Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sitka gear?

Sitka gear?

Hi all,

Would appreciate experiences/ opinions on Sitka (or other suggestions) for a new outer jacket for the upcoming duck season. In New England, we get into the low 30's and it can be damp.

I am looking at this: https://www.sitkagear.com/products/d...aterfowl-marsh

I wish Arcteryx made camo, as my absolute favorite jacket is a Beta AR. It appears that the Delta is similar in materials.

Thanks in advance for recommendations.

I have never owned/used Sitka gear, to my knowledge it is good stuff. I do own and use some of the cheaper Kuiu offerings and I have been happy with them so far, they may be worth a look but I don’t think they offer anything waterfowl specific. I use my for Fall/early winter hunting.

https://www.kuiu.com/learn/our-story/our-founder/

The link above is worth the read, it is about the founding of the company and will provide pertinent details on what they are all about. From the link you can use the menu to navigate to their products.

Sitka makes a wide line of outdoor clothing. High quality and priced like or higher than Arcteryx. Sold through retailers. Kuiu makes a narrower line of clothing, also high quality, focused on being lightweight, and is sold direct at 40-65 percent of Sitka pricing.

Arcteryx and Kuiu are my go to brands for outdoor clothing.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    The Meateater guys wear FirstLite gear which is where I first heard of it. It appears they own the company or are co-owned by the same company. Meateater, FirstLite, Wired to Hunt, Phelps Game Calls, and FishHuntFight.

I've picked up a couple of pieces so far and have been pleased enough that I'm looking to pickup a few more.

They do seem to be made offshore and I'm not certain where Kifaru, Sitka, Kuiu, and other fall in that regard. I haven't had an opportunity to try these other brands either.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Sitka makes a wide line of outdoor clothing. High quality and priced like or higher than Arcteryx. Sold through retailers. Kuiu makes a narrower line of clothing, also high quality, focused on being lightweight, and is sold direct at 40-65 percent of Sitka pricing.

Arcteryx and Kuiu are my go to brands for outdoor clothing.
    I add https://beyondclothing.com/ to that list as well.

I've also had good luck with several Kryptek pieces.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Site Supporter
    Have you ever thought about using a light weight camo smock for hunting and then wearing whatever layers you want under that?

I’ve been using an iirc bass pro 3d leaf suit (with mesh) over what ever warm or cool clothes I want when bow hunting. I know this might not work as well for guys covering a lot of ground out west or in AK, but ground blind hunting white tails or squirrels in Alabama it’s been a nice solution, and I don’t end up with a bunch of camo clothes I personally wouldn’t wear anytime except when I’m actively engaged in hunting.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Have you ever thought about using a light weight camo smock for hunting and then wearing whatever layers you want under that?
    Yes. I generally prefer outdoor gear in neutral solids, like greys and greens that can be worn anywhere - adding a smock or similar garment where needed.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

I've had a Sitka Jetstream jacket for four years or so, that I got in the late, lamented "Bargain Cave" at Cabela's. Uses included the firing range, hiking the woods, hunting the prairie, and every day fall and winter wear around town. It's a great blend of weight vs. durability. I've managed to snap a zipper pull, which I replaced with half-size 550 cord. All the seams and materials are of very tough construction and have held up well.

A fleece 1/4-zip undershirt of theirs that I bought already used from a local consignment rack has also been a great piece of gear. Once again, light but durable.

I would say that if you could seek out Sitka's stuff at less than retail prices, you would probably be happy with it.

Site Supporter
    GJM knows of what he speaks.

It break my heart that Arcteryx is now on the no go list for me because of their PRC based ownership.

I like the concept of the camo smock and using color neutral base layers. I have purchased a couple of things from Outdoor Research of late in lieu of Arcteryx.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

I've got a fair amount of Sitka stuff. Works as advertised, light, quiet, and tough (thus far), but expensive.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List