Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found a Ruger 1789 (Wiley Clapp II)

Found a Ruger 1789 (Wiley Clapp II)

Surprisingly enough, I actually found not only a GP100 but a Wiley Clapp semi locally. I got to put my grubby little hands on it and surprisingly I can reach the trigger. The DA pull was reasonably light and fairly smooth. The SA pull was exquisite. No creep and extremely light.

I was in love. I was already moving to whip out the wallet...

Then I saw the price. $1,114.08. OUCH. I assume that is before tax (9.75%)and bg check ($10) but was so shocked I did think to ask. Since the response to my reaction was "They are hard to get", I assume it wasn't the OTD price or it would have been mentioned.

Is that typical for a Talo WC? (That is actually the first GP100 I have ever seen in person)😮

Are they worth it?

I can’t answer the “worth it” part, but IIRC ~$1000-$1100 about the going rate when I see one on GB or Guns International.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I snagged the six round, 3” barrel version a couple of weeks ago for $800.00. It took me about 18 months, but patience paid off.

It’s good to go out of the box, but I’ll drop it off with my ‘smith for a trigger job, hammer bob, and replace the fiber optic front sight with a gold bead.
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

Site Supporter
    Sometimes, you have to pay to play.

Quote Originally Posted by MolonLabe416 View Post
    I snagged the six round, 3” barrel version a couple of weeks ago for $800.00. It took me about 18 months, but patience paid off.

It’s good to go out of the box, but I’ll drop it off with my ‘smith for a trigger job, hammer bob, and replace the fiber optic front sight with a gold bead.
    Nice.

If the the one I handled today and been that price, I would be posting pictures. 😁

$1,125 on the other hand. That's almost two G19 Gen 5s OTD.

Or one 3 boxes of 9mms.😅

That’s a lot of dough. On the other hand, it isn’t 2014 any more.

Still. You can get a lot of used revolver for that kind of dough.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

It's quite a bit of money and...

If you start doing the math on sending any other revolver to a smith, and having them install dovetailed night sights, it's not that expensive. What you are really buying is a set of revolver-centric Novak sights with a 3" GP100 attached.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    It's quite a bit of money and...

If you start doing the math on sending any other revolver to a smith, and having them install dovetailed night sights, it's not that expensive. What you are really buying is a set of revolver-centric Novak sights with a 3" GP100 attached.
    That is a GREAT way to think about it.

Much appreciated!

Here is another way to think about it. The best price I have seen for a similar GP100 was on this forum. It was for a 1774 (2.5" .357) with the adjustable rear sight, extra sets of grips, holster, and speed loaders. It was $850 plus shipping. Then add the cost of a Bowen rear sight ($110 plus shipping) if there is no desire to weld and cut a new rear dovetail. So the total is $960 if you have the roll pin punch to swap the rear sight. And the front sight is a fiber optic, not a tritium front sight with an orange surround. So a new front sight is $100. So now the total is $1070 without shipping and FFL fees, which offsets the sales tax. Suddenly the WC II looks pretty fairly priced.

It looks like a really good deal when looking at what the online dealers are asking for non-WC snub GP100 examples. The last one I saw had a price tag of $920 on it. The WC II pricing looks decent in this market. I am sure if one waits, the prices will drop. It is just a matter of waiting and searching.

I paid $750 each for mine when they were first Introduced. Prices right now suck for everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

User Tag List