Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Czech Republic Approves Constitutional Right to Own Weapons for Self Defense

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    No shit? My family lived in LaGrange for a few years. I went to Cossitt El and LTHS.
    *Small World Alert*

You might recognize some of those names?
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Hot wimmins and a right to self defense.

The Czech Republic deserves some of my vacation dollars.
    My kids and I planned what was to be a surprise trip to Napa for my wife’s 60th last August. Of course we had to cancel due to COVID. My 60th is coming up next spring so I suggested we reboot for that, except I’d prefer either France (must strike quickly before I get too mad at them again) or Czech Republic.

The decision becomes easier.

Just out of curiosity...what's the story on American tourists bringing handguns into the Czech Republic, and legally carrying there?

Quote Originally Posted by Mas View Post
    Just out of curiosity...what's the story on American tourists bringing handguns into the Czech Republic, and legally carrying there?
    The law (off the Czech Embassy website):
    https://www.mzv.cz/jnp/cz/o_minister...ossession.html

The process (off the Czech Chicago CG website):
    https://www.mzv.cz/chicago/en/consul...formation.html

From what I can tell, you'll need to have a resident status to get a class-E (CCW) license. Foreign tourists only appear to be able to get A, B and C licenses (sporting).

You'll also need to be fluent in Czech, as you have to pass a bunch of exams, written and practical, in addition to get a doctor signing off on your good health. While ownership of firearms is a constitutional right in the Czech Republic, I haven't seen anything that actually changes the regulation of firearms. It's not a libertarian paradise where anyone can "constitutional carry" an unregistered 80% build as we understand it in the US, and you're also subject to search without any of the constitutional protections we have in the US, such as a standard of RAS or PC.

CCW permits are still fairly rare in the Czech Republic. Only 250k out of 10+ million citizens.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Fantastic news.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    *Small World Alert*

You might recognize some of those names?
    Not really. I was a kid. And with three siblings, eating out as a family was a rare occurrence. Usually it seemed to be paired with a museum trip. There was some place in Chicago that we (the kids) loved because they had peanuts and we got to drop the shells on the floor.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

From what I can tell, you'll need to have a resident status to get a class-E (CCW) license. Foreign tourists only appear to be able to get A, B and C licenses (sporting).

You'll also need to be fluent in Czech, as you have to pass a bunch of exams, written and practical, in addition to get a doctor signing off on your good health. While ownership of firearms is a constitutional right in the Czech Republic, I haven't seen anything that actually changes the regulation of firearms. It's not a libertarian paradise where anyone can "constitutional carry" an unregistered 80% build as we understand it in the US, and you're also subject to search without any of the constitutional protections we have in the US, such as a standard of RAS or PC.

CCW permits are still fairly rare in the Czech Republic. Only 250k out of 10+ million citizens.
    Thanks, TGS!

250K out of 10+ million strikes me as better than NYC, and in NYC there’s not even a Czech fluency requirement.

I hope Cuomo doesn’t lurk here. “Czech fluency for a CCW permit? Yeah, that’s the ticket.”

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Not really. I was a kid. And with three siblings, eating out as a family was a rare occurrence. Usually it seemed to be paired with a museum trip. There was some place in Chicago that we (the kids) loved because they had peanuts and we got to drop the shells on the floor.
    The “Come Back Inn” in Melrose Park maybe? Do you remember a big stuffed bear at the place?

How about the farm stand at the corner of 31st and Wolf? Right next to the model airplane field.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Site Supporter
    How much of that is due to the difficulty to acquire and how much of that is cultural aversion or lack of desire?

Few, if any, of the Europeans I know (and virtually none of the Brits) would run out and get a CCW if they were suddenly able to do so. It's simply not in their make up. The Czech numbers may reflect a cultural issue more than a legal one.

Chris

User Tag List