Page 14 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Carry a 1911? Gun Guys

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    Seems like their are more of these in use on this forum than I realized.
    Yes, I have a standard and two smalls. Would also looking enjoy hearing more about higher round count guns.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Seems like their are more of these in use on this forum than I realized.
    I have two non-railed EDC X9 pistols with the same sight setup (gold bead front with the stock adjustable rear), and I spent a good part of 2020 transitioning to the EDC X9 for concealed carry. Only stopped due to ammo becoming unobtanium in 2020. Very reliable pistol that shoots like a 1911 but reloads like a Glock 19.

My edc x9 was boringly reliable. And never gave any indication of impending trouble

I would love to hear more.
    I ran this as a primary gun for a while until I got back into competition with CZs.

Then the difference in grip angle retired it to the safe.

But usually hundreds and hundreds of rounds and no failures with no cleanings. Rinse and repeat.

It’s easily one of my most reliable guns.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    It's still a relevant platform in a relevant caliber. That actually says a lot about a weapon designed 110 years ago. If a 1911 is what blows your skirt, by all means go for it. I still carry a 5" sometimes just because it's so damn American, and by golly I just like it.
    I'm in a high-cap ban state; 8 or 9 rounds of .45 in a 1911 seems pretty damn relevant
    Last edited by Stephanie B; 07-25-2021 at 11:53 AM.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Also tried the EDC X9. And I really like the gun. Also
    beautiful and reliable.

What killed that for me was somehow I find the 1911 trigger crispness also leads to a decent amount of anticipatory flinch on my part, and I disliked the oval round type grip. I really prefer a rectangular 2x4 type.

Ultimately it was another fun fling but not a long term relationship.
    Thread drift, but I also experience pre-ignition push with very crisp triggers. I do much better with a rolling break - just a personal issue. That said, I've been told that a good gunsmith can set up a 1911 trigger to "roll" a bit.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Thread drift, but I also experience pre-ignition push with very crisp triggers. I do much better with a rolling break - just a personal issue. That said, I've been told that a good gunsmith can set up a 1911 trigger to "roll" a bit.
    I actually shoot shitty, mushy triggers and DAO much better than crisp, short SA. I am sure it can all be trained around but I just didn't want to and since the majority of the safe is mushy crunch Glock stuff I just got out of the 1911 game.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I'm in a high-cap ban state; 8 or 9 rounds of .45 in a 1911 seems pretty damn relevant
    100%.

DW Custom Lightweight Commander.

In a capacity-restricted world, the 1911 argument is a strong one. Like everyone's said, it's a slim gun that holsters safely, and moving away from the .45 caliber, 5" slide, steel frame pattern of the original can produce a carry gun of modest size, weight, and recoil.

Long hammer hooks, and smooth surfaces between the sear and hammer are what I understand it takes to get the more "rolling" sort of 1911 trigger, and I would agree that the "rolling" 1911 trigger is a pleasurable one to shoot.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

It’s been a couple of years since I’ve carried a full size 1911. This Dan Wesson Vigil CCO in 9mm is the only one of my several 1911’s that I’ve carried for the past year. It’s 110% reliable, accurate, and easy to conceal in warmer months. In colder months, I tend to carry a S&W 686+ revolver. Those with a keen eye might detect a change in the grip safety. I was t always getting full engagement on the first shot, so the good folks at DW shipped out a real grip safety for $100. I was using a rubber band, but that never seemed like a good idea…

Name:  549F66CB-80BD-41DD-BB6A-12F04ABDDC5F.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  80.0 KB

User Tag List