Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1000 Lumen Light: No Crenelated Bezel + Shrouded Tailcap Options?

Site Supporter

E-Series threads <> DF threads

Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    It looks like the OKW head might work on a 2-cell standard surefire body? Like a Malkoff Bodyguard Body.
    No. The Bodyguard uses MDC threading which is the same as Surefire E-Series threading, the OKW is Surefire DF threading. DF and E-series threading is not compatible (according to everything I've read, I don't own any DFs to actually try but I believe the Malkoffs and other vendors). The Malkoff wiki I linked above explains MDC and other Malkoff terminology.

(From what I surmise, E-series is built around 16mm cells and DF around 18mm cells).

If you want the Malkoff head competitors to an OKW with E-Series threading, they are the E2XT and E2XTD with 500 lumens/55,000 Lux and 650 Lumens/70,000 Lux respectively. The E2XTL has DF threading.
    Malkoff E2XT, E2XTD, and E2XTL

While a lot more lux, they are larger heads then the E2HT I linked above and for me, too large for pocket carry, but YMMV.

ETA:

It says OKW can work either as 2-cell CR123
    While I don't own one, the modlite website is pretty clear on not using CR123s with the OKW:

Lithium CR123 cells are not supported and if used will cause the cells to heat up and possibly explode or catch fire. We recommend the KeepPower 18650/18350 high drain cells which can be found here.
    Supporting both CR123 and 16650/18650 was a big reason why I went with the Malkoff head instead of the modlite, not to mention size and E-series thread compatibility.
    Last edited by SiriusBlunder; 07-29-2021 at 02:18 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post

Is it stupid to want a 2-cell 1000 lumen single power light, shrouded tailcap, smooth bezel?

How long do you need the light to operate at 1000 lumens? 20 minutes? 1 hour? 8 hours?
    Do you need throw or flood? Mix of both?
    Do you care about tint?
    I was just wondering.

Take a look at Oveready or Barrel Flashlights. I think you'll have to program them to single stage.
    Last edited by Blades; 07-31-2021 at 11:22 AM.
    --Jason--

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    How long do you need the light to operate at 1000 lumens? 20 minutes? 1 hour? 8 hours?
    Do you need throw or flood? Mix of both?
    Do you care about tint?
    I was just wondering.

Take a look at Oveready or Barrel Flashlights. I think you'll have to program them to single stage.
    Interesting. Oveready shows about $400 for a light. Unless it can do my laundry and check the air in my tires, that's too much. And it looks like Barrel may have gone tits-up based on their website. They're showing 10 products total, all out of stock. And their "Our Lights" tab comes back "404 Page not found".

You have basically just asked for a gun that holds 15 bullets because you heard somebody say that's what you need to have.

In general CR123 lights cannot support a thousand lumens without overheating. The draw is too high. So anything in that range will have a large step down after x amount of time. If that's okay with you then gtg.

I have a 200 lumen light that will likely out throw many 1,000 lumen lights so in other words candela is really more important than lumens and if you don't understand that you may have to do some reading.

If I had to have as close to a thousand lumens as possible with no step down and no DNA collectors and I had no knowledge of beam patterns or candela or color temperature. And weight and size was not a concern an Elzetta
    bravo or Charlie or Bones would be a good starting spot.

If you don't have a modern flashlight a simple sure fire G2X tactical will probably blow your mind and they're 50 bucks. And when you can figure out after using such a light what you really need in a light it's a great backup or glove box light.

Finding the right illumination tool is much like finding the right carry gun and holster it usually takes a few iterations.

Most people who put much effort into handheld lights likely have 10 to 15 of them between stuff they've tried and stuff they like with a few backups.

Good luck!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry T View Post
    Interesting. Oveready shows about $400 for a light. Unless it can do my laundry and check the air in my tires, that's too much. And it looks like Barrel may have gone tits-up based on their website. They're showing 10 products total, all out of stock. And their "Our Lights" tab comes back "404 Page not found".
    Yep, Oveready and Barrel are expensive and why I don't have one, but they are very bright and can be programmed to what you want. They make them slowly so I think you have to be on the waitlist, or catch them when they drop a few.

Malkoff may be the economical choice to get close to what you want. If you sign up for their newsletter they usually send you a discount code.
    --Jason--

Site Supporter
    The Malkoff Bodyguard version 2 is close, but drops to 250 lumens after about 8 seconds. It always comes on at the higher lumen amount. It can run on 2xCR123 or a single 18650, with the single 18650 providing higher output. You have the option of a fully shrouded tailcap, which is what I use.

Do you really need 1000 lumens for anything that requires keeping the light on for more than 8 seconds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I am big fan of the Malkoff Bodyguard. Sounds like the Bodyguard 2 would be a great contender for the OP.
    As someone mentioned earlier, being able to use either CR123s or a 16650 is an advantage for me.

Site Supporter
    The Bodyguard can be reset after the 8 seconds, just click it off and back on. It can do that until the battery dies.
    --Jason--

Site Supporter
    The Asp Raptor DF may work for you. I think you can set it to high and then lock it.
    --Jason--

Could not resist responding.... ;-)

Here is exactly what you are asking for;

https://malkoffdevices.com/collectio...oducts/m91-md3

https://malkoffdevices.com/collectio...ody-and-switch

As others have stated, standard CR123 batteries won't cut it. Here's what you'd need;

2 - https://www.orbtronic.com/18350-batt...i-ion-flat-top

or...

2 - https://www.illumn.com/batteries-cha...-flat-top.html

Both of the 2x 18350 will give the full 1,000 lumen output. You could also run the light on a single 18650 cell for about 650 lumens of output.

I have this exact setup and opted for the high/low switch on the M91B head.

User Tag List