Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Colt King Cobra End Shake

New Colt King Cobra End Shake

I just purchased a new King Cobra 3" yesterday. Really nice revolver. I love the looks, size, feel and trigger. I will shoot it this weekend.

Fit & finish is excellent ... except ... there is a wee bit of end shake. No, I have no measured it but I will dig out my feeler gauges and do that tonight.

My question is: Is there an acceptable amount of end shake in a brand new revolver?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    I just purchased a new King Cobra 3" yesterday. Really nice revolver. I love the looks, size, feel and trigger. I will shoot it this weekend.

Fit & finish is excellent ... except ... there is a wee bit of end shake. No, I have no measured it but I will dig out my feeler gauges and do that tonight.

My question is: Is there an acceptable amount of end shake in a brand new revolver?
    There's nothing wrong with the very small amount of movement that you describe. It sounds like about.001 or slightly less from your description. You have less risk of binding with this amount. Enjoy your revolver!

I used to have an old school Python and it had a little end shake. I never bothered to measure it.

Measure with sized, empty brass in the chambers. Up to 0.002 is then OK, but not more.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Measure with sized, empty brass in the chambers. Up to 0.002 is then OK, but not more.
    I measured it empty last night and it was .003. I will try with sized, empty brass in the chambers tonight. Thanks!

Site Supporter
    If Colt is like some other places, and if you send it back to the factory, you may get one back with even more end shake. You might have another person measure. Sometimes specs change. Reasons vary. I have owned a large number of revolvers, and most were made decades ago. I know a fair amount about Colts and Smiths. Give me a feeler gauge and micrometer, and I can find something wrong with most of them. Is your revolver timed properly? Does it spit gas and lead particles when shooting it? Is the action smooth? Can it be sighted in without adjusting the rear sight to an extreme position? Is it accurate? From what you have said, I would concern myself with these questions.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    If Colt is like some other places, and if you send it back to the factory, you may get one back with even more end shake. You might have another person measure. Sometimes specs change. Reasons vary. I have owned a large number of revolvers, and most were made decades ago. I know a fair amount about Colts and Smiths. Give me a feeler gauge and micrometer, and I can find something wrong with most of them. Is your revolver timed properly? Does it spit gas and lead particles when shooting it? Is the action smooth? Can it be sighted in without adjusting the rear sight to an extreme position? Is it accurate? From what you have said, I would concern myself with these questions.
    I measured again last night with sized brass and it was the same. Looking at it a little closer, it seems the cylinder moves all the way forward and touches the forcing cone.

That said, so far it seems to operate just fine. I shot it this weekend and didn't notice any issues. I'll shoot it some more and see what happens.

Site Supporter
    ^ My comment was not stated clearly. I had intended to say that you don't have an end shake problem, and if it shoots ok, then everything is fine. I listed questions that apply to all revolvers. My opinion is that you have a strong modern revolver made with the latest metallurgy advances. I wish that I had one. Despite the nostalgia for the older Colt products, your gun is stronger and made with much closer tolerances. Enjoy owning and shooting it.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    ^ My comment was not stated clearly. I had intended to say that you don't have an end shake problem, and if it shoots ok, then everything is fine. I listed questions that apply to all revolvers. My opinion is that you have a strong modern revolver made with the latest metallurgy advances. I wish that I had one. Despite the nostalgia for the older Colt products, your gun is stronger and made with much closer tolerances. Enjoy owning and shooting it.
    I will! Thanks for your advise. So far, I am having no problems and it shoots just fine. I'll keep on shooting it. I ordered leather for it!

Are we sure that the allowable endshake for the current production Colt revolvers is the same as what was allowable for the older ones?
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List