Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Carry a 1911? Gun Guys

Site Supporter
    Daaammnn look at dem serrations

im strong, i can run faster than train

The funny thing is while I don't carry a special 1911 or wear a fancy watch these days, I have no issue with someone who does.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Knock yourself out but not for me. I’m not a hipster and there are no practical advantages to 9x23 other than being rimless, which doesn’t matter in single stack mags.

The only reason I’d even bother with 38 Super is it’s the correct length to function properly in 1911s. It’s reasonably common, and at least some smaller ammo companies like Wilson load defensive ammo with modern Bullet designs. Power level is similar to +P 9mm which is fine.
    The semi rim is still not ideal, even in a single stack. On the other hand, tapered cartridges aren’t ideal either. Admittedly, both are super minor nuances to overcome, rimless .38 super is most ideal IMO.

I remember in the 80's and 90's every single Guns&Blammo magazines had a "custom" 1911 in the cover, and inside rivers of ink extolling its extraordinary virtues...

Nothing much have changed

Even the same guys

@GJM Did you also own and use 1911s with magwells added on and did you notice a big difference in reload ease and speed that makes them well worth it? Or did you feel they aren’t all that needed?

Site Supporter
    Not slamming anyone or their choice in handgun. I carried a Glock on duty for 21 out of 28 years.

But before you slam the 1911, ask yourself the question. Will your plastic fantastic handgun still be around and as popular as the 1911 is 110 years from now? And who will be making the video about it if it is still around? It won't be any of us. Just Saying....
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    I never cared for 1911s until I was handed my old geezer starter set and added the optional "screw this s***, I am going to get something I can enjoy shooting" accessory pack. Not knowing any better, I went with all-steel 9x19s and had good luck lightning strike every time... they are the shooting equivalents of driving a big old Mopar "C"-body from the days of the big blocks. Am I pleased with them? Why, man, yes! Old guy, "old" gun... works on so many levels.

After learning the individual attributes of each of the 1911s, would I use one in a pinch during unpleasantness? Yes. Carry one for CCW? I have done it on RARE occasions. Are they be the best/first choice for a serious defensive pistol for me? No.

But damnitall, they sure ride nice.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Name:  Glock - 1911.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  38.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Little strip tease...

Attachment 74634
    I like the little way the lines run across the back of the slide
    I've always liked those kind of sights, too, ya know I
    No, no, no, no don't take 'em off
    Don't take... leave 'em on
    Yeah, that's it... a little more to the right

Everybody wants some
    I want some too
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I get it. Over the past two weeks I’ve missed a SACS massaged 9mm and a clean ‘79 Colt Government in .45 someone put some love into because I keep telling myself I’m saving up “just a little more” for something special but I’m not sure what yet.
    I've had 2K in my safe for 6 months earmarked for another pistol or revolver. I put it there when I sold two 1911's. So far I haven't a clue what to buy. I even bought dies and brass for a 44 mag something or other but never bought one. Probably not a good time to be thinking about buying anything anyway.

Now I'm thinking I need a 38 Super. Fun to ponder. Off to the regular sites to see if any are out there.
    Last edited by Borderland; 07-22-2021 at 09:19 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List