Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Zeleny v. Bonta: a Small Win for Gun Rights

Quote Originally Posted by zeleny View Post
    Long story short, unloaded open and concealed carry is about to become legal again in California, upon receipt of a “shall issue” Entertainment Firearms Permit, preferably accompanied by “shall issue” film or entertainment event permits.
    If BBI is correct below:

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    So you can pay about $100 to get that one year permit (then cheaper to renew annually), then if required get a filming permit for the location, and then carry an empty weapon while you film it when/where your permit is for?
    Then this is mainly about the ability to protest while ostensibly filming? Even if you have permits and a camera and can carry in daily like, I'm unclear on the benefit of having an unloaded pistol. Can you carry a loaded magazine while filming?
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Nevermind, my snark is running at a high rate of speed today....
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

California law exempts authorized participants in film or video productions and entertainment events from its bans on open and concealed carry of firearms. Supreme Court precedents deny the state the authority to restrict speech based on its material trappings and degree of professionalism. Strap on your smartphone set to record video, and you are good to go.
    Other than Menlo Park having to revise the permitting process, I do not understand how this is a win for carry of weapons, open or concealed. If a permit issued for an entertainment production allows one to carry a weapon, the state can revise the requirements governing how permits are issued. Since everyone now has a camera on their person and the permit is "shall issue", there would be no way for the state to restrict the carrying of weapons unless the definition of what is required to satisfy the entertainment exemption is changed. And the decision clearly stated the state has a valid and compelling interest in regulating the carry of weapons, open or concealed. As such, the legislature could update the entertainment requirements as the intent of that exemption was not to allow a cell phone being carried by an individual to act as a justification for carrying a weapon.

Site Supporter
    Mt Olympus, Los Angeles, CA, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Other than Menlo Park having to revise the permitting process, I do not understand how this is a win for carry of weapons, open or concealed. If a permit issued for an entertainment production allows one to carry a weapon, the state can revise the requirements governing how permits are issued. Since everyone now has a camera on their person and the permit is "shall issue", there would be no way for the state to restrict the carrying of weapons unless the definition of what is required to satisfy the entertainment exemption is changed. And the decision clearly stated the state has a valid and compelling interest in regulating the carry of weapons, open or concealed. As such, the legislature could update the entertainment requirements as the intent of that exemption was not to allow a cell phone being carried by an individual to act as a justification for carrying a weapon.
    Menlo Park also has to pay my attorneys’ fees and costs, which will act as a deterrent to further local yokel shenanigans. As to the legislature updating the relevant firearms carry exemption requirements, generally speaking, non-commercial photography and videography requires no permits whatsoever, and moreover, permit issuance may depend only on time, place, and manner restrictions clearly defined in advance, because the First Amendment. Consequently, if the content of your speech involves openly carried firearms, you have the right to carry firearms openly in its course.

On a historical note, California’s 2012 and 2013 bans of open carry were enacted to squelch organized protests. This ruling allows such protests to resume.
    Michael@massmeans.com | Zeleny@post.harvard.edu | westcoastguns@gmail.com | larvatus prodeo @ livejournal | +1-323-363-1860 | “If at first you don’t succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.” — Curly Howard, 1936 | “All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.” — Samuel Beckett, 1984

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Can you carry a loaded magazine while filming?
    The controlling law is People v. Clark (1996) 45 Cal.App.4th 1147 , 53 Cal.Rptr.2d 99, holding that in order to be “loaded” a firearm must have ammunition “placed into a position from which it can be fired”. Loaded magazines are legal to carry just about anywhere, outside of courthouses and such.
    Michael@massmeans.com | Zeleny@post.harvard.edu | westcoastguns@gmail.com | larvatus prodeo @ livejournal | +1-323-363-1860 | “If at first you don’t succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.” — Curly Howard, 1936 | “All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.” — Samuel Beckett, 1984

This decision is important not for firearms, but as a win against the oppressive "Karen" regulations promulgated by many City Councils that don't REALLY believe that the Constitution restricts their power. I work in the county in question and have been employed in local government since 1990. I've been involved in planning and permitting discussions for numerous parades, events, celebrations, etc. In all of those meetings, I have been the only one to ever bring up constitutional rights when making a decision on an issue. Vagueness is a serious problem with many municipal codes, which mostly follow a model. Remember, the bottom of the class in medical school is still called doctor and the bottom of the class in Law school is called City Attorney, in most cases.

While it is obvious that Zeleny's protest was stupid and ineffective, it ain't government's job to decide who gets to protest, based on which powerful interests are offended. Menlo Park is about as smug and woke as a City can get. Their Streisand-effect antics led to this decision.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    While it is obvious that Zeleny's protest was stupid and ineffective, it ain't government's job to decide who gets to protest, based on which powerful interests are offended. Menlo Park is about as smug and woke as a City can get. Their Streisand-effect antics led to this decision.
    Opinions differ. I am of the mind that the stupidest choice in this life is working for hire, because your employer collects your surplus value and fires you at will. As for ineffective, my performance art has funded itself and kept me in beer and skittles over the past 16 years, while its collateral benefits included the banishment of an incestuous ChiCom paedophile, and valuable Constitutional lessons taught to Bay Area authorities at their own expense. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

Opinions differ. I am of the mind that the stupidest choice in this life is working for hire, because your employer collects your surplus value and fires you at will. As for ineffective, my performance art has funded itself and kept me in beer and skittles over the past 16 years, while its collateral benefits included the banishment of an incestuous ChiCom paedophile, and valuable Constitutional lessons taught to Bay Area authorities at their own expense. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.
    You have convinced no one. No one. The people that drove by your performance art were either scared, or thought, "What a weirdo." No one thought, "Gee, I want to be on that guy's team." I support your right to protest. I also think you're probably on the spectrum and fail to realize how out of the norm your behavior is. The City of Menlo Park is not going to hold a Zeleny Day Parade and you are not getting to shag the prom queen. Freedom is scary, and I realize all of its implications. Like Larry Flynt and the Hustler obscenity ruling, you won, but don't expect any dinner party invitations.

So Menlo Park got the hero the city deserves, not the hero the city needs.

On a more serious note, egregious abridgments of freedom seem to spark egregious acts by those acting to lessen the shackles on personal liberty. I may not agree that Zeleny moved the needle, but I admire his willingness to make change happen by working within the system. Nothing is more American than acting out against tyranny. And he did it without violence.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    You have convinced no one. No one. The people that drove by your performance art were either scared, or thought, "What a weirdo." No one thought, "Gee, I want to be on that guy's team." I support your right to protest. I also think you're probably on the spectrum and fail to realize how out of the norm your behavior is. The City of Menlo Park is not going to hold a Zeleny Day Parade and you are not getting to shag the prom queen. Freedom is scary, and I realize all of its implications. Like Larry Flynt and the Hustler obscenity ruling, you won, but don't expect any dinner party invitations.
    Follow the money, sunshine. I started this gig sixteen years ago with zero capital on hand, by forgoing $72,500,000.00 in litigation assets. Over the years, my costs of performance art have added up in the low seven figures. And yet here I am, living the life of Riley on Mt Olympus. Figure out my rates of return accordingly.

As for being on the spectrum, I own it ever since my four year old son has been so diagnosed. Boo-fucking-hoo.

User Tag List