Page 12 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Carry a 1911? Gun Guys

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    Maybe I need to start shooting that Beretta again after all. Last time I took a serious stab at Berettas I had been shooting Glocks.
    Find a 92X. I just got back from the range shooting mine along with the TRP I got from you and there's a lot of similarities in feel.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I like the idea of 1911 magwells, but the execution often leaves something to be desired. I learned that the hard way when I somehow pinched the toe of a magwell that was part of a mainspring housing closed enough to not allow the magazine in the pistol to be easily or quickly removed. So now, any 1911 with a magwell looks like this. If I bend the toe on this type, it probably was run over by a truck, and I have bigger problems. Another benefit is this magwell adds no additional length.

And, yes, the magwell helps a lot with reloads, especially after shooting a double-stack anything for a while. I have had some spectacularly bad reloads with the 1911 without an enlarged opening when I have not regularly and recently practiced. For me, 1911 reloading is a very perishable skill.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hammertime
    Not much to add but this is that sort of thread.

1911s are beautiful. Just beautiful. And still relevant and absolutely can get the job done.

I had my fun with a few but simply don’t miss them and especially don’t miss missing the grip safety occasionally and getting a dead trigger. I would probably pin it or delete it if I seriously used them.

When I first bought my DW Valkryie 9mil Commander..... had to have a magwell. My reloads are much more consistent that one without. I decided to go with a Wilson Combat magwell Alum. it was pricey and the fit was excellent. A true drop in.

I sold it because of 10 round mag finickiness.

I felt it was a good enough piece to ask the person I sold it to if he still had it and was interested in selling back (unless it was all beat to hell) plus I was going to focus on 9 rnd mags.

I got it back and wished I had kept the WC magwell (it was sold separate to the DWV)

The only real issue with the WC Alum magwell was the anodizing did not hold up well to alot of handling (black finish wore exposing silver base color)

I decided to go with the Chen magwell (blue steel) based on reviews and was considerably cheaper than the WC.

It was not a true drop in as the WC was with a slight gap to the frame, the fangs or toes over hung the frame (needed fitting) but it was not bad.

I bought EB 9 round mags and the toes of the magwell would stick on the ext mag bases. I was going to wait till winter time to clean up the toenails but decided to touch them up a bit. It needs a little more fine tuning, but its close.

Here are original photos

Current fit

here is a 2 year old pic with the WC magwell
    Last edited by SW CQB 45; 07-24-2021 at 01:20 AM.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

I really wanted the Wilson EDC X9 to be THE gun but they still seem to have some reliability issues. Maybe if CZ ever releases their version it will be the gun. But I’ve pretty much given up on that pistol already.
    Do you know this through experience or word of mouth? I have had no issues with mine, and I put a variety of rounds through it. I trust it way before any traditional 9 mm 1911. Not only does it use a 9 mm specific magazine, but when the magazine is in the gun the round has a direct line straight into the barrel, sort of like the Beretta 92.

I really wanted the Wilson EDC X9 to be THE gun but they still seem to have some reliability issues.
    I have a high round count X9 and it’s been exceptionally reliable.

I generally don’t clean my guns until they choke and this one runs and runs.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I have a high round count X9 and it’s been exceptionally reliable.

I generally don’t clean my guns until they choke and this one runs and runs.
    Yeah, that was the first post that I have ever seen mentioning X9s having reliability problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post

1911s are beautiful. Just beautiful. And still relevant and absolutely can get the job done.

I had my fun with a few but simply don’t miss them and especially don’t miss missing the grip safety occasionally and getting a dead trigger. I would probably pin it or delete it if I seriously used them.
    Agree with everything you said here.

Every time I read a thread like this and start thinking about wanting to carry a 1911 again, I remind myself how easy it is for me to miss the grip safety and those thoughts quickly get left behind.

One of these days I may have to check out some of the newer designs that get rid of the grip safety like the Wilson EDCX9, and that Dan Wesson model which I don't believe his actually made it into production yet.

I saw a post from Bruce Gray many years ago where he took the grip safety, and split it in half, and fixed the tail portion to the gun solidly. Therefore only the vertical portion actually functioned as a safety.

Quote Originally Posted by CLaw View Post
    Yeah, that was the first post that I have ever seen mentioning X9s having reliability problems.
    I am aware of one EDC X9L that suffers stoppages with some standard pressure ammo. I am not aware of any EDC X9 pistols that have reliability issues. Mine has been extremely reliable, on par with Beretta 92 reliability. The longer slide in the EDC X9L adds enough mass and/or friction to cause some issues due to lower slide velocity.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post

Safeties will get you kilt in da streetz.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List