Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Biden is bringing back showerhead regulations that Trump had done away with

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    One of the things I do not like about my new house is that it has a traditional tanked hot water heater.

Frankly, I think more important than 2.5gpm shower heads is eliminating tanked water heaters and replacing them all with instants.
    I had a tank heater replaced a few months ago. I talked to my plumber about tankless and he wasn’t a big fan. Unfortunately I don’t recall what he thought the drawbacks were.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I had a tank heater replaced a few months ago. I talked to my plumber about tankless and he wasn’t a big fan. Unfortunately I don’t recall what he thought the drawbacks were.
    My tank went TU 3 weeks ago. My plumber said that the biggest obstacle is (for me) the need for a larger supply line from the utility to the heater. A tank can run on fewer BTU's since it heats water in advance. An instant requires way more "instant" BTU's to heat water to a similar temp on an as needed basis. My >25yo house would need an expensive upgrade to the gas line, assuming he wasn't BS-ing me.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

3D printer go brrrrrrrrrrrr

I believe this is the default ban response these days.

Low flow - I don't like the sound of that...

I just had a layover in a hotel in Mexico City a few weeks ago. I had almost forgotten how fantastic a shower with no regard for water use was.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Quote Originally Posted by vsdtrek View Post
    3D printer go brrrrrrrrrrrr

I believe this is the default ban response these days.
    You could sell 80% complete kits! Just add the restrictor to have a 100% compliant device!
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    How do tankless water heaters handle well water? Do they draw more power overall than a traditional water heater?
    I have lost three consecutive tankless electrics (and given up on the concept completely) due to living on rural water, they will not tolerate bubbles or any sort of air void. Those sorts of things and outages that simply happen out here, will certainly happen at some point with a well pump. I think it is a different story with gas versions, but the electric ones will burn up an element in a heartbeat if air gets in the line.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    I have lost three consecutive tankless electrics (and given up on the concept completely) due to living on rural water, they will not tolerate bubbles or any sort of air void. Those sorts of things and outages that simply happen out here, will certainly happen at some point with a well pump. I think it is a different story with gas versions, but the electric ones will burn up an element in a heartbeat if air gets in the line.
    Isn’t that one of the reasons you use a temper tank on the supply line?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Isn’t that one of the reasons you use a temper tank on the supply line?
    It will not always cover for a jet pump losing its priming, or losing its pressure during a power outage and the air slugs getting in the line. There is a sort of backward slippage as the pressure drops during a power outage that pulls air into the system from the taps. The tank won't keep the pressure in place forever, in fact mine used to let the pressure drop enough for that to happen in about 3-4 hours.

Since I moved to the local rural water system the problem is worse, they dump an air spike in the system every time they have any break anywhere in the 5-6 miles between me and their tank.

I think this is all much less of a problem in the city.

User Tag List