Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Zastava M90 thoughts and videos

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Middle Georiga

    Zastava M90 thoughts and videos

    Hey guys,

    I bought a new Zastava M90 a week or so ago and I have been making some videos to document my playing around with it. It started out with noticing that the polymer mags were wildly ill-fitted to the gun. There is AK mag wobble, and then there is AK mag wobble. This was straight-up mag flop. Anyway, Zastava recommended the steel mags and they were right. There wasn't anything wrong with the rifle, but the poly mags were wildly undersized. Anyway, here are a few videos. I have now fired the first 100 break-in rounds. I have a rail system coming and I am going to see what kind of groups I can squeeze out of it at 100 yards. I couldn't do better than 3-4 MOA with irons but let me be honest, my eyes are dog poo. I am basically minute of pie plate at 100 yards on a good day without optical assistance. Drawbacks of not dying young I guess. Anyway, here is some silliness for you...


    This is basically me playing around and burning through some crappy Tula-ammo to break-in.



    Here is my video comparing the Zastava to a Saiga (Arsenal Legion) and ....a Sig 550.
    Last edited by Greg Bell; 07-21-2021 at 11:29 PM.

  2. #2
    Site Supporter Hizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Texas
    From everyone in the community Iíve spoken with about Zastava Iíve gotten the impression they havenít improved much from all the bad heat treat and wildly out of spec guns.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

  3. #3
    Just Sayin'
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    ABQ, NM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    From everyone in the community Iíve spoken with about Zastava Iíve gotten the impression they havenít improved much from all the bad heat treat and wildly out of spec guns.
    Which is a shame, because when they do get it right, it's a pretty damn decent AK. Especially back in the ~$400 AK era from whence my problem-free M92 and OPAP came. Sample size of two vs thousands of course, but judging by my round counts through both, I'm one of the lucky ones.

    I've always been interested in the M90, I'm looking forward to seeing your full results, Greg!

    Somewhat OT - I'm genuinely impressed by people that can make a 'range trip' out of 100 rounds. I have very poor self control on ammo consumption, and I think my shortest range trip ever was ~220 rounds or so.
    Don't beg the question when the answer is war

  4. #4
    Site Supporter Hizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Which is a shame, because when they do get it right, it's a pretty damn decent AK. Especially back in the ~$400 AK era from whence my problem-free M92 and OPAP came. Sample size of two vs thousands of course, but judging by my round counts through both, I'm one of the lucky ones.

    I've always been interested in the M90, I'm looking forward to seeing your full results, Greg!

    Somewhat OT - I'm genuinely impressed by people that can make a 'range trip' out of 100 rounds. I have very poor self control on ammo consumption, and I think my shortest range trip ever was ~220 rounds or so.
    The M92 and PAPs (including the OPAPís) were are plagued with issues. There were several builders that straight refused to SBR the M92 because the receivers were so soft.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

  5. #5
    Just Sayin'
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    ABQ, NM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    The M92 and PAPs (including the OPAPís) were are plagued with issues. There were several builders that straight refused to SBR the M92 because the receivers were so soft.
    Keenly aware, and can confirm egging of FCG holes and other issues on other examples with far lower round counts than mine. I'm just one of the lucky ones, it seems.
    It sucks because if not for that tendency with receiver hardening, they'd be pretty good AK's.
    Don't beg the question when the answer is war

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Middle Georiga
    My range is on my property. If I blasted that much every time I took out a rifle I would need to be a billionaire at todayís prices. Iím limiting myself to 150 handgun and 100 rifle per week.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post

    Somewhat OT - I'm genuinely impressed by people that can make a 'range trip' out of 100 rounds. I have very poor self control on ammo consumption, and I think my shortest range trip ever was ~220 rounds or so.

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •