Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1000 Lumen Light: No Crenelated Bezel + Shrouded Tailcap Options?

1000 Lumen Light: No Crenelated Bezel + Shrouded Tailcap Options?

I’d like to upgrade my handheld light based on a ballistic radio interview from our very own chuck haggard. I only have a very old handheld light that I don’t carry often and isn’t very bright. Chuck made me realize it’s a good idea.

What I’d like doesn’t seem to exist based on a quick search:

Single mode 1000 lumen light. No low mode. No multiple modes. Dead simple, turn it in, you get 1,000 until the battery dies or you turn it off.

No crenellations on the bezel. It’s 2021, I thought we knew better by now.

Shrouded tail cap to avoid negligent light discharge in pocket.

I actually prefer single fuel, 2 cell cr123 but am open to dual fuel with the rechargeable mode.

Seems like surefire only makes two 1000 lumens lights, one is a defender model which is perfect except for the ridiculous crenellations, which means I can’t take it through TSA, and I don’t want to scratch someone with my light. Blunt force strikes are doing the damage, not a minor superficial laceration.

The second SF light on their site at 1000 lumens is the Fury DFT which lacks a shrouded tail cap. And because it’s a dual fuel model, I’m guessing one of my ubiquitous 2-cell “scout”/6P body tail caps won’t work.

I moseyed over to malkoff lights and he had a bodyguard. That is exactly what I want except for after 8 seconds it downgrades to 250 lumens.

Anyone know if I can buy an e2d defender and replace the bezel with a smooth one? Or do I have to grind them off with a grinder and refinish it?

Is what I’m looking for a stupid idea? I frequently hit a wall trying to find a product that meets my desires, I guess because I’m stupid. And nobody makes the thing I want.

Is it stupid to want a 2-cell 1000 lumen single power light, shrouded tailcap, smooth bezel?

Site Supporter

Build your own

Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    Single mode 1000 lumen light. No low mode. No multiple modes. Dead simple, turn it in, you get 1,000 until the battery dies or you turn it off.
    Build your own at Malkoff.

I think lux is more important than lumens for a handheld, defensive light so I went with this head:

https://malkoffdevices.com/collectio...gh-output-head

For the body:

https://malkoffdevices.com/collectio...r123-body-only

This body has a recessed switch and takes 2 CR123 or one 16650.

There are other heads that fit on this body with more lumens and less lux if you prefer lumens. Like this one:
    https://malkoffdevices.com/collectio...gh-output-head

Look at these threads for more ideas/companies with components:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....efire-6P-Legos
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....HT-Light-Saber
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....s-Malkoff-Wiki
    Last edited by SiriusBlunder; 07-28-2021 at 05:11 AM. Reason: grammar and added link to option with more lumens

Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    Seems like surefire only makes two 1000 lumens lights
    If 1000 isn't a hard limit, they do make a few more you might want to look at. I bought myself a Tactician earlier this year after yet another Chinese made EDC light went tits up and I've been rather pleased with it for my needs as a daily carry light. It's "only" 800 lumens, but I don't think the human eye detects light in a linear fashion and light lumen numbers are never something you want to take at face value - I'm guessing the light is just as bright as some Chinese "1000 lumen" lights. Bright enough for me anyway. It does have a low mode but that is accessed by turning the head - keep that tightened down and you'll get the full output every time you press the switch. I was a little worried about the pocket clip since it holds the light in the opposite direction than just about any light I've used but in practice, meh - it works fine and enables a fast draw when needed. I think it's possible to switch out the clip into a bezel down one if necessary but like I said, as a bezel down guy I haven't found it to be necessary. I love how narrow the body of this light is! Much more pleasant to carry than a massive 6P style fat tube. The beam pattern is super floody though so if you want a thrower, then this light is not for you. Personally for every day use I'm more about the spill than the throw and the amount of lumens in that thing means it has a decent reach in my opinion for a carry light, so it hasn't been a problem for me. Wouldn't want to mount this light on my general purpose AR though.
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

I carry a “Tactician” on just about a daily basis for a couple of years now. I recently switched to rechargeable 123s with good results. I handle the two battery tube best.
    I have a number of lights to include “keychain” lights, but for me the”T” works. Bezel tight, press switch = 800 lumens, floody. Release, off. Screw switch down for constant on. Unscrew head a bit, and you get a few lumens to read with, etc.
    Excellent short lanyard. Only downside I can possibly name is it won’t tailstand.
    I have no experience with the M lights, but they certainly have positive reports.
    Only other hand held I would consider is a Streamlight like the “Protac”, but it’s less lumens and some complicated switching.

A Modlite PLHv2 handheld would do what you want with 1350 lumens but can ONLY use rechargeables (there's a better pic of that tailcap here). If a pocket clip is important, you might prefer to put a Modlite head on the Valhalla Tactical Baldr EDC body (18350 only) and add your choice of tailcap, like a Surefire clicky or Arisaka momentary.

Battery life

I have a Streamlight ProTac HL 4 flashlight. Max lumen is 2200 and uses 4 CR123A batteries. This flashlight eats up batteries on max setting, which I like and use. Quickly added 18650 rechargeable batteries as my primary set-up. Takes 2 and I have 2 charged ready to swap out when needed. If used, this flashlight uses 4 CR123A batteries.

I know this isn't the size light you are looking for, just giving my experience and battery options. The CR123A batteries would be handy to have on hand in the event that recharging isn't available.

The rechargeable batteries use a separate external charging base.

1000 Lumen Light: No Crenelated Bezel + Shrouded Tailcap Options?

The Malkoff Bodyguard 2 with a IMR 16340 is my answer to this question.
    @NHshooter
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 07-28-2021 at 11:08 AM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Site Supporter
    In the close but no cigar camp

Gas pedal switch push in a little is 5 lumens, push in the whole way it is 1200 lumens. Tail cap is not shrouded. I will leave it to you if the bezel is crenulated.

https://www.surefire.com/products/il...ights/edcl2-t/

Clicky on/off at 850 lumens. No crenulated bezel at all. Switch is NOT shrouded.

https://elzetta.com/product/B132/
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Modlites kick the crap out of everything else in the real world. I have a PLHv1 that I carry on duty. Buying $20k+ of other ones for the rest of my Department. Against SF, Streamlight, and all the poser Chinese lights, like Olight, they WAY outperform them for throw. Expensive, but worth it. lBuy once, cry once.

Have heard the name modlite but wasn't too familiar with them. I spent some time looking on their site. It looks like the OKW head might work on a 2-cell standard surefire body? Like a Malkoff Bodyguard Body.

It says it's for a Dual Fuel DF 2-cell but I dont know if the threads are different. It says OKW can work either as 2-cell CR123 or rechargable.

User Tag List