Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I think I’m old.

I don't even watch the sports I like (bicycle, moto, & auto-racing, etc), but I love watching the Olympics

I never thought skateboarding would make it as an exciting enough sport for the Olympics. I was right.

But today I found out I'm old. A woman that shot Steel Challenge with me last month called me today for advice on what .22 pistol to get. She phrased it as " You were the older guy in our squad right?" YIKES. Now I feel old.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    Wait until you quit having sex; then you will know you are old. It also adds a level of crankiness to when you yell at the kids to get off your lawn.
    Quit?! What the hell man?!

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    OTOH, the women's cycling road race was fantastic. Austrian Anna Kiesenhofer, the only rider from her country, attacked from the gun and never looked back. She was part of a five-woman breakaway and she dropped the other four 41 km from the finish and soloed for the win. The Dutch dominate women's pro road racing; they had four women in the race and thought they had the race in the bag when they caught the four women Kiesenhofer had dropped. The team leader crossed the finish line with her arms raised, not knowing that Kiesenhofer was probably sipping on her beer by then.

Kiesenhofer was on nobody's radar for a win. Here's an article if you're interested.
    I love biking, but the sport's history is so tainted by PEDs that any time someone wins a race, I can't help but scoff and assume they were doping and just had a doctor in their pocket who has the current secret sauce in terms of masking agents. I used to love watching the Tour de France, but I don't even half assed pay attention to it anymore, and given that it's essentially the same field of athletes in the Olympic road race, I feel essentially the same way about it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    I love biking, but the sport's history is so tainted by PEDs that any time someone wins a race, I can't help but scoff and assume they were doping and just had a doctor in their pocket who has the current secret sauce in terms of masking agents. I used to love watching the Tour de France, but I don't even half assed pay attention to it anymore, and given that it's essentially the same field of athletes in the Olympic road race, I feel essentially the same way about it.
    Most of the folks at the Trek dealer bike shop I worked at in 2005 told me I was crazy when I said ’ol Lance Armstrong was a a lying liar after watching some tv interviews with him.....but, if there’s one thing a lot of Olympic Sports have in common it’s secret doping programs.

Now days cyclists who have been caught with tiny electric motors in their hubs. But, when you look back at the history of the TDF cheating has always been an integral part of the race, and cycling in general, for better or worse.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbn...r-gang-attacks
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 07-26-2021 at 11:16 PM.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    OTOH, the women's cycling road race was fantastic. Austrian Anna Kiesenhofer, the only rider from her country, attacked from the gun and never looked back. She was part of a five-woman breakaway and she dropped the other four 41 km from the finish and soloed for the win. The Dutch dominate women's pro road racing; they had four women in the race and thought they had the race in the bag when they caught the four women Kiesenhofer had dropped. The team leader crossed the finish line with her arms raised, not knowing that Kiesenhofer was probably sipping on her beer by then.

Kiesenhofer was on nobody's radar for a win. Here's an article if you're interested.
    That was really quite a race. It was like something done by Hollywood. Breaking Away/Hoosiers/1989 Tour De France level of upset.

The best way to watch the Olympics is to get NBC's feed, or perhaps some other feed, which doesn't have a bunch of nonsense "story telling." You just pick the events you want to watch.

https://www.nbcsports.com/

The mountain bike cross country course is pretty intense, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    You're getting there, but you're not old. Old is when you think about them walking away from spills that would send you to an orthopedic surgeon.
    Fucking A. I'm not even "old" but this particular statement rings true. When I was 15 I could took tumble after tumble with nary a bruise. 20-years later I watch someone else eat it on pavement and I wake up sore the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    Wait until you quit having sex; then you will know you are old. It also adds a level of crankiness to when you yell at the kids to get off your lawn.
    Fortunately, in addition to waking up sore after watching someone else crash a skateboard, I still wake up "stiff" in the morning. But for some reason Instagram keeps sending me ads for ED. Just trying to get a proactive start?

My kids are into competitive swimming, so I've been watching the swimming events. Damn those guys and girls are fucking fast (and huge!).

Skateboarding was boring. I like the snowboarders at lot better.

I'm kind of curious about the 25M rapid fire pistol competition.

Course of fire:
    Target is 25 meters away. There are 5 targets side by side (75 cm between each bullseyes). You have to shot one shot per target. The 10 ring is 10 cm in diameter. You shoot SHO from a ready position with a 22LR pistol.
    String 1: 5 shots in 8 seconds for 2 runs.
    String 2: 5 shots in 6 seconds for 2 runs.
    String 3: 5 shots in 4 seconds for 2 runs.
    Repeat Strings 1-3 again for a total round count of 60.

Max points is 600. The world record is 593 (holy shit!) done by the same German guy who won Gold in Brazil (Christian Reitz).

I need my scoped 10/22 to even get close.
    Last edited by Paul D; 07-27-2021 at 12:40 AM.

Honestly, letting in pro athletes is a huge mistake.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    My kids are into competitive swimming, so I've been watching the swimming events. Damn those guys and girls are fucking fast (and huge!).

Skateboarding was boring. I like the snowboarders at lot better.

I'm kind of curious about the 25M rapid fire pistol competition.

Course of fire:
    Target is 25 meters away. There are 5 targets side by side (75 cm between each bullseyes). You have to shot one shot per target. The 10 ring is 10 cm in diameter. You shoot SHO from a ready position with a 22LR pistol.
    String 1: 5 shots in 8 seconds for 2 runs.
    String 2: 5 shots in 6 seconds for 2 runs.
    String 3: 5 shots in 4 seconds for 2 runs.
    Repeat Strings 1-3 again for a total round count of 60.

Max points is 600. The world record is 593 (holy shit!) done by the same German guy who won Gold in Brazil (Christian Reitz).

I need my scoped 10/22 to even get close.
    Unless the rules have changed, the caliber used is .22 Short. And the pistols wear comps.

User Tag List