Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zeleny v. Bonta: a Small Win for Gun Rights

Site Supporter
    Mt Olympus, Los Angeles, CA, United States

Zeleny v. Bonta: a Small Win for Gun Rights

Zeleny v. Bonta, né Zeleny v. Brown, in District Court, N.D. California (3:17-cv-07357): Judge rules that “Menlo Park’s [special event permitting] process and film permitting process are facially unconstitutional prior restraints” in my lawsuit seeking to carry firearms during a protest.

Long story short, unloaded open and concealed carry is about to become legal again in California, upon receipt of a “shall issue” Entertainment Firearms Permit, preferably accompanied by “shall issue” film or entertainment event permits.

Elsewhere in his ruling, Judge Seeborg notes that the First Amendment protects only conduct that is intended to convey a particularized message, implicitly disregarding the particularized message of open carry formulated by the Black Panthers in 1967: “We won’t go down without a fight.” Moreover, in regard of plaintiff’s Equal Protection claim, he insinuates, but fails to spell out, the rational basis for discriminating against the Black Panthers, in favor of makers of a movie about them.
    Michael@massmeans.com | Zeleny@post.harvard.edu | westcoastguns@gmail.com | larvatus prodeo @ livejournal | +1-323-363-1860 | “If at first you don’t succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.” — Curly Howard, 1936 | “All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.” — Samuel Beckett, 1984

Outstanding!

Congratulations. Interesting decision with lots of take aways for the mandarins that work for most city governments.

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    Congratulations. Interesting decision with lots of take aways for the mandarins that work for most city governments.
    Weird; do you think those of other races will also have take-aways from it?
    Jules
    Runcible Works

I don't know how this provides for improving the position of non-belligerents.

"Zeleny’s motion for summary judgment against the State is denied in its entirety, and the State’s cross-motion for summary judgment is granted in its entirety. Zeleny’s motion for summary judgment against Menlo Park and Dave Bertini is granted as to its request for judgment that Menlo Park’s SEP permitting process and film permitting process are facially unconstitutional prior restraints, and denied in all other respects. The cross-motion for summary judgment brought by Menlo Park and Dave Bertini is granted as to its request for judgment that Zeleny may not seek injunctive relief against Bertini under Ex Parte Young, and denied in all other respects."

I feel bad for those that had to put up with the theatrics along the way.
    Jules
    Runcible Works

Quote Originally Posted by runcible View Post
    Weird; do you think those of other races will also have take-aways from it?
    Am I missing the sarcasm?

Site Supporter
    Mt Olympus, Los Angeles, CA, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by runcible View Post
    I don't know how this provides for improving the position of non-belligerents.
    California law exempts authorized participants in film or video productions and entertainment events from its bans on open and concealed carry of firearms. Supreme Court precedents deny the state the authority to restrict speech based on its material trappings and degree of professionalism. Strap on your smartphone set to record video, and you are good to go.
    Michael@massmeans.com | Zeleny@post.harvard.edu | westcoastguns@gmail.com | larvatus prodeo @ livejournal | +1-323-363-1860 | “If at first you don’t succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.” — Curly Howard, 1936 | “All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.” — Samuel Beckett, 1984

@zeleny, @jetfire, knock it off. Pistol Forum doesn’t need to keep witnessing your spats.

I’m deleting the post with the homophobic slur. Actually, I’m just going to delete a bunch of posts and see what happens.

Locked threads and timeouts are the next steps.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I miss Doodie Project

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    upon receipt of a “shall issue” Entertainment Firearms Permit
    So you can pay about $100 to get that one year permit (then cheaper to renew annually), then if required get a filming permit for the location, and then carry an empty weapon while you film it when/where your permit is for?

Congrats, I guess. CA must suck indeed if that's a win.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List