Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: USP Compact Surprise

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post

I have done the detail strip on USPs several times now, and I don't find it to be challenging. A little fiddly, but not a big deal once you get your head around it and figure out what tools to use for what. It's basically a puzzle that has to be assembled in the correct order, which is not obvious until you've gone through the process a few times and can remember it. But IMO, the complexity of it as discussed on the web is overblown.
    Totally agreed. I am a hack and it isn't that hard. I would say harder than a Glock (what isn't?) easier than a B92.

None the less, I wanted to like the USPc, but really could not stand the ergonomics. The Decocker/Safety position sucks compared to a P30. LEM is absolutely the way to go for this pistol. Didn't care for the grip, and the tallish Sig type slide.

Comments from my notes on the gun: "I shoot it so badly: rarely have I disliked a gun this much, or felt so incompetent with one." Hahaha. I feel hypocritical, like one of those "I can't shoot Glocks" people now.

Otherwise of course it was accurate, light recoiling, and very reliable. 100% all the issues were with me.

I have a USP45 full-size pistol. I really don't like the grip size as much as other pistols. My default pistol "feel" is the S&W M&P 2.0 45acp....it just feels great size wise and texture. I wish it still had the beavertail of my 1.0. For me, the beavertail helps anchor the pistol in my hand, a la 1911. I miss it in the 2.0.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    I was shocked when I shot a 229 in 40. It felt like a 9mm. If I had to shoot 40 that’s probably what I would get.
    I loved my non-railed P229 .40 cal. Such a soft shooter and the vertical bar/dot sight combo was super fast for me and the pistol was scary accurate. I ditched it when I realized it was such a PITA to civilian carry here in Florida. Shame, I wish I had just left it in the bottom of the safe.

Like the USP, the P229 was originally designed from the ground up for the .40 cartridge (as well as .357 SIG). It’s little wonder they handle it well.

Quote Originally Posted by fpnunes View Post
    I loved my non-railed P229 .40 cal. Such a soft shooter and the vertical bar/dot sight combo was super fast for me and the pistol was scary accurate. I ditched it when I realized it was such a PITA to civilian carry here in Florida. Shame, I wish I had just left it in the bottom of the safe.
    I know what you mean about Florida carry, never could have understood until I started doing it myself coming from MI. It's like a whole other world between the two, makes me not want to carry full size pistols ever again. Open carry no problem, but yeah IWB full size or compact... hell even subcompact sucks. Single Stack .... we need that new H&K.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    Would it be inaccurate to say that, if one wanted or had to have a carry gun in 40s&w, the USP Compact is probably THE one to have or at least in the top 3?
    Outside of niche guns, I’d say the top 3 duty style .40s in no particular order would be the P229, the USP Compact, and ???

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Outside of niche guns, I’d say the top 3 duty style .40s in no particular order would be the P229, the USP Compact, and ???
    my and wold be...Glock 23.5, I remain very impressed with this gen 5's ability to handle the cartridge so much better than the gen 1-4

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I would say VP40 (possibly G22 Gen 5) or PX4 Full Size depending on striker/hammer preferences.

All of those should be both very robust at handling the cartridge and the recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    my and wold be...Glock 23.5, I remain very impressed with this gen 5's ability to handle the cartridge so much better than the gen 1-4
    I remember when the GAPs came out and I understood the logic why the slide was thicker. I thought, they should make the .40s slide thicker as well. I’m betting the Glock .40 in the Gen 5 config is a vast improvement, but I’ve yet to handle, let alone shoot one.

Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    I would say VP40 (possibly G22 Gen 5) or PX4 Full Size depending on striker/hammer preferences.

All of those should be both very robust at handling the cartridge and the recoil.
    I’d certainly consider the PX4 as a robust and good shooting .40. I’m just not sure at this point in time if it’s not in the niche category.

User Tag List