Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: California's drought and water theft

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Hands View Post
    What about the amount or pollution and degradation to the environment afterwards, [B]why do the environmentalist give this industry a pass?

/old man rant
    Probably because they are using the product and thinking the growers should just "chill out man".
    I thought California was making tax revenue on this product and the growers were charging. Well use those funds (and up the prices) and build a desalination plant. (seems like the apt smiley, covering its eyes)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    Probably because they are using the product and thinking the growers should just "chill out man".
    I thought California was making tax revenue on this product and the growers were charging. Well use those funds (and up the prices) and build a desalination plant. (seems like the apt smiley, covering its eyes)
    California did the California thing, and they tax legal growers so heavily and ignorantly that it's very difficult for them to compete with illegal grow ops.
    So there's tons of illegal grow ops and comparatively very few 100% legal outfits.

And as more sane people leave, the state will just get more stupid.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Water security is a long-term challenge throughout most of the western US. Even the mighty Ogallala aquifer is declining. We'll need to make significant investments in capture and recharge projects or face real crisis in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    California did the California thing, and they tax legal growers so heavily and ignorantly that it's very difficult for them to compete with illegal grow ops.
    So there's tons of illegal grow ops and comparatively very few 100% legal outfits.
    Yep, The state completed fucked up the de-criminalization process. I know a number of folks who are regulators for legal cannabis grows. The state legalized the crop, thinking there was going to be a massive influx of tax dollars into state coffers. But the regulatory environment is so onerous that very few growers get the requisite permits. Those that do are usually deep-pocket firms that can afford the consulting fees to jump through the regulatory hurdles. The small mom and pop growers often lack the regulatory sophistication and financial resources to get legal.

To make matters worse, the state made illegal commercial cultivation of cannabis a misdemeanor (it was formerly a felony). This has further incentivized illegal growers.

Naturally, the expected windfall of tax and permit fees never really happened, at least on the state level. At the local level, cities can rake in big money in licensing "dispensaries". Dispensaries are basically boutiques for smokable and edible cannabis products, and are highly profitable. Most cities only approve a small handful of them, and unsurprisingly, there seems to be a lot of backroom deals and border-line corruption associated with the process.

And let's not forget the organized crime connection - a lot of the big illegal grows have connections to Mexican cartels, who import growers and chemicals from south of the border to grow massive crops on publics lands, at huge environmental costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Hands View Post
    What about the amount or pollution and degradation to the environment afterwards, why do the environmentalist give this industry a pass?
    Good question. I think it's more fashionable to virtue signal about climate change, solar panels, electric cars, and the evils of the oil industry.

For those with further interest in the environmental damage of illegal Cannabis cultivation, and the risks that California Game Wardens have to deal with, here's an excellent podcast https://www.themeateater.com/listen/...he-weed-warden
    Last edited by Mark D; 07-25-2021 at 12:08 AM.

The show that SH mentions, Murder Mountain, seems to be a good window into the industry and they talk to several folks that are supposedly trying to transition from illegal to legal grower. The show is ostensibly about one particular kid that turned up dead but there’s a lot more that you see in the interviews, etc. as they set up the story.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

John Nores has some interesting history here. Former California Department of Fish and Wildlife Marijuana Enforcement Team:

I grew up in California in the 1970s, and some of these problems were around then. I remember reading stories of illegal MJ farms hidden in the mountains, and what happened to people who innocently strayed into them. Made me a little concerned when I was hiking around the back country. In the 1970s we had some serious droughts. I think it was the summer of '77 when the water restrictions were pretty severe. We left in '91, and they were threatening another round of severe restrictions around that time. But California has been stealing water for a long time, while continuing to grow, so even back then I didn't see how this was going to work out in a good way.

Cali just has a lot of challenges. Probably why so many people are moving away. One of my neighbors is retired from the CA penal system. He moved away to avoid the state income taxes on his retirement. WA has no state income tax. When I tell people who don't live here that fact they're usually surprised. We have a very high sales tax but that allows a person to decide if they want to pay it or not for big ticket items.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Cali just has a lot of challenges. Probably why so many people are moving away. One of my neighbors is retired from the CA penal system. He moved away to avoid the state income taxes on his retirement. WA has no state income tax. When I tell people who don't live here that fact they're usually surprised. We have a very high sales tax but that allows a person to decide if they want to pay it or not for big ticket items.
    Every time someone in Florida complains about the tourist industry, I ask if they like having no state income tax. If so, thank a tourist.

That said, it’s be great if we could fence the tourists in…

It would also be great if, when they decide to become permanent, or even semi-permanent, they’d keep their opinions to themselves regarding how the state is run. You already destroyed wherever you’re from with your stupid ideas. If it was so great there you’re welcome to go back. That plane that brought you heat goes both ways.

As various levels of people I CA get sick of the shit they’ve created, or tolerated, it’ll be interesting to see that infection spread.

The problem with these people is they think they are so correct in how things should be that (a) they seem to have missed how bad they screwed up and (b) they can’t seem to help themselves meddling and (c) the rest of us, prior to being invaded, just want to leave be and be left be.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Every time someone in Florida complains about the tourist industry, I ask if they like having no state income tax. If so, thank a tourist.

That said, it’s be great if we could fence the tourists in…

It would also be great if, when they decide to become permanent, or even semi-permanent, they’d keep their opinions to themselves regarding how the state is run. You already destroyed wherever you’re from with your stupid ideas. If it was so great there you’re welcome to go back. That plane that brought you heat goes both ways.

As various levels of people I CA get sick of the shit they’ve created, or tolerated, it’ll be interesting to see that infection spread.

The problem with these people is they think they are so correct in how things should be that (a) they seem to have missed how bad they screwed up and (b) they can’t seem to help themselves meddling and (c) the rest of us, prior to being invaded, just want to leave be and be left be.
    I hear that. Lots of people complain about WA but if it's so GD bad why are so many people moving here. I'm sure FL is the same way. I can't even find a house to buy under 600K built in the last 25 years. I'm not looking in the metro tri county areas either.
    Last edited by Borderland; 07-25-2021 at 08:45 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List