Page 18 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Carry a 1911? Gun Guys

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Anything that he doesn't cover in "Stay in the Fight"?
    I haven’t read that in a long time but I don’t remember anything like that being in there.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    I listened to that podcast. I was skeptical about Kyle's reporting of the Unit's 1911 malfunctions. I'm not remembering exactly and correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he say 2 malfunctions per magazine in testing? Well then why issue a gun that problematic?
    That part confused me too.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    I listened to that podcast. I was skeptical about Kyle's reporting of the Unit's 1911 malfunctions. I'm not remembering exactly and correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he say 2 malfunctions per magazine in testing? Well then why issue a gun that problematic?
    Mr. Lamb referring to the 1911 malfunctions makes me wonder if they simply received a new batch of guns from their vendor that were problematic. Maybe it was beyond the time they had unit armorers working on their 1911s? If so, it probably hastened the move to Glocks.

It's surprising someone shipped a bunch of guns to a Tier 1 unit that hadn't been vetted properly and had so many malfunctions, when you can go buy a 45 ACP 1911 off the shelf from any of several manufacturers and chances are it will run just fine. I've lost track of how many different 45 1911s I've owned over the years - mostly Colt, Springfield Armory, and S&W - but I owned exactly one that had any type of problem. It was a custom-built Commander that wouldn't feed crappy range ammo. That's it.

That said, my appreciation for Glocks has grown a great deal in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    I second this!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Mr. Lamb referring to the 1911 malfunctions makes me wonder if they simply received a new batch of guns from their vendor that were problematic. Maybe it was beyond the time they had unit armorers working on their 1911s? If so, it probably hastened the move to Glocks.

It's surprising someone shipped a bunch of guns to a Tier 1 unit that hadn't been vetted properly and had so many malfunctions, when you can go buy a 45 ACP 1911 off the shelf from any of several manufacturers and chances are it will run just fine. I've lost track of how many different 45 1911s I've owned over the years - mostly Colt, Springfield Armory, and S&W - but I owned exactly one that had any type of problem. It was a custom-built Commander that wouldn't feed crappy range ammo. That's it.

That said, my appreciation for Glocks has grown a great deal in recent years.
    Were they Colts?

Kyle is a good dude in my book but he got behind S&W when the M&P came out. I had more issues with M&P 1.0s than I ever have with my 1911s.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Were they Colts?
    At that point they were probably from Springfield Armory. But I'm about as far from "in the know" about that as one can get.

Site Supporter
    I had more issues with M&P 1.0s than I ever have with my 1911s.
    I certainly don't doubt you, but that's the opposite of most people's experience. Of the four M&P 1.0s I've had, two had one issue each (the 40 had the broken slide release and the 45 - a really early one - a dead trigger, both fixed under warranty), and the other two none. My two 1911s work now, but it was a fight.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I certainly don't doubt you, but that's the opposite of most people's experience. Of the four M&P 1.0s I've had, two had one issue each (the 40 had the broken slide release and the 45 - a really early one - a dead trigger, both fixed under warranty), and the other two none. My two 1911s work now, but it was a fight.
    Were they Colts?
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    Were they Colts?
    Yup, both Series 70s, '80s production.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    It's surprising someone shipped a bunch of guns to a Tier 1 unit that hadn't been vetted properly and had so many malfunctions,
    Larry Vickers has discussed in at least a couple of videos I've watched the issues they had when they tried to get STIs to run. Apparently there were so many problems they were returned for a refund and STI later sold them off as either demo models or just plain old used inventory.

Chuck Pressburg has mentioned in a couple of P&S podcasts having the same difficulties when one of his units tried to go with STIs in .40. I believe the phrase he used was "I couldn't trust it unless I had an armorer in my pack".

Not busting on STI, just a couple of data points to note it's not unheard of.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I like my antiques, and happily carry a 1911 or a Hipower, but should some fool put me in charge of picking sidearms for professionals, there's no way in heck I'd go with either.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List