Page 9 of 36 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Carry a 1911? Gun Guys

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CLaw View Post
    Funny to hear "...1911s aren't shot much..." in matches.
    Even back in 04-05 I was usually one of maybe a maximum of 3 people shooting a single stack (in limited 10) at different area USPSA matches and even at the state championship I think there were only four of us. I can’t imagine the numbers have increased that much since then.

One final edit:My 1911 heresy is that I do prefer railed models over non-railed, for both functionality and aesthetics. If you’re gonna have a full sized pistol in 2021 it ought to accept a light, because the dark is scary.
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 07-22-2021 at 08:27 PM.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Even back in 04-05 I was usually one of maybe a maximum of 3 people shooting a single stack (in limited 10) at different area USPSA matches and even at the state championship I think there were only four of us. I can’t imagine the numbers have increased that much since then.

One final edit:My 1911 heresy is that I do prefer railed models over non-railed, for both functionality and aesthetics. If you’re gonna have a full sized pistol in 2021 it ought to accept a light, because the dark is scary.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    The first RO we got was railed... and we got it simply because it was the one they had marked down to move it. It remains the one that is considered the most utilitarian of the lot, and the olive/black micarta VZ grips on it further that impression.

It's a relatively heavy beast, but is remarkably docile and controllable; the fact that we can add a TLR-1 to it as wanted is icing on the cake. I think we are done acquiring shooting irons, but if not, anything new in semiautos will have a rail.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

https://youtu.be/3qoOAADL5kY

First half.

I think the bottom line is that there are a lot of great guns out there. There are a lot of great instructors and people willing to share information. Wilson is focusing on putting out content that helps sell his product. They just did a video on Berettas too. Who can blame him? Kyle will be an advocate for Sig. He gets paid by them and freely admits it in the video. I don't think they are being unethical here. Just because they are marketing for a company doesn't make them evil or their opinions invalid. We are all here talking about guns and picking favorites for the same psychological reasons we traded baseball cards as kids. At the end of the day, I know that I should talk about guns themselves less and more about my shooting. But, guns are more than tools to many of us, for all the good and bad that comes along with that.

I know what you mean. I'm close on the two, day to day may prefer one or the other. I've 3 railed and one non, a clue I guess.
    Next up will be a retro I think. Leaning to the Nighthawk Colt offering.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I took Gabe’s class the year BC (before COVID). Day one I used my Springfield operator in 45. I couldn’t miss that day. Draws were slightly slower than I would like but overall times were great. My confidence level was high. By the end of the day managing ammo (reloads) with 8 round magazines was becoming a pain. And my hands hurt.

Day two I used my Glock 17. I struggled to make the accuracy standards. My brain and the Glock trigger don’t interface well. I had to slow down just a bit to keep the rounds where they were supposed to be. I didn’t worry about managing ammo though.

Match experience. I always finish high when shooting a 1911 even against plastic service pistols. But reloads and draws are still a bit slower. I usually make up for it with accuracy. Some of my worst performances have been with a Glock. I’m much more likely to have a bad day with a Glock than a 1911.

I’ve carried a 1911 but they can be a bit of a PITA. They’re heavy. Gear needs to be dialed in to handle that extra weight. They’re thin. That’s a good thing. They’re oily. They’re more prone to rusting. Good finishes help. I always carry a spare magazine with a 1911. I don’t usually worry about it with a Glock 17.

I really wanted the Wilson EDC X9 to be THE gun but they still seem to have some reliability issues. Maybe if CZ ever releases their version it will be the gun. But I’ve pretty much given up on that pistol already.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    I really wanted the Wilson EDC X9 to be THE gun but they still seem to have some reliability issues. Maybe if CZ ever releases their version it will be the gun. But I’ve pretty much given up on that pistol already.
    Staccato C2?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by CLaw View Post
    https://youtu.be/3qoOAADL5kY

First half.

I think the bottom line is that there are a lot of great guns out there. There are a lot of great instructors and people willing to share information. Wilson is focusing on putting out content that helps sell his product. They just did a video on Berettas too. Who can blame him? Kyle will be an advocate for Sig. He gets paid by them and freely admits it in the video. I don't think they are being unethical here. Just because they are marketing for a company doesn't make them evil or their opinions invalid. We are all here talking about guns and picking favorites for the same psychological reasons we traded baseball cards as kids. At the end of the day, I know that I should talk about guns themselves less and more about my shooting. But, guns are more than tools to many of us, for all the good and bad that comes along with that.
    It doesn't matter how good the product is, once you endorse it you're just a shill. Heaven forbid anyone in business acutally makes any money because you know, then you're a sell out.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Do you guys feel the difference in ease of reload with a magwell over no magwell, is worth the extra length weight and cost?

Site Supporter
    There was a a period of years when the only time I was shooting a 1911 was at an IDPA monthly match as one of two guns on an infrequent basis. Despite it being months between live firing the pistol, I was always as good or better with the 1911 than I was with a G34/35 which I was shooting on a near weekly basis and dry firing with 2-3x a week.

I continue to wait for the DW Love child between the CZ and the 1911. Should that gun ever be available in a meaningful way, I strongly suspect I will spend money I may not have for one and then another of said pistols.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

User Tag List