Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Carry a 1911? Gun Guys

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Larry Vickers has discussed in at least a couple of videos I've watched the issues they had when they tried to get STIs to run. Apparently there were so many problems they were returned for a refund and STI later sold them off as either demo models or just plain old used inventory.

Chuck Pressburg has mentioned in a couple of P&S podcasts having the same difficulties when one of his units tried to go with STIs in .40. I believe the phrase he used was "I couldn't trust it unless I had an armorer in my pack".

Not busting on STI, just a couple of data points to note it's not unheard of.
    I understand and that all sounds familiar. But Mr. Lamb was talking about 45 1911s during that part of the video, as he mentioned they were 8-round magazines. That leads me to believe the guns in question were single-stack 45s. Hard to believe a good company would send a bunch of shit 45s to the unit when reliable 45s are ubiquitous. But like I said, I ain't in the know about what went down.

And I'm not trying to argue that 1911s were a better choice than the 9mm Glocks they eventually switched to. Just the story Mr. Lamb is relating seems strange is all -- no disrespect intended.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    I listened to that podcast. I was skeptical about Kyle's reporting of the Unit's 1911 malfunctions. I'm not remembering exactly and correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he say 2 malfunctions per magazine in testing? Well then why issue a gun that problematic?
    Do you happen to have a link to the Podcast?
    Thanks

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Early 1.0s in 9/40 in general had issues with dead triggers, slide stops breaking etc.

Those issues were resolved by the time the 1.0 .45s came out.

The only unresolved issue was the 1.0 9mm FS and 1.0 9mm 5" accuracy issues. APEX and others solved it via re-engineered barrels. The weird thing was the 1.0.40s exhibited acceptable accuracy and the .45s were exceptionally accurate.

The 2.0 9mm have acceptable accuracy.
    My brother has a 2.0 and it will require an aftermarket barrel to group acceptably. I've shot it compared to my other M&Ps and this gun is about only able to get rounds going the same direction but no accuracy at all.

As for 1911s for a military group...yeah bad idea. I can keep my guns running without problems but that's just for me. Not for a group of dudes. There's better options for a military group.

But there is no better individual handgun if you're looking for accuracy and if you're willing to maintain it and learn some basic armorer level repairs, it'll be just as reliable as any other pistol.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    My brother has a 2.0 and it will require an aftermarket barrel to group acceptably. I've shot it compared to my other M&Ps and this gun is about only able to get rounds going the same direction but no accuracy at all.

As for 1911s for a military group...yeah bad idea. I can keep my guns running without problems but that's just for me. Not for a group of dudes. There's better options for a military group.

But there is no better individual handgun if you're looking for accuracy and if you're willing to maintain it and learn some basic armorer level repairs, it'll be just as reliable as any other pistol.

The only 2.0 I own is a.40, however, I've shot @JM Campbell's pair of 2.0 9mm compacts which had no issues.

A 1911 can be a good gun for an individual but there are modern guns that can be just as accurate with less hassle.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The only 2.0 I own is a.40, however, I've shot @JM Campbell's pair of 2.0 9mm compacts which had no issues.

A 1911 can be a good gun for an individual but there are modern guns that can be just as accurate with less hassle.
    If I talk to someone looking for a .45 that's as reliable as a hammer and crazy accurate and softer shooting than a 1911, my usual suggestion is a Glock 21.

It's crazy and definitely not the common opinion, but I think the Glock 21/Glock 30 is the best Glock family and I think the government model 1911 in 9mm or .38 super is the best 1911.

My experience with other .45s is limited however. Never shot a p220 and found the M&P45 to not be as accurate as the G21. But again...sub 2 inch 5 shot groups with G21s/G30s at 25 yards are common. I cannot believe how accurate my 3rd gen G21 was and I most regret selling that gun over any other.

But for a plastic fantastic 9mm, I'm a big fan of the M&P...I just add an aftermarket barrel and the accuracy far exceeds what I can do with a Glock. Though recently I've found the CZ P-07 to be exceptional as well.

Still, the 1911 maintenance thing is overblown for a personal handgun IMO. They aren't that difficult to get running.

And the ability to fit new parts as needed is useful.

My memory is pretty fuzzy on this but someone told me some units from the 101st were deploying with Glock 21’s as secondary weapons. I could never verify this. I was embedded with some 101st dudes during OEF and I don’t remember seeing any Glocks of any type. But they were a pretty standard issue 11B company.

The M&P45 is one of the softest shooting plastic 45’s I’ve ever shot. And they seem to be really accurate. One of those with a thumb safety would be pretty hard to beat if I really wanted to carry a 45. It’s a shame the 9mm’s don’t have the same accuracy.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Site Supporter
    If I talk to someone looking for a .45 that's as reliable as a hammer and crazy accurate and softer shooting than a 1911, my usual suggestion is a Glock 21.

It's crazy and definitely not the common opinion, but I think the Glock 21/Glock 30 is the best Glock family and I think the government model 1911 in 9mm or .38 super is the best 1911.

My experience with other .45s is limited however. Never shot a p220 and found the M&P45 to not be as accurate as the G21. But again...sub 2 inch 5 shot groups with G21s/G30s at 25 yards are common. I cannot believe how accurate my 3rd gen G21 was and I most regret selling that gun over any other.

But for a plastic fantastic 9mm, I'm a big fan of the M&P...I just add an aftermarket barrel and the accuracy far exceeds what I can do with a Glock. Though recently I've found the CZ P-07 to be exceptional as well.

Still, the 1911 maintenance thing is overblown for a personal handgun IMO. They aren't that difficult to get running.

You know it’s funny you say this. My brother has a Gen 3 Glock 21 and it’s about 20-ish years old. That gun is lights out accurate and easy to shoot accurately. So much so that yesterday after drilling I sat there and thought “Man, maybe an old Gen 3 G21 makes sense at some point”. It is baffling how accurate that gun is and it’s frame size is big enough it is a soft push.

Never would have guessed TBH.
    God Bless,

Brandon

I'm shooting my Gen 3 G21 tomorrow at the Port Townsend GSSF match is multiple divisions. The G21 is my most difficult Glock to shoot for me, as I have an inordinate compulsion to hammer the trigger at the expese of triggerpull control and sight alignment....I have to consciously work on it, and on follow-through.

The innate accuracy, durability and reliability of it continues to impress. Working on my software skills....

Best, Jon

The G21 makes me wish my hands were just a liiittle big larger...
    IME they shoot great and are very accurate, great guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbninftry View Post
    Do you happen to have a link to the Podcast?
    Thanks
    EP 102 1911 or 2011 vs Striker Fired Pistols also Training for Home Invasions
    Team VTAC with Kyle Lamb

The old 1911 vs any other gun is a truly time tested and continued saga of gnashing of teeth and wetting of beds. Kyle talks about why and why not. He also discusses training for Home Invasion, God Bless America!!
    Listen on Apple Podcasts: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000529263870

User Tag List