Thread: Aimpoint T1 versus T2 - Which Application For Each?

Aimpoint T1 versus T2 - Which Application For Each?

I have a few legacy T1s and I have a few newer T2s. I'm retooling my collection, and am wondering what makes the most sense to put on which.

I have ARs, Pump Shotguns, a 10/22, and plans to buy a Ruger Takedown PCC.

No magnifiers on any guns, not yet, at least. No plans to, but open to it. I have astigmatism and both the T1s and T2s look the same to me, which is a minor starbursting effect.

Which guns should get the T2 versus the T1, and why?

I'm leaning to ARs getting the T2s and non-ARs getting the T1s. With the assumption I may push the ARs out to 300 yards with the aimpoint but won't do that with a 12 ga or .22lr or 9mm.

Are you saying that the T1 is 4moa and the T2 is 2moa? Cause if they're both 2moa and the T1/2 look the same to your eyes, then what does it matter? Glass quality seems a bit better on my T2, so if that matters....

Laziness and ammo considerations would likely cause me to leave whatever is on and zeroed as they are. If they were all loose, and dot size was not a consideration, I would put the T2 on heavier recoiling things as I believe Aimpoint beefed the T2 up internally.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    I have a few legacy T1s and I have a few newer T2s. I'm retooling my collection, and am wondering what makes the most sense to put on which.

I have ARs, Pump Shotguns, a 10/22, and plans to buy a Ruger Takedown PCC.

No magnifiers on any guns, not yet, at least. No plans to, but open to it. I have astigmatism and both the T1s and T2s look the same to me, which is a minor starbursting effect.

Which guns should get the T2 versus the T1, and why?

I'm leaning to ARs getting the T2s and non-ARs getting the T1s. With the assumption I may push the ARs out to 300 yards with the aimpoint but won't do that with a 12 ga or .22lr or 9mm.
    Aimpoint has discontinued all of the -1 micros.

Anything you want to use with a magnifier should get a -2 because they are clearer glass and crisper dots. Anything used for actual "grab and go" defense should also get a -2 due to the clear lens covers.

Otherwise it doesn't really matter.

Are all your -1 optics 2 moa dots ? The original -1's were all 4 MOA dots and not marked with dot size. Those after the intoduction of the 2moa dot versions will be marked either 2 or 4 MOA. I would probably want 4 MOA on shotguns if available.

I went through this a couple of years ago as I had a few PCC’s, Shotguns, and AK’s without optics. Ultimately I moved my T1’s over to Non-AR platforms and upgraded to T2’s or LPVO’s on AR’s. Eric Dorenbush (Greeneye Tactical) also put out a study a while later demonstrating parallax in T1’s, while the T2 has significantly less parallax. I don’t know how much weight I put into the study, but figured my mostly 4 MOA T1’s were better suited on shorter range weapons.
    https://www.greeneyetactical.com/201...ight-parallax/
    ETA: Regarding 4MOA T1’s, I believe they are all pretty much discontinued. However, the TL Micro does become available sporadically and the Specs make it basically a T1 without NVG settings.
    Last edited by dcf1981; 07-27-2021 at 09:40 PM.

User Tag List