Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 LastLast

Thread: Why Carry a 1911? Gun Guys

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Taylor View Post
    May be earlier ones but the first pistol I am aware of that had "drop in" parts was the 1911 manufactured for the war effort. This all went away as more and more companies started production of the design and made their own changes. Glock and H&K have or had for years nobody making aftermarket parts that were not to their specs. I have had fit parts to Glocks and M&Ps , never owned a HK. 100 years has nothing to do with it.
    1911s originated in a time when skilled labor was cheap and machine time was expensive- the exact opposite of where we are today.

Even the WWII 1911s were not 100% drop in and what ever level they did achieve was an intentional choice at the expense of accuracy.

It is absolutely a century’s difference in tech and design philosophy.

Take guns out of the equation. Even 50 years ago cars required much more tuning and maintenance than they do now. Tune ups every 15 to 20k miles etc are a thing of the past.

If you are fitting parts to a Glock you are either doing something wrong or doing it for an aftermarket part because you want to.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    Off-topic but on topic. Those of you that are carrying 1911's how are you carrying and in what holster? I have always used an older Keepers but it's the one Keepers that doesn't conceal the best for me. I had an SME for a while and should have kept it. It's probably the most comfortable holster I've ever used.
    JMCK Wing Claw 2.0 -- I have a Government and a Commander sized version.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    1911s originated in a time when skilled labor was cheap and machine time was expensive- the exact opposite of where we are today.

Even the WWII 1911s were not 100% drop in and what ever level they did achieve was an intentional choice at the expense of accuracy.

Take guns out of the equation. Even 50 years ago cars required much more tuning and maintenance than they do now. Tune ups every 15 to 20k miles etc are a thing of the past.

If you are fitting parts to a Glock you are either doing something wrong or doing it for an aftermarket part because you want to.
    Spot on. Look at who was tasked at building them during the war to help with production numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    What do you prefer about the tenicor?
    It's not really a fair assessment as my JM for a 1911 is for my 5" and the tenicor holsters are for my lw champion.

I carried my Loaded a long time with no complaints in the AIWB 2.0

Site Supporter
    I have not carried a 1911 in quite some time, but when I carried one, I most commonly used a Matt Del Fatti ISP-LP, which Matt made with a modified sweat shield that holds the thumb safety in the on safe position, and includes a single side metal reinforcement as part of this modified sweat shield.

Matt is generally great to deal with, but expect to wait a long time. I waited a year and a half, and looking at his website right before posting this revealed a significantly longer wait time.

The holster holds the gun in an ideal position for good concealment. It is secure, easy to draw from, and I have not had any issues with the mouth collapsing despite reinforcement on only one side of the holster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

Good post. Why can't many of us justify - or sometimes even find - the equivalent of pre-war Smiths, pre-1964 Winchesters and the better USA-made double barrel shotguns? See the first sentence above.

Our 1911s at Casa del Gato are more nostalgia generators than working tools, but they can do the latter in a pinch... otherwise we'd probably sell them. The automotive nostalgia generators departed long ago.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Sorry. The "elegant" nod goes to the Hi-Power.
    the 1911 is 1st runner up.
    I'm going with "Elegant" for the Hi Power.

Name:  Elegent Hi Power.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  47.0 KB
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Quote Originally Posted by Amp View Post
    Great pic. Man! What a perfect place for S - 7 steel (shock resistant). Do you happen to know how many hammer-falls that took?

Cat
    Last edited by Catshooter; 08-09-2021 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MDFA View Post
    I'm going with "Elegant" for the Hi Power.

Name:  Elegent Hi Power.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  47.0 KB
    There's no pistol sexier than a High Power.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

User Tag List