocket like it's on rails while the other one actively fights to stay in there.

Indeed, and its an important aspect thats nearly always left unmentioned when dimensions come up. People mostly only state the 2 dimensions, height and length, but the diagonal difference between revolvers and autos is a significant matter for pocket carry. If the same image can be done with the revolver on top of the auto it would show clearly.

Name:  Pistol size.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  73.6 KB
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I pocket carry a P365 (original version) at least 5 days/week for at least half of every year. With carefully selected pants as well as a carefully selected pocket holster, drawing from a pocket is easy.
    You might be a bigger dude than I am... 5'7" with a 31" waist. I wear Carhartt's which have pretty damn generous front pockets and it's still a no-go for me. Yes, I can retrieve the 365 if only removing it is the goal, but I demand the ability to achieve a full firing grip inside the pocket and then smoothly draw the gun... The combination of the back corner of the slide plus my closed fist creates a pocket jam that I have to fight through to draw. Sometimes it works but it's not 100% repeatable for me.

User Tag List