Thread: Cargo shorts with narrow belt loops?

Cargo shorts with narrow belt loops?

For years in California (mild climate) I wore jeans for matches and practice. Never had a problem keeping my outer velcro belt in place. Now in Idaho I've had to break out my 511 and True-Spec cargo shorts. Nothing wrong with this gear, but the combination of wide belt loops, the width of my holster hanger leaves very little room for the outer belt velcro to get much of a puchase. Wouldn't be a problem in USPSA, but in Steel Challenge, especially in practice, I'd have to be resetting the outer belt every 5 minutes.

I can attach a BladeTech TekLok to my Kore Essentials belt and that would work fine if I could get about 1/2" of offset from the belt for a bit more thumb clearance.

Any suggestions?

Site Supporter
    I like the LL Beans Cresta Hiking Shorts or Cresta Mountain shirts. I prefer the Mountains because of their Jean-style front pockets. But note they are light weight with only one low profile cargo pocket.

https://m.llbean.com/llb/shop/120618...3&csp=a&pos=14

I bought a few of these, and there decent (and relatively cheap). The cargo pocket zipper pull is annoying noisy, but Younger Offspring figured out that we could just tuck it into the pocket itself; problem solved.

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-39...0Khaki&prdPV=5
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    For years in California (mild climate) I wore jeans for matches and practice. Never had a problem keeping my outer velcro belt in place. Now in Idaho I've had to break out my 511 and True-Spec cargo shorts. Nothing wrong with this gear, but the combination of wide belt loops, the width of my holster hanger leaves very little room for the outer belt velcro to get much of a puchase. Wouldn't be a problem in USPSA, but in Steel Challenge, especially in practice, I'd have to be resetting the outer belt every 5 minutes.

I can attach a BladeTech TekLok to my Kore Essentials belt and that would work fine if I could get about 1/2" of offset from the belt for a bit more thumb clearance.

Any suggestions?
    I also put Velcro on the inside of my BOSS hangar and mag pouches and that seems to help. Dominate outer belt with the ratchet also helps keep everything snug and secure.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I like the Wrangler cargo shorts from Walmart because they use the thin/rip stop material and have small loops.

The Goodfellow cargo shorts from Target have really small loops, also cotton/rip stop.
    Last edited by SecondsCount; 07-23-2021 at 10:48 AM.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I wear Carhartt B357 cotton ripstop cargo shorts most of the year. I don't know if they have the narrow belt loops you're looking for, just posting this for you to look into them if you're interested. The only downside is they come in only four colors - OD green, khaki, black and coffee.

User Tag List