Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AR15 A2 options?

AR15 A2/A4 options?

I've been asked my opinion on a 20" Windham AR and am not sure how to answer the question. I know they are former Bushmaster but didn't know if quality has improved.
    Last edited by SecondsCount; 07-13-2021 at 07:14 AM.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    Can only speak on the handful that I've handled or fired over the years. Fit and finish seemed fine, I didn't see any weird cheap AR assembly problems. The ones I fired all shot well and didn't have any weird issues except one 16in carbine that seemed overgassed on 5.56 but that's most commercial AR's these days.
    But in a weird way WW rifles all felt like looking back into the 90's especially with some of their configurations. Windham still makes 1/9 barrels and other very 90's stuff like that.

Most seem to have 4150 chrome lined barrels and claim to meet 11595E mil spec. Not CHF like a DD, BCM, Colt or FN barrel, but probably better than cheapo AR stuff by a decent margin.

I'd say it'll all depend on what your friend/askhole really wants from a 20in A2 clone. If he wants to pick it up and feel the vibes of old military service and take it plinking and maybe whack some rabbits and coyotes with it, it'll likely be just fine.

If he wants a 100% mil-spec anal retentive perfect clone of an A2 or A4, or wants a super-accurate prairie dogging AR, it's not likely to be what he's looking for.

Edit: looks like all Windham offers is an A4 clone. The difference is the carry handle. A2's are fixed, A4's are detachable with a M1913 flattop receiver. I'm sure you and most other P-F'ers know that but it's turning into a peeve of mine to see folks refer to A4 clones as A2's.
    Last edited by JRB; 07-13-2021 at 10:56 AM.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    From what I can see, they're not really all that cheap (price-wise). But if you simply must have a 20" A2, there's not a whole lot of options out there.

I've abandoned trying to proselytize people into more expensive "better" weapons. The fact is, if someone wants this specific rifle it is likely more than adequate for anything they intend to use it for.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I've been asked my opinion on a 20" Windham AR and am not sure how to answer the question. I know they are former Bushmaster but didn't know if quality has improved.
    Windham has continued where Bushmaster of ME left off. They use mostly decent parts and QC is inconsistent. Some are GTG some have assembly issues. They also have issues with 5.56 marked guns not having true 5.56 chambers and needing reamers. All annoyances that can be fixed but should not have to be.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I'm hardly an SME, in fact verging on out of my lane, but from the research I have done, I kinda like the WOA uppers with fancied up sights for an A2 style build. It's how I'd go if I went down that path.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Windham has continued where Bushmaster of ME left off. They use mostly decent parts and QC is inconsistent. Some are GTG some have assembly issues. They also have issues with 5.56 marked guns not having true 5.56 chambers and needing reamers. All annoyances that can be fixed but should not have to be.

So the same as the old Bushmaster?

Site Supporter
    I'm getting ~2010 M4C vibes.

Quote Originally Posted by RancidSumo View Post
    I'm getting ~2010 M4C vibes.
    We're not quite there. No one has yelled at him to buy a 6920 and take a carbine class yet.

If I were him I'd look for a used Colt.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    We're not quite there. No one has yelled at him to buy a 6920 and take a carbine class yet.
    Let's not forget the Glock 19 for the whole package.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List