Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interesting event today got me thinking

He get's out and yells and screams, I stare straight ahead and ignore him while watching him.
    He approaches my vehicle yelling and screaming but unarmed I politely force my way into traffic preferably going with traffic but against it if I have to.
    He get's out with a weapon I drive around or over him depending on where the gap is.
    Seatbelt and handgun are way down the importance list when I have 2000# of internal combustion powered steel wrapped around me.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

We are diminished
    (1) Add me to the list of "I aiwb, belt is below my gun, shirt is above the belt, in-car draw is identical to my normal draw" people.

(2) Setting aside all the great advice to maneuver and drive away, I've certainly been in traffic that absolutely would not allow such a thing. I don't care who you are, what you drive, or what awesome tactical driving course you took... if you think you can't find yourself boxed in you're right up there with the people who say they don't need weapons retention skills because they can't be approached by people with evil intent. You know, because they have Awareness and stuff.

(3) As a general rule, if my car is not in DRIVE my seatbelt is off. If something looks hinky at a stoplight, sometimes I'll take the belt off if opportunity to drive away seems low.

When all you have is a hammer, the world looks like a nail applies here.
    The majority of the time you'll have an out with the vehicle, focusing on the gun is the incorrect "immediate action drill".
    Heavy application of the skinny pedal and a complete disregard for sheetmetal goes a long ways towards taking the initiative against an attacker on foot.
    There's nothing like the possibility of being smashed between two cars and smeared across the street to expose how vulnerable someone is on foot against a vehicle.
    Then there's the difficulty in getting bullets into and out of vehicles and on target.
    Cars aren't bulletproof but they dang sure are good at deflecting them.
    That said.
    Ankle carry rules the day in vehicles.
    If you want to have a gun in hand yet still secured while seated and belted in a car there's nothing better than a gun on your left ankle.
    Raise pants leg and get a grip, much faster and more positive than trying to get at a waist carried gun while seated.
    It also works under more seated conditions (think rental cars).
    From bench seats in a pickup to tight wrap around bucket seats in a sports car your ankle is more accessable more often than your waist.
    Last edited by JodyH; 07-28-2012 at 11:33 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    They needed to shoot at the passenger compartment from the corners of the car in addition to straight on.
    I've skipped rounds off the side glass and the windshield while standing 3' and 45 degrees off the front corner of the car, same with the doors and windshield pillar.

User Tag List